Window 10 Update

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
In my above post I mentioned "trust" ...everything is about our level of trust. ...The trust we give and the trust we're getting back.
So what you just posted above is simply the way of life, tout a fait normal. ...The agreement is understandable and nobody is responsible but us.
In same way the Youtube copyright strike system is based on "trust" and yet is abused by some of the major corps, or even goes wrong and has done some major automatic take-downs.
Just recently the live feed of Sky News was taken down, conflicting reports suggest either Fox News did a manual complaint (strange considering they are both integral to Murdoch) or the automatic system went wrong.
An example of the abuse/issues reported by torrentfreak: https://torrentfreak.com/youtubes-content-id-piracy-filter-wreaks-havoc-110908/
Now all it needs to mess around with Win10 in future is a strong "lobbyist" type organisation to become heavily involved, and that does exist as Big Content.

In the past some of the DRM ring 0 based software has caused serious issues for legal owners due to the developers interpretation of "legal use" for software and hardware that can be used for legal or illegal copyright.
In the UK a law has passed that makes it illegal to copy the digital music to another format.....
This can be a right pain in the backside because again interpretation could have severe repercussions if say copyright lobbyists become more active (watch out for Big Content and those like it).

This is just a quick snapshot of what is happening today.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
My Dell was bought new from Dell's online here in the UK and the buying process was first class.
They did have some factory refurbished units for sale at a good discount and with warranty but I decided to treat myself.
I went for the top of the range 17.3" screen as like you I am retired so I don't need one to carry around. I can move it around the house and the big screen comes in handy as you get older.
I don't know if Dell operate the same way where you are but probably worth checking out.
Good hunting!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So I could not save my old system install and had to restore to year old version which fortunately was frozen in time on my 256 gigabyte SSD (the one I normally use is 1 Tbyte).

I cloned the system using Samsung supplied software from Clonix. Worked but again created the problem that caused Windows 10 to fail to install. That is, it insists on shrinking my 1 gigabyte hidden boot partition down to 100 megabytes or something like that. That doesn't leave room for a second image for Windows 10.

So after the cloning was done, I used the same program that originally crashed my system: Partition Magic's Mini Partition Tool. I tried to use Acronis but they have disabled just about everything in the Trial version. Used to be that you had 30 days for all the features so could clone a drive. Being too darn cheap :D, I abandoned that tool and used Mini Partition. The free version of that is highly functional so I used it to increase the booth partition. And size two other partitions that have HP utilities which Clonix has screwed up by a) setting them to wrong size and b) not copying anything into them!

So back and running with my large SSD and working through upgrading everything gradually. Pain in the neck to have to remember all the web site passwords though that are no longer cached by Chrome.

What a pain PCs can be....

Meanwhile my brother upgraded his laptop to Windows 10 with no issues.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Your free upgrade is waiting. For a limited time you can still get Windows 10."

Just got it again this morning. ...It sure is tempting to click on it. ...But I declined...I am too much @ peace right now with my world. :b
Classical music is playing...Bach...and all little birds are surrounding me on my veranda feeding from the plum tree ten feet from me.
And I mean all type of birds...four species right now...from the family of those little green ones to the hummingbirds to a baby woodpecker (red dots on his chest) to the very tiny black and white ones who always sleep under the edges of the mansion's roof @ night.

Can Windows 10 make me more happy than that. ...Or more @ peace. ...Should I risk it.

* Few hundred years ago they didn't have laptops and PCs and Macs. ...Few hundred years ago they didn't have internet. ...Few hundred years ago they didn't have electricity. ...Few hundred years ago they didn't have Magico and Wilson Audio speakers. ...Few hundred years ago they did have little birds.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
So is the lack of response to my question because "duh that is so obvious" :D or unaware and not interested in this mechanism and how it is working on your PC/or assuming it automatically is switched off from Internet mode, which it is not.

Cheers
Orb

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Well I'm watching from the wings here, but the thread has at the very least persuaded me to wait before attempting any upgrades! Let's see what else I should know as news like this filters out.

prerich

May 21, 2012

prerich

May 21, 2012
My laptops have Windows 10 (running fine) and a couple of HTPC's have it. My main HTPC still runs 7 due to the cable card and WMC (will display my encrypted channels). All of my Windows 10 upgrades have gone without a hitch. I performed one the other day though on a friends PC and it took 5 hours:eek:!!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It took 3 hours on my Mom's laptop yesterday. Mind you it's a cheapie Acer with a Celeron processor still. OTOH I've had no issues at all with the Win 10 installs.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I guess it depends, regarding the time it takes to install Windows 10.

* I just tried to resize my taskbar; she was much too large, and all the setting screens as well. ...And the proper method (double arrow ?) did not work!
I spent couple hours just for that! @ one point it was totally different with new logos...and I didn't know what to do.
I went in the settings for screen size and 125% was the one selected...I changed it to 100%...then I had to close the laptop off and on again, then Windows (8.1) had to update itself first, about five minutes, ...and things came back normal.

Computers are certainly not perfect, and can be quite frustrating @ times. But it's very normal; humans invented them.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

* I just tried to resize my taskbar; she was much too large, and all the setting screens as well. ...And the proper method (double arrow ?) did not work!
I spent couple hours just for that! @ one point it was totally different with new logos...and I didn't know what to do.
I went in the settings for screen size and 125% was the one selected...I changed it to 100%...then I had to close the laptop off and on again, then Windows (8.1) had to update itself first, about five minutes, ...and things came back normal.

Computers are certainly not perfect, and can be quite frustrating @ times. But it's very normal; humans invented them.
Haha! That was pretty funny Bob!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

So have you still to install Windows 10 Bob?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
So have you still to install Windows 10 Bob?

Every morning, when opening my laptop, Windows 10 is there, ready for me to install it. But every morning I simply abort.
And that free install is only for a certain period of time...it don't say for how long though.

I cannot afford taking the risk, because I only have one shot @ it, that's all...no other PC, no other laptop, no tablet.
If I would have another machine...then yes I would go for it...no problem...because then I can afford to learn, to lose, and to gain.

The best thing for me is to check with someone, in real life, who has it, or go to a computer store and explore.

* You Barry, now that you have it for a while; how is it for you as compared to what you had before?
What are the main improvements that you are truly benefiting from, and are there some other things that you would much preferred reverting to your old Windows OS?
Overall I believe you said you were happy?

Also, isn't it like kind of a personal use on person-to-person basis? Like some folks could benefit more from it than others?

There isn't enough information here @ WBF for a person to make a solid decision, IMO.
If I would have Windows 10, and people would ask me what I think when compared to Windows 8.1 and XP...then I would try my best according to my own experience in describing most attributes, pros and cons.
But Bob (me) is not the type of sophisticated computer user. I consider myself a young student with very basic knowledge...nothing close to Edward Snowden. ...Not even a fraction of one percent close.

You can earn a very good living working with computers...editing films...making music...videos...you can work for a Hollywood studio, for the CIA, the FBI, the government...
Me I'm just a simple artist, swimming @ the surface of vast seas of our world. It's a communication tool, an exchange, a learning thing, a new apprentissage, and I know less than zero percent with what I don't have and never will.

Barry, here's a good question for you: Does Windows 10 improve your life to the extent of making a better you? :b

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
I was happy with Windows 7.2 and never tried Windows 8 because of adverse comments I had read and reports of a free upgrade to Windows 10.
10 is good and seems quicker than 7 particularly on Edge when I use it though I use Firefox generally.
No regrets about going to 10 but I could have happily lived with 7 so if you are happy with 8 I can see why you are cautious about 10 The only downside is how long will 8 survive and when it goes will you have to pay for 10?
Now that 10 has been up and running for a while I would have thought that problems are less likely than at the beginning but it still took John 3 hours to load it on his Mums computer but that is a much older model than I think you have.
Perhaps a more tech savvy friend could give you a hand?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I appreciate your reply Barry.

1. Windows 8.1 is good till the year 2023 I believe...support and automatic upgrades and all. If I don't upgrade, my cost will be roughly $50 per year (laptop).
2. Edge: According to my readings, it has great potential, but has few quirks right now...not fully cooked/aged. ...Like a good meal with a good wine.
3. My laptop model is approximately three years old...it first came with Windows 8. ...And I upgraded it to 8.1
4. Google Chrome is my main browser, very very rarely that I use Internet Explorer. ...Both latest versions, of course.
5. I still have time to gather more info...and eventually install Windows 10...time is on my side...I make it my philosophy.

* I will check again to see for how long Windows 8 and 8.1 are good for, and also for Windows 7.

And you are 100% right; "a more tech savvy friend" would be my best hand...if I want to remain in the 'free' zone periphery.
The other option, after the free offer time period, is roughly hundred dollars; to pay a pro tech. I think somewhere around there.

<<EDIT>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
July 29, 2015 was the Launch of Windows 10, and we have one year from that date for the free upgrade...plenty of time.

Here are some interesting links, and the third with some FAQs ::

? www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/

? www.howtogeek.com/218880/windows-10-is-almost-here-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

? https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-10-faq

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
My only concern with the free upgrade is that it is sort of like an OEM license from what I understand; meaning that it is tied to a specific PC and in many ways hardware, changing the motherboard and processor may actually invalidate the OEM license, which may be frustrating if one has upgraded from a Win7 retail release (I assume you only get that full retail license benefit back if you cancel/back out of the Win10 upgrade within a certain amount of time).
Please notice I use the word 'may' as I do not know for sure myself that it behaves as an OEM licence.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well another reason to hold off from Win10 if one has not already upgraded:
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ill-no-longer-explain-most-windows-10-updates

The issue is not just that they are reducing the information given by these updates, it is also the fact the way they implement the updates may have massive implications on bypassing updates that cause bugs (was possible to exclude individual updates in the past) and that with Windows 10 lumping all together could be an absolute nightmare on resolving issues that a patch introduces and no streamlined process of roll-back for just the broken/bugged KBs - last point is touched later on in that article.
On top of that they seem to be pushing aspects that are more hands-on with monitoring ala Google style sigh, process being pushed to Win7 and Win8 as well.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing