Windows 8 Help Sites?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I had to buy a new laptop. I am about done loading SW so hopefully this weekend can transfer some files over and try out the processing and graphics power. In the meantime, it came with Window 8 and I hate the interface. Partly because I am so used to XP (and somewhat with Win7), but mostly because I don't like 50 bazillion little icons all over the page and don't know how to organize them into some semblance of understandable order. Also, half my programs laoded shirtcuts in the desktop, half on the new Win8 start page, and I don't know how to transfer/copy them so I have shortcuts in both places. I did upgrade to 8.1 as soon as I unpacked it since everyone said to (it would be easier to learn, upgrade would be a breeze, etc. -- it was a major PITA and how I managed to blow many hours and a week-plus elapsed time!) I know this is supposed to make life easier, but having to learn a completely new interface is just a royal pain IMO.

Enough whining, where can I go to get help? What are some good sites with guidance on configuring Win8, preferably (the horror!) to something closer to the XP interface I know? I poked around the MS site a bit but got lost... Embarrassing I can design GHz circuits and set up and test SAS-3 RAID systems but making my own computer useful, bah!

Download and install Classic Shell. Its free or you can make a donation. You can then boot directly to the desktop just like XP or Windows 7. I've used it on four Windows 8 computers

http://www.classicshell.net/

Also agree that you should do the free upgrade to windows 8.1 first and then install Classic Shell, too.

@rockitman: As my post said I installed 8.1 first thing. It is still a huge step from XP, and the install did not go smoothly for me. As a matter of fact I spent a couple of hours last night debugging and fixing a Win8.1 bug, only to find that the latest update included a fix (duh!)

@WLVCA: That looks promising, thanks!

From my first post: "I did upgrade to 8.1 as soon as I unpacked it since everyone said to (it would be easier to learn, upgrade would be a breeze, etc. -- it was a major PITA and how I managed to blow many hours and a week-plus elapsed time!)"

@rockitman: As my post said I installed 8.1 first thing. It is still a huge step from XP, and the install did not go smoothly for me. As a matter of fact I spent a couple of hours last night debugging and fixing a Win8.1 bug, only to find that the latest update included a fix (duh!)

@WLVCA: That looks promising, thanks!

From my first post: "I did upgrade to 8.1 as soon as I unpacked it since everyone said to (it would be easier to learn, upgrade would be a breeze, etc. -- it was a major PITA and how I managed to blow many hours and a week-plus elapsed time!)"

I missed that. I'm getting use to it and at this point, I think I will prefer it to Win 7.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing