World's Best Integrated Amp. ???

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I am with you, Barry. Love the Vitus integrated.

Thanks Bill.
Yes it really is an outstanding amplifier - period.
I am sure there are people, like me initially, who are deterred by its relatively modest quoted power output. I was assured that it would not be an issue and those assurances proved correct. Bought it and have been delighted with the decision. There are I gather other features of the design that compensate for the modest power output but they escape me for the moment.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I know many audiophiles think it sinful to have an integrated, but we live in an age of ever decreasing space and greater needs. To that end people ought to be able to get all out flagship integrateds imho.

The Vitus is one such item, Dartzeel (i am not a fan), devialet, asr emitter. Another superb bang for the buck is the one by storm audio.

I myself use and swear by the lavardin it. It was used as a technology demonstrator. The only limiting factor is 55watts output -but very load tolerant. I have heard different, but not necessarily better, unless spending silly money ie. Constellation...

Spot on!
Ik like me you have your system in the lounge the box count really does become an issue and it is so helpful to have an integrated which can match or exceed the sound quality of so many pre/power competitors.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
You don't need to spend "BIG MONEY" to get "REFERENCE SOUND"!

The "Law of Diminishing Returns" kick in very quickly in this hobby and then it just comes down to personal taste!

When you can compare a Integrated amp like the $$$3500 Wells Audio Majestic with A Reference $15,000 Integrated amp!... your already DEEP into the Diminishing Returns and ONLY personal taste will tell your ears what sounds best for you!:)

The Canada Dealer that compared his $15,000 Reference Audio Valve Assistent 100 "TUBE" Integrated amp!! to Wells Audio Majestic is... http://www.worldwidewholesales.com

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I wanted to find out what $15,000 Reference Integrated amp that Worldwide Wholesales was comparing to the Wells Audio Majestic to and I was SHOCKED!! to find out it was a TUBE amp!! that Robert Neill, owner of Worldwide Wholesales told in a E-mail he sent me today! Here's what Robert said...

The $15,000 TUBE Integrated amp that Robert compared to the Wells Audio Majestic was a Audio Valve Assistent 100 Integrated amp! Robert told me that he also prefers the Majestic over other TUBE Amps with the following Tube Set: KT120, KT88, EL84, 805 models. The 300B does have slightly nicer midrange but lose out in other areas to the Majestic!! What makes the Majestic so good is how smooth it is compared to other nasty solid-state Integrated amps. Robert said that he could listen to the Majestic all day and Robert told me he's... a "TUBE GUY"!:b

Here's a picture of the Audio Valve Assistent 100 Tube amp

http://www.audiovalve.info/assi100/audiovalve assistent 100.php

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
While I never heard the Wells integrated I do own the Innamorata and for the $ am quite impressed. If the integrated is close to the Innamorata or Akasha it's likely a good deal, IMO. There's a show report (not sure CES, RMAF, ??) where they ran 2 Innamoratas vs 2 Lamm M2.2 monoblocks on TAD Ref Ones (which I wish I had), a snippet below:

"We rotated back and forth between the Innamorata and the Lamn M2.2 monoblocks. Both were outstanding but different. You can easily understand the price, popularity and respect for the Lamns. They seemed to have a sharper and more defined picture of the music. Imaging and sound stage were state of the art. Proper decay and reverberation provided a Technicolor look into the recording venue. There was also a sense of refinement that most amplifiers cannot deliver.

However, the Innamorato was something of a huge surprise. Plenty of inner speed and detail. Dynamic contrasts were delivered at levels very close to the best. Not as impressive as the Lamns on these measures, but again we have those subjective variables of warmth and musicality added in with the Innamorato. I reiterate, which is correct? Which is more appealing? Are we targeting neutrality or something else?

At $23,790 per pair retail, the Lamns do more than justify their price. At $6000 retail, the Innamorato might be considered a giant killer for those on a budget. From a price perspective this might seem like a mismatch, but for my ears, the Innamorato and Reference One combination should be at the top of your audition list if budget allows."

Link: http://www.audioshark.org/amplifier...lifier-show-report-tad-ref-ones-wow-1635.html

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
While I never heard the Wells integrated I do own the Innamorata and for the $ am quite impressed. If the integrated is close to the Innamorata or Akasha it's likely a good deal, IMO. There's a show report (not sure CES, RMAF, ??) where they ran 2 Innamoratas vs 2 Lamm M2.2 monoblocks on TAD Ref Ones (which I wish I had), a snippet below:

"We rotated back and forth between the Innamorata and the Lamn M2.2 monoblocks. Both were outstanding but different. You can easily understand the price, popularity and respect for the Lamns. They seemed to have a sharper and more defined picture of the music. Imaging and sound stage were state of the art. Proper decay and reverberation provided a Technicolor look into the recording venue. There was also a sense of refinement that most amplifiers cannot deliver.

However, the Innamorato was something of a huge surprise. Plenty of inner speed and detail. Dynamic contrasts were delivered at levels very close to the best. Not as impressive as the Lamns on these measures, but again we have those subjective variables of warmth and musicality added in with the Innamorato. I reiterate, which is correct? Which is more appealing? Are we targeting neutrality or something else?

At $23,790 per pair retail, the Lamns do more than justify their price. At $6000 retail, the Innamorato might be considered a giant killer for those on a budget. From a price perspective this might seem like a mismatch, but for my ears, the Innamorato and Reference One combination should be at the top of your audition list if budget allows."

Link: http://www.audioshark.org/amplifier...lifier-show-report-tad-ref-ones-wow-1635.html

Others say these Wells Audio amps are "TUBE :p GEAR" Giant Killers too...:)

http://enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0513/wells_audio_innamorata_amplifier.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: paolo

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I know many audiophiles think it sinful to have an integrated, but we live in an age of ever decreasing space and greater needs. To that end people ought to be able to get all out flagship integrateds imho.

The Vitus is one such item, Dartzeel (i am not a fan), devialet, asr emitter. Another superb bang for the buck is the one by storm audio.

I myself use and swear by the lavardin it. It was used as a technology demonstrator. The only limiting factor is 55watts output -but very load tolerant. I have heard different, but not necessarily better, unless spending silly money ie. Constellation...

I'm haven't tried anything currently made but for years used a Scott integrated and a beautiful sounding 25 watt Class A integrated that Musical Fidelity used to make. If you pick your speakers correctly even 25 watts is plenty.

david

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I am not familiar with this amp but I have never regretted replacing my Naim NAP 500/552 DR with a Vitus SIA 025.

To prove my point that...you don't have to spend "BIG MONEY" to get "REFERENCE SOUND"!

Barry, I would love to find out how this $$$$$3500 Majestic amp would compare with your Vitus amp!:b

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes it would be interesting!
In my experience the more expensive kit usually wins in terms of both build and sound quality.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Joe,
Received your last post which for some reason hasn't appeared on this thread.
The speakers I use with my Vitus SIA 025 are YG Kipod Signature passives.
Great synergy despite the quoted relatively modest power output of the Vitus particularly in Class A.
The other design features nullify the modest power output as I recall most of the reviews testify.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I like the idea of moving to an integrated.

I have my eyes on 2:

> Analog Domain Isis - I heard this man-handle Wilson Alexias. Super clean, fast, dynamic, yet musical. This thing can produce 50A current.

> Gryphon Diablo 300 - latest Gryphon built like a beast, dark chocolately house sound right up my street.

Anyone heard either of these?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
FWIW I haven't heard either but Chris Thomas reviewed the previous Diablo and found it lacking in musical communication.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have yet to hear anyone bad mouth the ASR amps. Other than battery and cables almost everyone raves about the sound. I had the Ayre ax7e ages ago and thought it was a great value.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Yes it would be interesting!
In my experience the more expensive kit usually wins in terms of both build and sound quality.

Barry the build quality might be better but when you can compare the Wells Audio Majestic...a $$$"3500" solid-state integrated amp with REALLY GOOD TUBE amps and hang with it sound wise!.. you know your dealing with something Very Special here!:b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing