World's Rudest Nations for Travellers

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/the-world-s-rudest-nations-for-travelers.html

The World's Rudest Nations for Travelers
ForbesBy Andrew Bender | Forbes – Wed, Apr 4, 2012 12:38 AM EDT

Liberté, Égalité, Rudité. (Photo credit: Moyan Brenn / Flickr)Liberté, Égalité, Rudité. (Photo credit: Moyan Brenn / Flickr)Congratulations, my fellow Americans! We’re not the rudest nation on the planet. We’re not even in the top five. USA! USA!

The travel search site Skyscanner.com surveyed its users about where the locals never smile and people are particularly unfriendly, and the nation with the most votes for rudest locals was…

Wait for it…

France (félicitations, mes amis!), followed by Russia. The survey received over 1,200 responses, 65 percent from the UK and Ireland, plus elsewhere in Europe, North America and Australia.

The World's Rudest Nations for Travelers

1. France
2. Russian
3. British
4. German
5. Other

MORE FROM FORBES

» The World’s Friendliest Countries
» The Happiest and Saddest Countries in the World
» The Most Beautiful Places on the Planet

Rounding out the top five rudest countries were the U.K., Germany and “Other” (those Others are the worst, don’t you think?). The U.S. placed 7th, behind China.

Some of the perceived rudeness may be attributable to cultural differences rather than anything intentional. For example, says Tatiana Danilova, Skyscanner’s Russian Market Manager, “the Russian language is not as polite as English, so when Russians translate directly from Russian to English, it can sound rude to an English speaker even if they don’t mean it to.”

“We were surprised to see Russians come in second place,” says Skyscanner’s Travel Editor, Sam Baldwin. He attributes this in part to the “familiarity breeds contempt” phenomenon. Although Russia doesn’t compare with the Mediterranean as a tourist destination, as visa regulations have relaxed, Russian holidaymakers are increasingly flocking to the Mediterranean and coming into contact with people from other countries.

The same principle may apply to the French: “As our closest neighbors, there has long been a familiar rivalry between the U.K. and France,” Baldwin says, and the preponderance of responses from the British Isles may have contributed to this result. Still, Baldwin says, “Even the French acknowledge that the way they are perceived is not entirely without basis.” (In France’s defense, I’ve always found Parisians to be just as rude to each other as they are to foreigners. Outside of Paris – and even within the city – people can be as gracious as anywhere.)

The British, for their part, voted themselves “world’s worst tourists” in a previous Skyscanner survey.

The countries rated as having the least rude locals were Brazil, the Caribbean and the Philippines.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I went on a 10 country European tour by bus in 1994, I felt the same way with regards to France. Amazing it's still the same after almost 20 years. I felt that way being a tourist and my wife agrees with me. So I wonder why my sister has chosen to live there for the past 15 years. Maybe one has to LIVE there to get better treatment. :D And, glad to see our country, the Philippines as being one of the least rude. :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I can certainly understand the Caribbean ranking, been there a # of times. Back in the late 60's while in the USN, we ported at Curacao. I wanted to get a 35mm duty free, so off to a camera store. A clerk in perfect English is helping me out on the Asahi Pentax I'm perusing. Personally I found his English to be better than mine. So while I'm checking out its finer points, he goes off to aid another customer, this time in fluent French, later its fluent German. Eventually we close our deal and I ask him about his fluency. Since tourism is so important, from day one, multiple languages are mandatory early in their school system.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Surprised Spain and Italy aren't higher on that list. I found them to be generally more rude than the french, when dealing with tourist. Germany and UK, never had a problem there, on the contrary.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can certainly understand the Caribbean ranking, been there a # of times. Back in the late 60's while in the USN, we ported at Curacao. I wanted to get a 35mm duty free, so off to a camera store. A clerk in perfect English is helping me out on the Asahi Pentax I'm perusing. Personally I found his English to be better than mine. So while I'm checking out its finer points, he goes off to aid another customer, this time in fluent French, later its fluent German. Eventually we close our deal and I ask him about his fluency. Since tourism is so important, from day one, multiple languages are mandatory early in their school system.

It's part of the Dutch educational system demands. When I lived in The netherlands we HAD to take, Dutch (obviously), English, Germany and French as compulsary classes. Because of it, and also having lived in Quebec for 20 years, I can speak 3 languages and don't have to think about it. That doesn't mean to say I'm not a tiny bit rusty.

As for the French....my expereince has been different I think. Parisans can be very rude, but when you travel within the rest of the country, I've never encountered a problem. I quite frankly think that this whole "the French being rude" belief is quite inaccurate.

By the way...also lived in Curacao for 2 years.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Big, crowded cities are rude wherever you go, as a rule, they seem to take pride in the fact (New York?).

On the other hand, I am glad the French gave up cannibalism (or did they?).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey, I'm just asking the people in the know here, and I was hoping a reply from the OP. :b

You and I both know that CANADA is the place to be! But we're a quiet nation and don't tend to spout off...which by the way I think we should!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Germany is nice too (economically and countryside wise; plus the nature and forests).

Switchzerland is beautiful (the mountains, the banks and all that Jazz ...).

Greece is gorgeous (the people and the houses and the islands and the ocean and the sky).

Rome (Italy) is the world's capital, and it has many treasures of all kinds ...

Spain is the home of famous artists of all times.

Argentina has some very very good wines and horses.

New Zealand is splendid.

And on and on and on ...

* Peace, you can find everywhere.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey, I'm just asking the people in the know here, and I was hoping a reply from the OP. :b

Hi Bob,

The list at the bottom mentions Brazil, the Caribbean, and the Philippines as least rude or in my interpretation, friendly. I'm sure more countries should be in that list. And some of us might have experiences contrary to the list and some would agree with the list based on our own experiences. During my tour of some European countries, I found the Italians friendly too, from the sidewalk coffee/pizza vendor, to the restaurant owner, to the money changer. :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Bob,

The list at the bottom mentions Brazil, the Caribbean, and the Philippines as least rude or in my interpretation, friendly. I'm sure more countries should be in that list. And some of us might have experiences contrary to the list and some would agree with the list based on our own experiences. During my tour of some European countries, I found the Italians friendly too, from the sidewalk coffee/pizza vendor, to the restaurant owner, to the money changer. :D

Brazil, I know for a fact has great friendly people. And same for the Caribbean Islands.

Philippines, that, I didn't know; thanks for sharing it Phil! :b ...And Jack is also very friendly.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Brazil, I know for a fact has great friendly people. And same for the Caribbean Islands.

Philippines, that, I didn't know; thanks for sharing it Phil! :b ...And Jack is also very friendly.

My pleasure, Bob. :) And Jack, he is indeed very friendly, and he always has this big smile on his face whenever I get to see him. I think in the pre-smiley days, we would use <G> for 'grin', to describe him. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bob, I'm feeling a little neglected down here ... :(, :D, ;)

Frank

Just put another Shrimp on the Bar-B Frank! ;)

I've never been down under, but I hear that the people are wonderfully relaxed.....I like that!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I'm feeling a little neglected down here ... :(, :D, ;)

Frank

I knew it! ...Well, don't despair 'Crocodile Dundee'! :D

...Because some of my best friends are the Australian musicians. :b

* By the way, yesterday while in town I met some nice ladies;
and I told them to visit WBF. :b ...How friendly is that?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Yep, most people around the world enjoy engaging with, and helping out visitors from overseas. We down under haven't been worn out by having strangers tramping around for many, many decades as, say, the French have; you can understand why some people at times "close down" at seeing new people, probably a bit of overload and fatigue comes into it ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing