kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
This is great! Thank you so much for sharing

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks for sharing.

I'm working with Gig Harbor Audio to upgrade our home theater. Really good guys.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Thank you for drawing our attention to this vid

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
When discussing loss of high frequency hearing as we age with Dick Sequerra he made the point that it is foolish to assume that the ears are the only input ports to the brain for high audio information. He then insisted that the ocular cavities are a key access point for HF to the brain. The above video seems to suggest that it is plausible that as our aural response declines, other input methods can take over. If nothing else it casts serious doubt on the though that : 'I can't hear over 10kHz so HF extension doesn't matter'. I'll even suggest that audiophiles wear eye protection when using their US record cleaners.

more thoughts on this and a link to an article.

dave

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I just came across this only now.

Outstanding!!!
This should be the thread / post of the century, without a doubt!

The ability to hear sound and "enjoy the music" and not the system, is the key message here. Not only is this chap fully immersed and engaged with it but also emotionally engaged as well.

Sadly, the majority of people I've come across and places I've visited, have absolutely no clue about this key message. They have very elaborate systems and dedicated rooms but they rather listen to their systems and not the music. They go for upgrades just for the sake of upgrades because they believe the latest is the greatest! Whatever...

This chap is using Art Dudley's Altec Lansing speakers. Similarly to vintage era yet simple, and this is what I've been trying to tell many out there, just keep the dam thing simple! It offers purer tonality and absolute music. Sadly, there are only a handful who get it right. And when it sounds right, you can tell straight away regardless of price, system gear, and whatever else they claim to be magical voodoo, cables etc.

Music, if you're fully engaged with it, also has healing powers. There are several stories that are heart & soul warming. Two come to my mind:
1. Many years ago, Melody Gardot was in a terrible accident, where a truck hit her whiles she was riding her bike. She was left with brain damage, docs said pretty much no hope...
Now she's released several albums since and her latest one, Currency of Man is probably her best ever! She proudly claims that singing somehow kept her alive. If you listen closely to this album and manage to engage with it, you will definitely hear and feel her emotions.

2. Larry Carlton was caught in between a gun shootout in the cross fire. Again docs said no hope... now LC plays his stringed tunes like no other! I've got every album of his both on CD and LP, and I can clearly feel the emotions once your fully engaged with it. It's absolutely amazing!

Just like this chap does with his ballon of Mylar and helium, he can engage in those emotions, that maties is the ultimate, not the gear!

What a legend this chap is, thanks so much for sharing this video, much appreciated mate.
Cheers to music, and oh! Do enjoy those fine tunes!
A massive woofty woof!!!
RJ

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Beautiful. If you want to hear music you will hear music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing