XACT S1. The music server you've been waiting for

springson

Jan 5, 2022
Yes, absolutely. Please send me a PM or email via jcat website.

Correct. It can not be both server'/ player & the switch at the same time. It'd compromise sound quality. Both functionalities use different operating systems.

Granted, using XACT S1 as a switch makes it arguably world's most expensive switch, but it delivers.

That said, the entire R&D and fine-tuning by ear was done without a switch. I wanted the S1 to perform good on its own, without extra tweaks. I wrote about it before.

Best regards,
Marcin
Hi Marcin

Could you create a new product based on the S1?which only for switch and router? it will be the more competitive than s1 only as switch and router for 12000 .

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Marcin

Could you create a new product based on the S1?which only for switch and router? it will be the more competitive than s1 only as switch and router for 12000 .

It is on the product roadmap for XACT brand.

BTW, I'm pleased to inform that JPLAY iOS, the remote app for XACT S1 was recently reviewed by Chris Connaker:

Also JPLAY Certified partner program started, which is an initiative that allows other hi-fi manufacturers to enhance their products' compatibility with the JPLAY iOS app. I'm thrilled to announce that Weiss Engineering becomes the 1st Hi-Fi manufacturer with the JPLAY Certified status.
What does this mean? It means that DAC501, DAC502 and HELIOS products from Weiss Engineering now seamlessly integrate with the JPLAY iOS app.

Best regards,
Marcin

timd1

Sep 6, 2023
West Sussex, UK
Intro

New to WTB forum.

Long-time follower of JPlay and the PC DIY server builds.

My DIY server was a single pc setup. HD Plex psu with 12v direct to CPU. 19v to HD Plex 250w Hi fi ATX dc to dc. This connected to ATX only of MB only.

5v outputs to two JCat Optimo Nano’s. These powered SSD’s for OS & music drives, and supply to JCat USB XE.

JCat USB XE card for output to DAC. SATA cables JCat, original. ATX & power cables, Ghent Audio.

JPlay, AO, & Fidelizer running on W server 2012 R2.

The JPlay route to improving pc’s audio to achieve better music reproduction has given me years of slow steady progress towards a far better musical experience than I ever experienced before.

Many ups & downs along the way with huge frustrations but, outweighing all of that, the rewards were fantastic. Not being that IT savvy, I have relied on the forum heavily for technical guidance on this journey & the many topics with their contributors without which, I would never have succeeded.

Current system

Lampizator Big 7 Dac. Balanced with volume control. ATC SCM 50 Active speakers.

Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star Clocker, JCat XACT S1.

Puritan PSM 156 power conditioner, supplied by a 5kVA balanced CTE isolation transformer on dedicated hi fi circuit.

I’d been considering a purpose built server for the last few years, but from those I had heard & their cost, I had not really thought it a viable route. I had never been particularly impressed by the sound quality of any I had experienced, particularly against what they cost. Having said that, most severs I had experienced had been via shows etc. so not the most ideal environments.

Always happy with my DIY build & in terms of cost & hands down a musical winner. However, from time to time it did let me down, which required intervention on my part to resolve whatever the issue may be. Having had my server for 10 plus years, it came time to decide whether to build a new server or go for dedicated purpose built unit, the latter being decided upon.

So the journey began. Ruling out the big manufacturers based on what I’d been hearing against cost, I looked at the boutique side of severs; based on either tweaked Windows OS, or bespoke OS.

I did demo a unit at home; a Windows based server with various options in terms of PSU, cabling, SSD’s & various other options including software tweaks for adjusting sound to taste.

I had the demo unit for several weeks & it sounded pretty good. After some communication with the manufacturer, a few tweaks & and software changes, things improved further but with a cost between 7 to 10k depending on options, it was a lot to invest.

My existing server bettered the demo unit in some key areas & overall, my server won out.

Enter the S1. As a Jplay follower for years, I noted the release of the S1 & read various comments by those that had heard the S1. Could this be an option?

After many emails & questions to Marcin I decided to try the S1. Marcin must have got fed up with so many emails & questions but he dealt with all promptly, answering my specific queries in each case.

The S1 duly arrived. Hook up was a breeze. USB, LAN, SD card & power. I had a network issue to start with but all was resolved & again, Marcin was on hand via email, (he was actually on holiday with his family but still took time to answer any queries, so many thanks for that).

To be clear, I only used the S1 with music stored internally on the SSD. I have yet to get into streaming in any significant way.

Straight out of the box, the S1 sounded good. It bettered anything I’d previously heard at home. The initial standout for me was space, & air with the strands of the music occupying a more convincing sound stage, all sounding bigger but with more air & space around the music.

Decay of notes be they synthesised, acoustic, amplified or whatever, is excellent. With live recordings, the sense of the venue is more apparent. A friend of mine uses the term “plankton” to describe the small details in the sound stage, light & shade, micro details & atmosphere. It’s an appropriate description. All the small details you are aware of in recording are just more “there” with the S1.

I listen to a lot of electronic music & the layering, panning, & detail is excellent. You can just hear further into the mix. This is not forced details, not edgy at all. In fact, compared to my server, the S1 is more natural & relaxed in its presentation yet with detail/plankton in abundance.

Bass is also richly textured allowing more information low down to be heard. Listening to double bass live on a good recording was a revelation. The attack, sustain & decay along with the sound of the strings, the finger board & body of the instrument are all well-defined & make the instrument come alive in your listening space.

The S1 is pretty music agnostic. Even with poor recordings, in most cases the ability hear further in to the recording makes poor material more palatable than before.

Changing USB cables between S1 & DAC was interesting. The S1 clearly shows these differences.

The Master Time Clocker has always brought significant improvements to whatever server setup I’ve used during the upgrade process over the years. Now with the S1 in however, I’m not as convinced. I’m not ready to sell on the Master Time Clocker yet. The Master Time adds a bit more weight to the presentation, but at the expense of stage width, slightly compressing the presentation.

I’m pleased I took the plunge with S1, albeit a major decision financially, I have absolutely no regrets. I know Marcin is still working on user & OS upgrades, so I’m looking forward to that.

Ease of use, exceptional sound quality. What more could you ask for.

Attachments

• Xact & system hi fi.jpg
    Xact & system hi fi.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Marcin_gps

t.arni

May 10, 2023
Today was the best day in my whole “audio life”

NEW SDCARD for XACT S1: The first song was horrible. Yes there were more details, better resolution wider and deeper soundstage and holographic separation from instruments but ist was “digital and harsh. I was shocked. This is not the jcat or jplay sound that I know. But maybe the card needed a few hours to beform. I went back to the former card and the analog feeling was back. Cant believe it and switched to the new card and let it play for just an hour – After this time the sound settled and it was mindblowing the digital signature was gone and the positive effects as described above was still here.

But then came the new XACT as switch.

Man! Out of the box the combo from new sdcard for the server and the switch played like… yes like what. It is like you compare a midrange CD Player with an SME Turntable in a perfect setup. It is not better it is from an other world…

I can’t describe it in words what I heard today. I n c r e d I b l e ! ! ! ! ! IN my opinion It beats the most Vinyl Setups to 50.000 EUR.

The combo with 2 XACTs: UN B E L I E V A B L E : 3 dimensional, airy, resolution (in the positive) DYNAMIK, naturalness, shining cymbals with energy but golden and not “digital” , separation WOW !!!! I only heard this kind of sound from a brinkmann bardo with RÖNT (extra Tube Powersupply) plus an 5k EUR EMT cartridge and the outstanding EMT tube phonostage ( and crystal cable Reference Phono cables) on an 4k Kuzma Isolation Plattform !!! And I think your gear is still better ….

Thomas

Attachments

• XACT-switch and server-1.jpg
    XACT-switch and server-1.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 42
  • XACT-switch and server-2.jpg
    XACT-switch and server-2.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 36

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Thank you, Thomas :)
It means a lot.

Meanwhile, I have not said the last word and continue working on software improvements...

Best regards,
Marcin

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
Hi Matt,

1) We used the same OCXO as in the USB / NET XE. And the same connectors. I compared various PHYs during development and chose the best sounding. I no longer use a PC-based music server, because I think the XACT S1 is on a higher level. With USB XE and NET XE cards the end result depends on many factors like motherboard, power supply and software configuration of the PC. With XACT S1 I guarantee the same level of sound quality, because all components are the same, even the SD card.

2) Yes, there are LDOs on the motherboard and the linear PSU is based on our OPTIMO series, so customers who heard the OPTIMO can expect at least the same level of sonic performance.

The unit presented at the AVS in Warsaw is a production unit. The picture taken by Hifipig team below:

View attachment 99894

Best regards,
Marcin

Hi Marcin, I see from the pic and understand by your response that the XACT does not use your own OCXO master clock upgrade , and I also noted the XACT is sold as pre-configured system, so no chance for those who want to upgrade (internally or externally) to another clock. I am assuming you tested the product with the clock upgrade and found the best result without it, does that make sense?

Thanks!

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Marcin, I see from the pic and understand by your response that the XACT does not use your own OCXO master clock upgrade , and I also noted the XACT is sold as pre-configured system, so no chance for those who want to upgrade (internally or externally) to another clock. I am assuming you tested the product with the clock upgrade and found the best result without it, does that make sense?

Thanks!
Hello,

Good question.

It does not use the Master OCXO, because it did not exist at the time. The Master OCXO Clock is the latest creation and has just been released 2 weeks ago.

However, I'm pleased to inform you that it will become available to the S1 owners as part of the S1 EVO upgrade planned for next year. The S1 EVO will be shown in Munich at the High End 2024.

BTW - I'm thrilled to invite you to experience the XACT S1 at this year's Audio Video Show.

The S1 will be part of this system:

Best regards,
Marcin

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
I see, makes sense, I didnt realize the clock up was so new, was just checking the site today though I knew of the XE cards. Too bad I wont be in Munich 24, was this year. Will watch this thread to hear more impressions on the S1 and differences with the S1 Evo

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I have had the XACT S1 server in my system now for several weeks. Monday I received the new SD card update. It already sounded fantastic. Now it even sounds more fantastic. All the descriptions above are true. I hear things I have not heard before. Imaging is amazing, blackness, quietness perhaps at the forefront. Separation of instruments. I am using with Marcin's M12 Gold switch. I can't imagine what the double S1 Switch / Server combo must sound like! I miss Roon. I do. But this sounds better.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The S1 EVO will be shown in Munich at the High End 2024
Will there be listening to the S1 in a speaker set-up, maybe in one of the atrium rooms?
Thx

Matt

Last edited:

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
HiFi Knights reviews and awards our XACT S1 Music Server!

XACT01.jpg

vic-1-820x243.png

Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to share that the XACT S1 music server, one of my proud creations, was recently reviewed by HiFi Knights. We appreciate the depth of their analysis, and I'd like to share some highlights for those interested:
  • The reviewer described the XACT S1 as having a sound "as analog and natural as it gets," high praise especially from someone deeply rooted in the world of vinyl records.
  • He observed remarkable and consistent performance when the server was paired with three top-tier D/A Converters from LampizatOr, Playback Designs, and Weiss.
  • An interesting observation was the near-indistinguishable quality between music streamed from platforms like Qobuz & Tidal and music played directly from built-in drive.
  • The included JPLAY app offers an experience similar to Roon, ensuring ease and pleasure of use.
The full review can be found here: http://hifiknights.c...ources/xact-s1/

Best regards,
Marcin

Reactions: Young Skywalker

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Congratulations Marcin ont his outstanding review! You and your XACT S1 deserve it!

• Love

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Experience the XACT S1 Music Server at the Audio Video Show 2023!

Hello fellow audio enthusiasts,

I'm excited to share that we will be presenting our highly-regarded XACT S1 music server at this year's Audio Video Show in Warsaw. For those who've been keen to explore its capabilities, this is a fantastic opportunity.

We will be prominently showcasing our XACT S1 music server in dual configuration; first S1 acting as a music server/player and 2nd unit as an audiophile network switch.

AVS2023.png

Whether you're already familiar with the XACT S1 or are just diving into the world of top-tier audio, it's a great chance to get up close and personal with our server. I will be on hand to discuss its features, answer any questions, and provide demos.

If anyone's planning to attend, I'd love to hear from you! It's always great to meet fellow forum members in person and discuss our shared passion for outstanding audio quality.

Hope to see some of you there!

Marcin

Filipposm

Sep 25, 2023
Greece
Today was the best day in my whole “audio life”

NEW SDCARD for XACT S1: The first song was horrible. Yes there were more details, better resolution wider and deeper soundstage and holographic separation from instruments but ist was “digital and harsh. I was shocked. This is not the jcat or jplay sound that I know. But maybe the card needed a few hours to beform. I went back to the former card and the analog feeling was back. Cant believe it and switched to the new card and let it play for just an hour – After this time the sound settled and it was mindblowing the digital signature was gone and the positive effects as described above was still here.

But then came the new XACT as switch.

Man! Out of the box the combo from new sdcard for the server and the switch played like… yes like what. It is like you compare a midrange CD Player with an SME Turntable in a perfect setup. It is not better it is from an other world…

I can’t describe it in words what I heard today. I n c r e d I b l e ! ! ! ! ! IN my opinion It beats the most Vinyl Setups to 50.000 EUR.

The combo with 2 XACTs: UN B E L I E V A B L E : 3 dimensional, airy, resolution (in the positive) DYNAMIK, naturalness, shining cymbals with energy but golden and not “digital” , separation WOW !!!! I only heard this kind of sound from a brinkmann bardo with RÖNT (extra Tube Powersupply) plus an 5k EUR EMT cartridge and the outstanding EMT tube phonostage ( and crystal cable Reference Phono cables) on an 4k Kuzma Isolation Plattform !!! And I think your gear is still better ….

Thomas
Hello Thomas,

Congrats for your setup!

This 3d dimensional airy resolution you describe was my first impression of when I listened to the Brinkmann Nyquist MKII - I see you also own - so It really makes me wonder what did the Xact S1 brought to your sound (what sonic characteristics improved etc) compared to streaming directly to the Nyquist with mc connect app or Roon.

You really got my curiosity :)

Best regards,
Filippos

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
This 3d dimensional airy resolution you describe was my first impression of when I listened to the Brinkmann Nyquist MKII - I see you also own - so It really makes me wonder what did the Xact S1 brought to your sound (what sonic characteristics improved etc) compared to streaming directly to the Nyquist with mc connect app or Roon.
With the S1 and a 6k DAC you are in the same price range as the Nyquist MKII.......curious about SQ in comparison :cool:

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing