XACT S1. The music server you've been waiting for

Still intrigued by the interchangeability between S1 and S1 EVO units as switch or server, I continue to explore the potential implications for the near future. Hopefully this could be especially relevant if the goal is to reduce the number of boxes and cables, while maintaining the same level of noise control without sacrificing sound quality. It benefits consumers, but it appears that manufacturers, who aim to sell more devices and cables, might not see the same advantage?

Essentially, it would mean integrating the network and streaming sections into a single unit positioned between the modem and DAC. But…

From AS:

If server/player & switch running simultaneously is not possible. It seems my best option to improve sound, and assuming there will be an R1, it seems this is how I need to assemble my streaming section before the DAC:

Modem ➔
XACT R1 Router ➔ XACT PHANTOM LAN Cable ➔
XACT N1 Switch ➔ XACT PHANTOM LAN Cable ➔
XACT S1 Streamer ➔ XACT PHANTOM USB Cable ➔
DAC

On 9/12/2024 at 10:19 AM, Marcin_gps said:

@Marcin_gps, you have to stop!

I’m blown away by this, and it’s hard for me to comprehend. First, I had to get my head around the idea of two interchangeable S1 units acting as a switch and a streamer. Now, the thought of a trio of S1 units functioning as a router, switch, and streamer is just unbelievable!
You mentioned it's not possible right now, but I can only imagine how impressive it will be when all three are combined into one unit, still reducing noise (Edit: at the same level ) and eliminating extra cables. I believe we'll reach that point in the coming years without crippling performance and I’m excited to see how you'll contribute to this journey.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu