Your DAC replacement thoughts please

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I'm working with AMR/IFI in the hopes that they can help me get my AMR DP 777SE working again.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I don’t know if you would ever find an APL dac used. Very rare.

I own the streamer and DSD MR MK2 dac and couldn’t be more satisfied.
The most natural sound I have ever had.

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I don’t know if you would ever find an APL dac used. Very rare.

I own the streamer and DSD MR MK2 dac and couldn’t be more satisfied.
The most natural sound I have ever had.
Actually, I did find an updated MK2. I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks.

Reactions: joaovieira

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Actually, I did find an updated MK2. I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks.
Uau! This is great!
what are you using to feed it with music?

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Uau! This is great!
what are you using to feed it with music?
I'm using FLAC files from my PC> JCAT USB Isolator>MXR MK2>Pass Labs XP-20>Pass Labs XA100.5's>Consensus Audio Conspiracy spkrs. Jena Pathfinder loom. Enjoying mostly jazz & classically music here in Olympia,WA.. What's you're system?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I'm using FLAC files from my PC> JCAT USB Isolator>MXR MK2>Pass Labs XP-20>Pass Labs XA100.5's>Consensus Audio Conspiracy spkrs. Jena Pathfinder loom. Enjoying mostly jazz & classically music here in Olympia,WA.. What's you're system?
It is detailed on my signature. Audiopax amplification with APL streamer and dac. Speakers are Tidal Contriva G2.
Alex Peichev from APL recommended and I followed to use a Synology NAS with special LPS and Roon Server. I have about 6 TB of music. Many DSD files.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Tidal Contriva. They are beautiful. Pure elegance. I remember that beast and the TIDAL Contriva Diacera enthusiast who told me that they had one of the biggest diamond tweeters in the world. Do I remember correctly?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Tidal Contriva. They are beautiful. Pure elegance. I remember that beast and the TIDAL Contriva Diacera enthusiast who told me that they had one of the biggest diamond tweeters in the world. Do I remember correctly?
Yes, they have diamond tweeters. I enjoy very much my speakers.
Thanks

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
No idea. Tidal’s website have more information. Don’t know about Bugatti.
The Akyra and La Assoluta speakers have diamond midranges too.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I would check out the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, it compares favorably to the Chord Dave and DS , even bettering it, according to several reviews.. I think it fabulous if you can overlook the price tag...

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Thanks for your thoughts.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
My path was Playback Designs MPD3—>Lampizator Big 7—>Aqua Formula—> APL DSD MR MK2.
this was in 10 years.
now will stay for many years ahead.

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I'm using the Lampizator Pacific DAC and had a Lampi Golden Gate DAC before that (and traded it in for the Pacific). The Lampizator DACs generate a three dimensional organic soundstage with the instruments each occupying their distinct space. Timbre is fantastically realistic. Each instrument is generated with its unique timbre. You can roll tubes to fine tune the sonic signature to your taste. I'm using a quad of KR-242 output tubes which I find to be very linear, dynamic, with marvelous transients. I could go on, but you can see how satisfied I am with the Lampizator.

P.S. I'm also using a pair of the Lampizator True Balanced Monoblock 211 amps driving the mid/treble section of my speakers. Same sense of organic realism as in the DAC.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing