Your DAC replacement thoughts please

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I'm using the Lampizator Pacific DAC and had a Lampi Golden Gate DAC before that (and traded it in for the Pacific). The Lampizator DACs generate a three dimensional organic soundstage with the instruments each occupying their distinct space. Timbre is fantastically realistic. Each instrument is generated with its unique timbre. You can roll tubes to fine tune the sonic signature to your taste. I'm using a quad of KR-242 output tubes which I find to be very linear, dynamic, with marvelous transients. I could go on, but you can see how satisfied I am with the Lampizator.

P.S. I'm also using a pair of the Lampizator True Balanced Monoblock 211 amps driving the mid/treble section of my speakers. Same sense of organic realism as in the DAC.

Thanks

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I'm using the Lampizator Pacific DAC and had a Lampi Golden Gate DAC before that (and traded it in for the Pacific). The Lampizator DACs generate a three dimensional organic soundstage with the instruments each occupying their distinct space. Timbre is fantastically realistic. Each instrument is generated with its unique timbre. You can roll tubes to fine tune the sonic signature to your taste. I'm using a quad of KR-242 output tubes which I find to be very linear, dynamic, with marvelous transients. I could go on, but you can see how satisfied I am with the Lampizator.

P.S. I'm also using a pair of the Lampizator True Balanced Monoblock 211 amps driving the mid/treble section of my speakers. Same sense of organic realism as in the DAC.
What would you say the biggest difference was between the GG and Pacific?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The Pacific is quite a lot more transparent without losing out on musicality and palpability.
For me the Pacific is a big step up over the already excellent GG

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
When the Pacific was introduced, I decided to upgrade my GG to either the GG2 or Pacific. My instinct was to stay with the ladder DAC architecture of the GG, moving to the GG2. Conversations with some folks who had experienced both, had a common thread. This was that the GG sounded more lush, but that the Pacific was more neutral and that, in the end, was more natural and closer to the "musical truth".

Now that I've had the Pacific for a couple of years, I'm glad I took that path. I've really come to appreciate the neutrality, resolution, soundstage, and particularly the resolution of fine nuances in timbre of musical instruments and voices. Neutrality is an important quality in any component. Deviations may take some time to be noticed. However, once the ear/brain notices a consitently present anomaly, it becomes increasingly annoying. You do have to be careful to confirm the source of the issue. In my case, as the Pacific settled in, I found that it revealed issues that were eventually identified as originating elsewhere in the component chain.

The bottom line is that I'm still completely happy with my decision to bring the Pacific DAC into my system.

Last edited:

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Hi. I've owned 4 DACS. Started with DCS Debussy, a bit flat, lacking dynamics. The Luxman DA-06 sounded better, more involving. Sold the Debussy. Temporarily put a Schitt Yiggy in to system...MUCH worse that either DCS or Luxman, so back to the Luxman. Then I bought a PS Audio direct stream DAC. It was a little more refined than the Luxman, better micro dynamics but no glare or edge. What made the biggest difference was when I added a proper server. I went with the top Sonore Rendu renderer and a hot-rodded version of the SGC i7 server. The presence of the music became truly great. More lifelike, bigger and better bass. Better, larger sound stage. "You are there" sound.
Friends have recommended the Briscasti M1, but they don't own one. The Chord Dave is very well reviewed, but on the other hand a lot of them are for sale used, so many are moving on from them.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
...prior to having the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical and the Small Green Computer i7 10 TB SSD Server, I was using a dedicated MacBook Pro laptop. No comparison between the two!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Neutrality is an important quality in any component. Deviations may take some time to be noticed. However, once the ear/brain notices a consistently present anomaly, it becomes increasingly annoying.
The funny thing is that sometimes we get so used to the deviations to an extent, that when we hear a clear sound without any interference, it may sound odd to us. Irony of life.

Vann9594

Dec 9, 2018
St Louis Mo
SW1X Audio Dac III replace an Audio Note 4.1 in my system. I replaced my Direct Stream immediately when I compared it to a AN Dac 3.1 signature a few years ago and have stayed with the tube based NOS Dac setup since. I had both the Ideon Dac and reclocker mentioned previously in for an audition and no comparison to the SW1X Dac.

Attachments

• 5E1E039B-FFDB-42AF-8D37-81B6353C0076.jpeg
    5E1E039B-FFDB-42AF-8D37-81B6353C0076.jpeg
    909.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 22F071B8-D85E-442D-A1D3-9AC7A78A2AFE.jpeg
    22F071B8-D85E-442D-A1D3-9AC7A78A2AFE.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The funny thing is that sometimes we get so used to the deviations to an extent, that when we hear a clear sound without any interference, it may sound odd to us. Irony of life.
I run into this phenomenon all the time w/people, particularly w/old tube equipment. But they think it's my ears :)

Last edited:

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
I have a few requirements myself on dacs:
* it must sound very very good
* it must support mqa
* it must support Ethernet and/or i2s
* it must be FPGA based
* must be a Roon endpoint capable
I only use Ethernet or i2s and will never use usb again. My dac sounds better every 6 months or so and it’s damn good now, for free. Last major firmware update included mqa support, for free. Many reviewers use it as their reference or a dac to compare others too. When I bought my dac, there was only 2 that met all my requirements. I bought the PS Audio DS sr dac. The other dac was almost 10x more.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
* it must support mqa
* it must be FPGA based
I only use Ethernet or i2s and will never use usb again. My dac sounds better every 6 months or so and it’s damn good now, for free. Last major firmware update included mqa support, for free. Many reviewers use it as their reference or a dac to compare others too. When I bought my dac, there was only 2 that met all my requirements. I bought the PS Audio DS sr dac. The other dac was almost 10x more.
I don’t think the DS sr supports MQA. At least, mine doesn’t. I’m running Windom firmware on mine which I believe is the most recent.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
It only supports MQA via the bridge II. Ethernet connection required.
Yes, I looked it up and discovered that. I use an opticalRendu so wasn’t aware the Bridge could do it.

Attachments

• 51C0A76B-CA76-4841-9437-CA8777A665D6.jpeg
    51C0A76B-CA76-4841-9437-CA8777A665D6.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 4

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It was the Amber 3 that piqued my interest in dacs.

Reactions: christoph

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
* it must support mqa
* it must be FPGA based
Are the resolution, clock, powerbase, upsampling, jitter reduction, inputs, outputs less of a priority for you?

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
Not at all. If you look into this dac, it handles everything you need. I don’t have to worry about jitter, upsampling, a clock, powerbase, and connections. This dac provides more features than most dacs. Check these facts:
* Class A+ Stereophile rated DirectStream DAC converts any digital input format, such as PCM or DSD to a pure DSD stream
  • Pure 100% DSD based D to A Converter
  • Fully upgradable through software releases
  • Resolution perfect volume and balance controls built in
  • Upsamples PCM and DSD to 20x DSD rate
  • DXD support
  • Purely passive transformer coupled output
  • Simple, direct signal path with one master clock
  • Hand written filters, processors and upsamplers
  • Immune to incoming jitter problems from different sources
  • 7 digital inputs
  • MQA and Tidal ready with optional Bridge II
  • Fully balanced from input to output
  • Color touch screen
Name any other dac that has these features that is < $15k and sounds this good, I would be interested in listening to it.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It was the Amber 3 that piqued my interest in dacs.
Awesome sounding piece of kit :cool:
A friend of mine has it in his second system and it sounds better than it should for the price.
He has a Pacific in his main system and therefore has high standards ;)

Reactions: Gregadd

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Not at all. If you look into this dac, it handles everything you need. I don’t have to worry about jitter, upsampling, a clock, powerbase, and connections. This dac provides more features than most dacs. Check these facts:
* Class A+ Stereophile rated DirectStream DAC converts any digital input format, such as PCM or DSD to a pure DSD stream
  • Pure 100% DSD based D to A Converter
  • Fully upgradable through software releases
  • Resolution perfect volume and balance controls built in
  • Upsamples PCM and DSD to 20x DSD rate
  • DXD support
  • Purely passive transformer coupled output
  • Simple, direct signal path with one master clock
  • Hand written filters, processors and upsamplers
  • Immune to incoming jitter problems from different sources
  • 7 digital inputs
  • MQA and Tidal ready with optional Bridge II
  • Fully balanced from input to output
  • Color touch screen
Name any other dac that has these features that is < $15k and sounds this good, I would be interested in listening to it.
It sounded like the essence of your previous message was a general idea for what you are looking for in DACs, hence my question.

I enjoy the SQ of most of the PS audio products and after reading Paul's autobiography I like the company even more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing