Zero Distortion: Sigma MAAT speakers, Kondo, Koda, NAT Magma and Lamm hybrid amps, Kondo GInga vs Da Vinci tables

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Sigma MAAT/Vector XAC is probably the most flexible speaker I have heard, and when mated with a full Kondo set up, is one of the best systems I have listened to, and certainly in top 3 of commercial gear, i.e. something that can be replicated, is not a one-off, and where the system quality can be portable to other rooms with reasonable size.

videos and measurements in the article

I heard the speakers with:

1. All Kondo gear including the 211 Gakuons,
  2. Another with Vyger – Allnic top of the line DHT phono – Dagostino preamp and Koda K70,
  3. Techdas AF2 and NAT Magma new, Riviera preamp, Thales Statement and Schroder CB arms
  4. Vyger – Conrad johnson phono – Lamm preamp – Lamm M1.2 hybrids

Sigma MAAT.jpg

Bjarne speakers.jpg

Vyger Sigma MAAT.jpg Toni.jpg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
DaVinci.jpg

Bjarne rack.jpg Techdas AF2.jpg Kondo Ginga Da Vinci.jpg

Vyger Lamm 1.jpg

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Good to read that you liked a set up with full Kondo equipment very much, Ked, because I know that so far you have not been impressed by the Kondo brand. And if I see it correctly, in one of the set up’s a Tripoint ‘grounding’ box was used:). Never heard the Sigma Maat speakers myself,but they do look very inter interesting indeed.

Reactions: 108CY and bonzo75

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Ked,
you missed this in Italy,
hw has Vyger Atlantis,Ongaku,Pre Accuphse,mono amp Accuphase A 200

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Verdier and bonzo75

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
For tube i love Kondo and ANJ
There are other tube that cost less and could be sound better but no one has the feeling and charme for me like Kondo.
If will buy tube,100% only Kondo

Reactions: bonzo75

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Great report!! Well done bonzo!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love this report! It was great to hear (ah, read) you get excited for a change about a cone speaker!

If I heard the Sigma Matt I think I would like it even more than the XVX. I would like keeping the scale and weight and transparency of the XVX, but reduce the number of crossovers, simplify the crossovers, and with the higher sensitivity and easier load pick up the ability to use SET amplifiers!

Reactions: hogen and bonzo75

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love this report! It was great to hear (ah, read) you get excited for a change about a cone speaker!

If I heard the Sigma Matt I think I would like it even more than the XVX. I would like keeping the scale and weight and transparency of the XVX, but reduce the number of crossovers, simplify the crossovers, and with the higher sensitivity and easier load pick up the ability to use SET amplifiers!
Interesting, someone explained to me that Darryl has designed the tweeter and midrange drivers to operate on the basis each driver was designed to roll off more naturally alongside where another of the drivers picks up...resulting in a much simpler crossover design than the earlier Wilson designs?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In the article after the written part there are videos. Also some measurements shared by the designer Aldo

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
I think the magic of MAAT is routed on simple, first order crossover and high sensitivity. When my interest in MAAT started to grow I went to Aldo’s place south of Venice, Italy. I was quite sceptical about claimed sensitivity but he proved it by using PP 300B monoblocks with probably around 20w. Since I can not live without tubes (esp. triodes) that was for me very important factor. Combining triodes with MAAT gives you real life energy, speed and natural flow, much like good horns. Additionaly, with these speakers you get universality in playing different types of music. I listen to old jazz, new jazz, electronica, world music, classical, amplified, non amplified. So, only limitation is my mood, not the type of music

Of all tube amps I have tried (and tried many), I am a big fan of NAT. They really have the guts and musicality! Had Transmiter first then upgraded to NAT Magma New. Also their SUT is terrific for me, but still have to limited experience with SUTs to give final verdict.

I must say that Ked’s visit was really positive for me. I had serious health issues and really bad luck with my analog chain in parallel in last year and half. That is why I was not really able to devote enough time to optimize this part of my system. But what we have achieved when we put Kansui on Thales Statement was mindblowing! Since then I finally enjoy analog more than digital… Still don’t understand why this has happened: due to arm or SUT synergy. SUT is 1:20 so it should be good for MSL.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
You take no prisoners Ked do you? :p
Great write up and keep it coming...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Sigma MAAT/Vector XAC is probably the most flexible speaker I have heard, and when mated with a full Kondo set up, is one of the best systems I have listened to, and certainly in top 3 of commercial gear, i.e. something that can be replicated, is not a one-off, and where the system quality can be portable to other rooms with reasonable size.

videos and measurements in the article

I heard the speakers with:

1. All Kondo gear including the 211 Gakuons,
  2. Another with Vyger – Allnic top of the line DHT phono – Dagostino preamp and Koda K70,
  3. Techdas AF2 and NAT Magma new, Riviera preamp, Thales Statement and Schroder CB arms
  4. Vyger – Conrad johnson phono – Lamm preamp – Lamm M1.2 hybrids

View attachment 98491

View attachment 98492

View attachment 98493 View attachment 98494
The first system with paper driver mids and Kondo sounds WAAAYYY more realistic than the other system. Very impressive I would say from the videos.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing