Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

If somebody gave you a blank check and you designed a custom listening room you think you would be disappointed with it?

No , but i know enough to not give any advice on rooms designs been there with many experts over the years , the work begins after the build and system is in place ...

Whats good for one point source goose is different for one planar gander ..

;)

It wouldn’t make a difference if you did because Fields of Gold cannot be used to evaluate a system, no matter if it is your favourite piece of music or not.

Eating white bread won’t tell me if the restaurant is good. I need to order something off the menu for that

Agree you shouldn't have a single reference , but your reference(s) can be anything its your reference.

Regards

If somebody gave you a blank check and you designed a custom listening room you think you would be disappointed with it?

I would take that blank check and sell my house and find another larger old house that has an existing room that would be better than mine for my audio system. I would look for an old and large rectangular room, something like 23 feet wide 40 feet long and 17 feet high, with a high coffered ceiling and ideally wooden paneled walls and a wooden floor to which I would add a nice oriental carpet. Only curtains and furniture for treatment.

if I designed a listening room I likely would be disappointed because I do not have the right knowledge or experience to design such a room from scratch. Hiring an expert would be one approach, but I would prefer to find an existing solid large old room with the right dimensions and materials.

Last edited:
Agree you shouldn't have a single reference , but your reference(s) can be anything its your reference.

Regards

No it needs to be an extendable reference. You can listen to a LP, and if that LP sounds good, you can say you like it. Does not tell you how it will translate to other LPs.

But, for example, you take a set of violins, or pianos, or cellos, or Bach cantatas, or opera, from a few decca, EMI, Columbia, and reissues, it will tell you how they will translate to other similar level of recordings of that type on a broader basis. You need to have good listening points to play, and a good reference for the sound that is produced. You could have the mechanical/manual set up skills on a TT of a Fremer, JR Bosclair, and other experts but if you do not know what LPs to put on that table and how the sound should be, it is pointless. You might as well just play test tones and set it to your desired frequency response, that will be a better way.

I don't think you understand what a reference is , you described your reference , its yours, if someone doesnt listen to violins or cellos it cant be “their” reference, it’s yours ..!

My previous response i said you should have multiple references to truly evaluate a system , also what is your purpose, is it to sound like the input source or is it to sound like your memory recall of a real instrument ..?

This is no different than you using U boob videos fir a reference when others wont , its your reference and as such you are able to determine reasonably so , if its good or not , its not gonna be the same to others ...!

Regards

I would take that blank check and sell my house and find another larger old house that has an existing room that would be better than mine for my audio system. I would look for an old and large rectangular room, something like 23 feet wide 40 feet long and 17 feet high, with a high coffered ceiling and ideally wooden paneled walls and a wooden floor to which I would add a nice oriental carpet. Only curtains and furniture for treatment.

if I designed a listening room I likely would be disappointed because I do not have the right knowledge or experience to design such a room from scratch. Hiring an expert would be one approach, but I would prefer to find an existing solid large old room with the right dimensions and materials.
It’s really hard to find such a room in the wild.

Reactions: Chop and Bobvin
To bonzo. Please explain how your "classical analogue music eval scenario" method differs from someone who prefers female vocals as their main listening material and chooses cuts from Dianna Krall, Jennifer Warnes, Melody Gardot, Holly Cole, Patricia Barber, Alison Krauss, Nora Jones, Claire Martin, Madeleine Peyroux, etc. to evaluate a digitally based audio system.

Good sounding? Yup. Similar levels of recordings on a broader basis? Yup. Good listening points? Yup. Different labels and reissues? Yup. Good produced sound reference? Yup. Extendable reference? In my view, indeed.

Last edited:
Oh my god ,..... video competition again :p.
I d rather see some nice pictures of the rooms Ron mentioned , may be people can learn something
Yes it would be nice to see some pictures of the various rooms that Ron and others find to offer SOTA sound....I know there are numerous pictures already in various places that Ron, for instance, has heard, however having them here on a thread that is dedicated to sound reproduction at the highest levels would be nice.
Cheers....

Those would be nice dimensions, I agree. Wooden panels on the wall sounds enticing too, and of course, a wooden floor is good as well.

Now, I'd also need a blank check for a system that can fill such a room with loud music, and with a sound to my liking on *all* genres of music. Fun trying to find that.

Reactions: Pokey77
Those would be nice dimensions, I agree. Wooden panels on the wall sounds enticing too, and of course, a wooden floor is good as well.

Now, I'd also need a blank check for a system that can fill such a room with loud music, and with a sound to my liking on *all* genres of music. Fun trying to find that.

Thats the easy Part... :)

this whole thread is based on the premise of competition. It is Ron’s ranking in his mind which is subject to change without notice.
Nonsense. It is Ron‘s rank, to his ears. Nowhere did the room owner’s chime in to throw down. Only Carlos chimed in with his usual throw down -- I submit we all just stipulate Carlos’s is bigger and fatter than the rest of us. Please just don’t ask for video evidence.

Care to elaborate how additional supporting evidence is a negative? It’s time to eat your Spinach and you might post a system video of your system.
I have to be honest here. First off, your comment on eating spinach was just rude. Please respect another member of this forum as you would anyone else.

This push for videos that eventually do get posted, only to be shot down by certain members who have so called "Reference systems", along with the subsequent berating of the other members system (for whatever reason).......well, it needs to stop.

We are better than this.

It seems as if a couple of members put themselves above the rest of the membership and exist, seemingly, to only degrade other system videos....while at the same time, promoting theirs as superior.....as they push for more videos.

This ends now.

Tom

I have to be honest here. First off, your comment on eating spinach was just rude. Please respect another member of this forum as you would anyone else.

This push for videos that eventually do get posted, only to be shot down by certain members who have so called "Reference systems", along with the subsequent berating of the other members system (for whatever reason).......well, it needs to stop.

We are better than this.

It seems as if a couple of members put themselves above the rest of the membership and exist, seemingly, to only degrade other system videos....while at the same time, promoting theirs as superior.....as they push for more videos.

This ends now.

Tom
I don’t think you should regulate like this. The name calling and snide remarks shouldn’t happen, I agree, but posting videos or the encouragement to do so, shoukd not be impeded.

With all due respect, this is not your decision and our rulings are not up for debate.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing