Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Fair enough! It is a subjective hobby.

This is why there are many different types of loudspeakers to satisfy many different combinations of sonic preferences.
very true
I normally say:
I don´t give a shit what people think, I´m the one who pays and thus has full power of attorney

Reactions: Audiohertz2

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
and purity of the recording preserved through a simpler signal path
I just don't listen to many pure recordings, so few have music i like :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
This assumes everyone has exposure to same speakers. Many of the horn aficionados have moved from low sensitivity for a reason.

also that’s like saying digital and analog are equal, as there are both to satisfy different tastes
and they rarely go back from hi-eff or even look over their shoulder

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
and they rarely go back from hi-eff or even look over their shoulder
Indeed. Although I know one or two who keep a planar around as a second or third system. I have three pairs of speakers and the least sensitive is 97dB.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
But it seems you prefer hamburger to filet.
I just need plenty of meat on the bones, not that thin cut you classical lovers enjoy!;)

Reactions: Bobvin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fair enough! It is a subjective hobby.

This is why there are many different types of loudspeakers to satisfy many different combinations of sonic preferences.

It is not just sonic preferences that play a role. Aesthetic preferences, even requirements, are also a factor for some. Furniture grade corner horn placement factored into my decision, right after sonics. Integration and lifestyle are important to me.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just need plenty of meat on the bones, not that thin cut you classical lovers enjoy!;)
Well, I am certainly not a classical only kind of listener...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you for the mention Ron. It was wonderful that you and Tinka were able to take a weekend off from her photography course i Tokyo to visit us here. I just wish you had more time and we could have gone outer island like we did with Steve and Cathy.

As there is no perfect room for everybody and that by and large room and system building is a personal pursuit, it's all a work in progress. As a long time golfer of limited talent and fitness level, LOL, I take the golf philosophy of competing against myself and no one else. When I go around and visit others I always seem to learn a thing or two that might be useful in my own space.

The room was designed to replicate a cozy jazz club using standards for recording spaces as opposed to recording control or mastering rooms. Basically this means that room gain is to be leveraged by the loudspeakers the way the instruments are allowed to do so in the recording space. This takes care of almost all music genres. For classical music we knew that we would need a little bit more diffusion and the best way we modeled is if we used the ceiling and almost the entire back wall. This allows a higher ceiling to the sound scape as well as implied width. A simple analogy would be to think of lets say a drone whizzing by you and off behind you to infinity. If the back wall was 100% absorbent then the sound would indeed trail off into infinity. If it is reflective you would be able to guess that the drone is stopped in the area where the rear wall is. With diffusion you know it went and is still behind you but you're not quite sure how far back it is only that sounds it farther in all directions implying a larger space. It also helps when playing live recordings of arena rock.

Anyways, While I don't seek validation, I would be the biggest liar if I said I didn't appreciate receiving it! :) Believe me it doesn't go to the ego. It goes directly into the "It's okay Jack, we don't think you are nuts" bucket LOL A lot of people did you know. Just sayin' :D

Every time the topic of my room comes up I will always thank the man that made it happen not to mention the cost effectivity. My speaker cables cost more. Puts THAT into perspective LOL. Mike Pedero, AES fellow and AES elected officer for South East Asia, Musician, Composer, Producer, Radio DJ....Acoustics genius. Prior to my engaging him for my room, he did our soundstages and our post production facilities in both the Network and the subsidiary commercial production house. Done everything from iso booths to cathedrals. My room was a piece of cake for him. The genius was how he got it the way I described to him specifically how I wanted it. The only revisions were the addition of about 10 ceiling tiles. That's it. Thanks Mike!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing