18mm SWA cable - Furutech DPS 4.1 any good?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My current power grid setup is feed from street to newly installed 100A fuse, then split to chapel, and split direct to audio room via stock 18mm SWA cable, to 8kVA balanced power transformer, thence Oyaides dedicated lines to Furutech duplexes.

My attention has been drawn to this Furutech DPS 4.1 to replace my stock 18mm SWA.

Just a couple of Qs. First, I'm good on dedicated power cables w my Sablon loom. But it hadn't occurred to me to go this route on my grid cable.

There is no reduction in price for extra long lengths. So at $400/m, the 15m I need would set me back $6k. Any alternatives that people would advise for this grid function?

Any other thoughts welcone.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
We can discuss when I visit Marc, but really not worth doing this, 6k would be far better spent elsewhere!

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Hello,

I friend of mine replaced some time ago his Alphawire (10 AWG, stranded silver plated copper, teflon insulation) for Furutech FP-3TS762 (10 AWG copper screened, polietilene insulation) in dedicated line. I get Alphawire in mine.

https://es.farnell.com/alpha-wire/5859-10-wh001/cable-blanco-10awg-37-26awg-304/dp/1743231

http://www.furutech.com/2013/01/27/1197/

The Furutech 762 improved the sound in a noticeable way.

Another friend replaced the Furutech 762 for DPS 4.1 and the sound improved a bit only. Perhaps the 762 is the natural choice as the last meter an half could be more important, you know....

Reactions: amadeus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks Rocoa.
I'm good on my dedicated lines, Oyaides.
It's this pwr cbl from house fuse to the consumer unit in my audio room that is my current project.
Has to be minimum 18mm SWA, and good for 100A.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks Rocoa.
I'm good on my dedicated lines, Oyaides.
It's this pwr cbl from house fuse to the consumer unit in my audio room that is my current project.
Has to be minimum 18mm SWA, and good for 100A.

You might want to check and see if it meets code, in the US it sure doesn't!

If there is an issue, such as your house burning down as a result of doing work not to code, you may be responsible for both property and people damaged, insurance won't pay a dime.

IMO, it's best using 10 gauge copper wire intended for the application. I agree with Rocoa the last couple meters are most important.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, looks very good. I've had some likely reliable advice that expense and effort made here may be pointless. This cable would connect from major house fuse of 100A to the consumer unit in my room. The latter is full of switches and relays that would negate any low impedance gains of the preceding pwr feed cable, rendering the exercise as pointless.

It's a lot of mighty expense and logistical/safety install hurdles to clear, and I'm rapidly cooling on the idea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing