274B choices?

Haha. My bad :) Makes sense

Reactions: christoph
An update. I purchased the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube with the intent of trying it in my Lampi Horizon whenever I get it. I tried it this week in my Pacific ilo of the RK 5U4G. Well, I can say that this simple $199 tube definitely improved my overall SQ. It will be interesting to see what happens when I install it in the Horizon. I still could buy the take 274B down the road but for now I am very happy with the Sophia Aqua.
Based upon your comments I went ahead an ordered a SE Aqua 274B to try in my Modwright Elyse DAC that is in my 2nd system. I have been using a NOS Sylvania 5AR4. I received it yesterday and installed it this morning. My immediate reaction is to agree with your assessment of an improvement in SQ. Thanks!

I thought that a 274 couldn’t replace a 5 AR4 ?
I can't say why but for the Elyse DAC Modwright lists the 274 as a replacement option, along with a few other types, for the 5AR4. I also have a Modwright LS100 preamp that uses a 5AR4 rectifier and the 274 isn't listed as an option. Must be something in the 2 circuit designs that allow for it in one but not the other

So that means I could replace both 5AR4 in my old ATM1 with these 274B from Sophia blue model ? It’s would be great

Based upon your comments I went ahead an ordered a SE Aqua 274B to try in my Modwright Elyse DAC that is in my 2nd system. I have been using a NOS Sylvania 5AR4. I received it yesterday and installed it this morning. My immediate reaction is to agree with your assessment of an improvement in SQ. Thanks!
I am thankful that you are pleased so far. I was also worried that it was a 4-pin tube going into an 8 pin socket without an adaptor but I was told by Sophia and Lampi that it was acceptable.

So that means I could replace both 5AR4 in my old ATM1 with these 274B from Sophia blue model ? It’s would be great
Call Sophia Electric and ask. They are very helpful!

I only tried it in my DAC because Modwright stated its use as a substitute in that particular case. I'd suggest asking Air Tight

I thought that a 274 couldn’t replace a 5 AR4 ?
5R4G is a replacements for this WE tube. 5AR4 is an indirect heated rectifier tube and no direct replacement, 5U4G draws one ampere more heater current, therefore no direct replacement.

In the case of Modwright with respective to rectifiers this is from their website for these models :

Elyse DAC - (1) 5AR4 (May use 5U4GB, 5V4GB, 5R4GYS, GZ34, 274

LS100 Preamp - 1) 5AR4 rectifier tube (may also use 5U4GB and 5V4GB)

LS300 Preamp - (2) 5R4GY (may use 5AR4/GZ34/5U4GB/5V4GB/274B and
equivalent

So again, it may depend upon how the circuit was designed, and best to check with your manufacturer

Reactions: christoph
The Sophia Aqua 274B in my Modwright Elyse DAC now has about 25 listening hours on it, it has definitely improved the overall SQ. It's now my preferred rectifier type in this DAC. Since this DAC is in my 2nd system I am not going to try some of the more expensive 274B's. Thanks again Willgolf!

Reactions: Cellcbern
In the case of Modwright with respective to rectifiers this is from their website for these models :

Elyse DAC - (1) 5AR4 (May use 5U4GB, 5V4GB, 5R4GYS, GZ34, 274

LS100 Preamp - 1) 5AR4 rectifier tube (may also use 5U4GB and 5V4GB)

LS300 Preamp - (2) 5R4GY (may use 5AR4/GZ34/5U4GB/5V4GB/274B and
equivalent

So again, it may depend upon how the circuit was designed, and best to check with your manufacturer
I can use the same tubes listed for the LS300 Preamp in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply except for the 274B. Only the Sophia blue 274B and a couple of others designed to be followed by a higher rated than standard capacitor will work.

I have a wonderful sounding NOS WE 274B that trounced the KR and other rectifiers I tried on my Lampi Pacific. Cost me about the same as the Takatsu rectifier, which I haven’t heard. Highly recommended. They show up periodically on eBay. Beware of the seller’s reputation. With costly NOS tubes, I recommend only buying from top rated tube resellers who know how to pack expensive vintage tubes. Mine arrived packed to withstand an earthquake.

F20C56B1-9AB6-4032-B423-12E88E199F25.jpeg

Reactions: facten
I bought a pair of Sophia 274b blue tubes for my line magnetic 124a monoblocks. They are supposed to e delivered today. And yes one on the main suppliers I use recommended the tak 274b tube s but considering this is in a bedroom system I decided that I would try these first. I am hopeful that they will sound old school tube. I am looking for tone and beauty mainly. A really simple system a krell kps20i to a set of long interconnects to the line magnetic monoblocks I use the volume control on the amps driving equation 25 speakers. Waiting for a matched quad of 6l6 tung sol large bottle tubes to come into stock to parts connection and I will order them. Looking forward to having the sohpia 284s getting here later today.

I bought a pair of Sophia 274b blue tubes for my line magnetic 124a monoblocks. They are supposed to e delivered today. And yes one on the main suppliers I use recommended the tak 274b tube s but considering this is in a bedroom system I decided that I would try these first. I am hopeful that they will sound old school tube. I am looking for tone and beauty mainly. A really simple system a krell kps20i to a set of long interconnects to the line magnetic monoblocks I use the volume control on the amps driving equation 25 speakers. Waiting for a matched quad of 6l6 tung sol large bottle tubes to come into stock to parts connection and I will order them. Looking forward to having the sohpia 284s getting here later today.
Your results may differ but where I use the blue Sophia 274B - in the Modwright PS 9.0 power supply for my modified sacd player it matches the legendary GEC/Marconi/Osram U52 5U4G for beauty and tone. It does take a long time to burn in - at least 150 hours. It was bright in my PS 9.0 until I reached that point.

Reactions: retired farmer
Your results may differ but where I use the blue Sophia 274B - in the Modwright PS 9.0 power supply for my modified sacd player it matches the legendary GEC/Marconi/Osram U52 5U4G for beauty and tone. It does take a long time to burn in - at least 150 hours. It was bright in my PS 9.0 until I reached that point.
Thank you for the encouraging words. Have you used any of sohpia s other tubes?

Thank you for the encouraging words. Have you used any of sohpia s other tubes?
I have also used the blue EL 34's which are the best sounding EL34's (better than NOS) I've heard in my Unison S6. Like the blue 274B's they take many hours of use to settle in and stop sounding bright. In my previous modified sacd player I used the Sophia "Premium" 6SN7's based on Dan Wright's recommendation. I don't see them offered for sale currently at Sophia's web site.

Reactions: retired farmer
I have also used the blue EL 34's which are the best sounding EL34's (better than NOS) I've heard in my Unison S6. Like the blue 274B's they take many hours of use to settle in and stop sounding bright. In my previous modified sacd player I used the Sophia "Premium" 6SN7's based on Dan Wright's recommendation. I don't see them offered for sale currently at Sophia's web site.
That was the tube I wondered about the el34. I have another pair of monoblocks that are el 34 based at the moment I have electro harmonix tubes in it now I tried gold lion kt77 s in it didn't like them as much they had more detail less musicality. They are canary ca160 so there are 16 EL34's in those amps. Lol I don't want to make to many mistakes. Thanks for your shared experience. 20220921_151950.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing