A new signature ...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'll check it out, thank you. Seems to be an impressive adventure.
Can you tell us here in short what was the biggest snafu?
Snafu #1: this is probably on me. I expected, in working with a designer, I could get a cocktail napkin sketch of what she envisioned for a look of the room, given some photos of rooms we liked and the blueprints from our home. I paid the “retainer” amount to engage with the designer, and her cocktail napkin sketch was far, FAR from enlightening. I fired her promptly. But this cost several months of delay. When I hired another, I had a better understanding of what to ask for and what it would cost. In return I got a very nice water-color painting showing the envisioned design.

Snafu #2: the general contractor that was recommended by the designer did not provide a full bid until close to a start date. The bid was much too high and forced us to scale back on some things, and also hire a different contractor. This caused months of delay.

Snafu #3: the crew installing the support track for the wine cellar glass used a 3 inch screw for a ceiling channel that has zero load bearing requirement. The screw punctured a drain pipe. This was in an area where we had spray foam insulation applied so the (new) sheetrock in the ceiling had to be cut, the leak located and fixed, then patch up the ceiling. Of course, this added further delay.

I’ve come to understand my ideas of project flow and costs bear little resemblance to reality. But in the end I’m happy with the room. Hindsight gives opportunity for reflection of course, but I also realize perfection does not happen.

Choose your contractor wisely, expect issues to come up, and be patient.

Reactions: christoph and ddk

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Snafu #1: this is probably on me. I expected, in working with a designer, I could get a cocktail napkin sketch of what she envisioned for a look of the room, given some photos of rooms we liked and the blueprints from our home. I paid the “retainer” amount to engage with the designer, and her cocktail napkin sketch was far, FAR from enlightening. I fired her promptly. But this cost several months of delay. When I hired another, I had a better understanding of what to ask for and what it would cost. In return I got a very nice water-color painting showing the envisioned design.

Snafu #2: the general contractor that was recommended by the designer did not provide a full bid until close to a start date. The bid was much too high and forced us to scale back on some things, and also hire a different contractor. This caused months of delay.

Snafu #3: the crew installing the support track for the wine cellar glass used a 3 inch screw for a ceiling channel that has zero load bearing requirement. The screw punctured a drain pipe. This was in an area where we had spray foam insulation applied so the (new) sheetrock in the ceiling had to be cut, the leak located and fixed, then patch up the ceiling. Of course, this added further delay.

I’ve come to understand my ideas of project flow and costs bear little resemblance to reality. But in the end I’m happy with the room. Hindsight gives opportunity for reflection of course, but I also realize perfection does not happen.

Choose your contractor wisely, expect issues to come up, and be patient.
Confronting your own expectations with the harsh reality is always the most challenging part of any project. Sometimes you even have to say pass. Happened to me a few times.
But the most important thing is that you pushed through, and now you haver a beautiful system! :)

Reactions: Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
In the winter, I often end up playing summer songs. I just moved the Bayz back in the room last night, and I have not tweaked placement yet though I have measurements from the last time they were in the room so that’ll be easy. But this morning, with a nice snowfall, I rushed down, chose a track in my queue, and then tried to hold the phone steady. (Which I sucked at to start.)

WAR - All Day Music

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
In the winter, I often end up playing summer songs. I just moved the Bayz back in the room last night, and I have not tweaked placement yet though I have measurements from the last time they were in the room so that’ll be easy. But this morning, with a nice snowfall, I rushed down, chose a track in my queue, and then tried to hold the phone steady. (Which I sucked at to start.)

WAR - All Day Music

As said before - stunning. What kind of music gets the most playtime on this system of yours? I would love to experience some of Hall & Oates' contagious energy with such a view.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
As said before - stunning. What kind of music gets the most playtime on this system of yours? I would love to experience some of Hall & Oates' contagious energy with such a view.
I’m sure Hall & Oates would sound great. My wife will love me if i queue up some of that music. Was a little too “pop-y” for me when they were popular but worth revisiting there is a lot of music I was undeservedly biased against because it wasn’t “rock-y” enough for me. Prince is a good example I didn’t respect enough when I was younger now I see his genius.

Jazz, blues, funk, rock make up most of what I enjoy, though my wife is often amazed at new stuff I’ll find via Qobuz.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I’m sure Hall & Oates would sound great. My wife will love me if i queue up some of that music. Was a little too “pop-y” for me when they were popular but worth revisiting there is a lot of music I was undeservedly biased against because it wasn’t “rock-y” enough for me. Prince is a good example I didn’t respect enough when I was younger now I see his genius.

Jazz, blues, funk, rock make up most of what I enjoy, though my wife is often amazed at new stuff I’ll find via Qobuz.
Indeed, Prince was a genius. One in a million, and surely one of the top guitarists of all time. Understandably, his flamboyant manner and clothing wouldn't suit everyone, but his compositions and live performances are truly something to behold. Every now and then I love rewatching the famous guitar solo from "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Concert for George, live with the likes of Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Dhani Harrison... Regarding Hall & Oates - indeed, they do have that pop-y flavour to them, but in the context of today's music, it evokes that unique feeling of nostalgia, and they were quite talented indeed! :) What are your favourite Blues bands? Looking to expand my tastes in that area.

Reactions: trekpilot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing