A New Wave of Class D Integrated Amplifiers

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Haven't we all seen these Class D amps before, or is it just me with this feeling of deja brew ?
You may well have a point however I can’t answer specifically about the Java implementation as I cancelled the order after 18 months of waiting and bought a Riviera Levante instead.

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Haven’t heard the Nord but heard the AGD line of GAN amps at Capital Audiofest. Very impressive on all fronts yet still decidedly solid state in signature and not as musical as the best tube designs at the show. As with every solid state amp I’ve heard, I would require a tube preamp in front of an AGD GAN amp in order to live with it long term. Note that the pre-GAN Nord amps paired with a tube preamp made for a great high value combo.
You raise an interesting point here @Cellcbern as I had a great outcome about a decade ago feeding ncore diy amps directly from a lampi l4.5 dac with inbuilt attenuation. In rca format also to boot, rather than xlr which the ncore modules are optimised around. I remain interested in the latest GaN developments albeit on the backburner as I am pretty happy with the 30wpc class a mosfet of Riviera.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Very nice to see that Nord Audio has launched a new series of Gallium Nitride poweramps.
The prices are affordable!
Eager to audition them.
:cool:

View attachment 87024
This could be a great buy, thanks for sharing @CKKeung. The hypex smps are pretty decent - I once had an excellent sounding slovenian diy mosfet amp powered by them.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
How were the M8’s?
Hi Bruce,
It was a magical evening with Mr Levinson at Audio Concept, in Stockholm. We listened first to the amplifier "Maria" paired with the Alsyvox Botticelli. It is an understatement to say the sound was transparent, detailed yet shimmering.

After that we listened to Maria paired with the M8s.

There are some serious resolution in the M8s and they can play incredible high, but I preferred the sound of the Botticellis. Also I am very much a Electrostat kind of person, so I actually prefer the Electrostat sound to most equipment, regardless of price, so I am not the best to judge.

The "Maria" is Mr. Levinson newly developed Class D amplifier, and it is very promising. Although it is priced around 50,000 USD I understand (at least in Europe) and for that of course there is hefty competition from many serious manufacturers from all the different construction schools.

KR

Reactions: Brucemck2

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
So you listen to music for clarity rather than emotional connection? Is that true for live performances too? You “suspect” that tubes or Class A is a religion for some? Based on what? Why would it be a “religion” as opposed to people just preferring the sound of tubes/class A?
Well Cellcbern. What Can I say? I took and read Michael Lavorna´s review my self thoroughly, twice. I cant find any evidence he didn't find the emotional connection also with the R1000. Why would he otherwise have written his findings by comparing his experience in "spotting a great white whale"?

His review is basically full with superlatives, to the level, one almost could get suspicious ;-).

"Doubling down on blast furnace music, the Lounge Lizard’s “Voice of Chunk” from the album of the same name explodes into all out full band frenzy, with John Laurie’s sax screaming at the top of his lungs, brother Evan using his piano’s keyboard to create waves of pure crescendo, and Marc Ribot ripping a lovely supreme guitar solo over the top. No matter how rich, dense, and textured the sonic mayhem, the Technics remained unwavering in its ability to deliver a full blooded sound through the Perlisten S7t speakers, rocking me and the Barn to dizzying heights. I imagined our sole neighbor Jim riding over on his ATV to see what the hell was going on as peaks reached into 90dB territory only to find me laughing out loud like a madman at the helm of a sailing ship who’s just spotted the great white whale."

"With the Technics SL-1500C turntable and its Ortofon Red Cartridge riding the grooves with the SU-R1000’s calibrated and corrected signal turned On, I felt bathed in the smoky seductive warm groove of Bob Marley & The Wailers, who delivered smoky seductive warm grooves like no other. Ever."

"With Technics taking care of source and amplification and Bob Marley & the Wailers in charge, I was moved to warmer climes, adrift in the beauty, magic, and humanity of this gem of a record. I did not want for more. While I was in Jamaica, I plugged in the AudioQuest NightOwl earspeakers for a closer listen and was delighted by what I heard —namely the same crystal direct clarity and drive on display through loudspeakers coupled with excellent resolution and texture."

"The Technics’ big, bold, yet incisive sound was conveyed through every speaker I paired it with"

"My favorite partner for the Technics SU-R1000 were the Perlisten S7t speakers, which are pretty special music makers in their own right (more on that in the upcoming Perlisten review). I spent a few weeks lost in this combination’s way with music which was at once rich, powerful, and nimble regardless of my mood and choice of music. Add in the ability to surprise, startle, and delight with all of music’s force when called for and I was living the dream of listening through a system that acted as an expressway to the heart of music."

"The SU-R1000 was a pleasure to live with, listen through, and look at for as much time as time allowed. But don’t let its retro good looks for you — Technics has filled this integrated amplifier with intellectual capital in the service of music in a manner I’m not so sure is available elsewhere regardless of budget. If effortless power, startling dynamics, and unwavering clarity from digital and analog sources, especially records!"

So back to our dialogue. I do not expect the R1000 to solve all worlds problems, at a modest price of ca 9000 USD, why should it?

But where I see positives in Mr Lavorna´s review, you underpin the negatives, like you are looking for reasons to discard a new innovative piece of equipment just like that. Ask your self. Is it because it is a Class D construction?

Have you ever listened to the machine your self in first persona? Or am I talking here to some one that is making bold statements based on other people reviews?

Mr.Lavorna compared the R1000 to the Line Magnetic Audio LM 845IA; a 30w per channel amp making it suitable to drive "easy" speakers. I doubt it will drive my Martin Logan´s ESL 11 with any greater success, so the alternative already there falls flat to the ground, pls. correct me if I am wrong.

I always built HIFI systems from the speakers and back. Following this philosophy the ML´s constitute "the heart" in my system and what ever else to be found in the chain, is the result of the ML´s. So it happens that the R1000 on low to high DB levels (up to -25 DB, Technics language) is a wonderful companion to a pair of Electrostats.

Kind regards

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Well Cellcbern. What Can I say? I took and read Michael Lavorna´s review my self thoroughly, twice. I cant find any evidence he didn't find the emotional connection also with the R1000. Why would he otherwise have written his findings by comparing his experience in "spotting a great white whale"?

His review is basically full with superlatives, to the level, one almost could get suspicious ;-).

"Doubling down on blast furnace music, the Lounge Lizard’s “Voice of Chunk” from the album of the same name explodes into all out full band frenzy, with John Laurie’s sax screaming at the top of his lungs, brother Evan using his piano’s keyboard to create waves of pure crescendo, and Marc Ribot ripping a lovely supreme guitar solo over the top. No matter how rich, dense, and textured the sonic mayhem, the Technics remained unwavering in its ability to deliver a full blooded sound through the Perlisten S7t speakers, rocking me and the Barn to dizzying heights. I imagined our sole neighbor Jim riding over on his ATV to see what the hell was going on as peaks reached into 90dB territory only to find me laughing out loud like a madman at the helm of a sailing ship who’s just spotted the great white whale."

"With the Technics SL-1500C turntable and its Ortofon Red Cartridge riding the grooves with the SU-R1000’s calibrated and corrected signal turned On, I felt bathed in the smoky seductive warm groove of Bob Marley & The Wailers, who delivered smoky seductive warm grooves like no other. Ever."

"With Technics taking care of source and amplification and Bob Marley & the Wailers in charge, I was moved to warmer climes, adrift in the beauty, magic, and humanity of this gem of a record. I did not want for more. While I was in Jamaica, I plugged in the AudioQuest NightOwl earspeakers for a closer listen and was delighted by what I heard —namely the same crystal direct clarity and drive on display through loudspeakers coupled with excellent resolution and texture."

"The Technics’ big, bold, yet incisive sound was conveyed through every speaker I paired it with"

"My favorite partner for the Technics SU-R1000 were the Perlisten S7t speakers, which are pretty special music makers in their own right (more on that in the upcoming Perlisten review). I spent a few weeks lost in this combination’s way with music which was at once rich, powerful, and nimble regardless of my mood and choice of music. Add in the ability to surprise, startle, and delight with all of music’s force when called for and I was living the dream of listening through a system that acted as an expressway to the heart of music."

"The SU-R1000 was a pleasure to live with, listen through, and look at for as much time as time allowed. But don’t let its retro good looks for you — Technics has filled this integrated amplifier with intellectual capital in the service of music in a manner I’m not so sure is available elsewhere regardless of budget. If effortless power, startling dynamics, and unwavering clarity from digital and analog sources, especially records!"

So back to our dialogue. I do not expect the R1000 to solve all worlds problems, at a modest price of ca 9000 USD, why should it?

But where I see positives in Mr Lavorna´s review, you underpin the negatives, like you are looking for reasons to discard a new innovative piece of equipment just like that. Ask your self. Is it because it is a Class D construction?

Have you ever listened to the machine your self in first persona? Or am I talking here to some one that is making bold statements based on other people reviews?

Mr.Lavorna compared the R1000 to the Line Magnetic Audio LM 845IA; a 30w per channel amp making it suitable to drive "easy" speakers. I doubt it will drive my Martin Logan´s ESL 11 with any greater success, so the alternative already there falls flat to the ground, pls. correct me if I am wrong.

I always built HIFI systems from the speakers and back. Following this philosophy the ML´s constitute "the heart" in my system and what ever else to be found in the chain, is the result of the ML´s. So it happens that the R1000 on low to high DB levels (up to -25 DB, Technics language) is a wonderful companion to a pair of Electrostats.

Kind regards

Kind regards
It is fine if you like the Technics R1000. For the record I made no statements about it - bold or otherwise. I simply used the comparison by a highly respected veteran reviewer of the R1000 and a Line Magnetic amp's sound to illustrate a difference between Class D and tube amps. You "doubt" that the Line Magnetic amp would drive your Martin Logan ESL 11's. I suspect that the Line Magnetic (and any number of other lower power tube and hybrid amps) would drive them very well since they have built in amplification for the low frequencies. Note in the Home Theater/Hifi review of the Martin Logan ESL 11A (link below) that they preferred low power tube amps with the ESL 11A's:

Looking at posts on the Martin Logan owners' site I see extensive use of tube electronics with Martin Logan electrostatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Knife

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
Yet to hear a Class D amp that competes with the best tube and hybrid amps when it comes to musicality which by the way is why so much of the advertising for these amps compares them with tubes. Not interested in any amplification without tubes in the chain.

Again, from Michael Lavorgna's review of the Technics SU-R1000:

"....I have heard more saturation from the Line Magnetic Audio LM-845iA Integrated Amplifier (review) making for a greater emotional connection to this emotional music but at the expense of the Technic’s cooler control and greater sense of clarity....."

Why would anyone want an amp technology that resulted in less emotional connection to the music?
Maybe some find clarity a surer path to emotional connection than syrup?

This thread caught my eye because I happened to have had the little AGD Audions hooked up this week as well as the Absolare Hybrid stereo. I connect to the music with either. I've also emotionally connected to music over the crappy HK business radio in a BMW. However, I've never managed to connect to some scratchy, hissy, mono "Great Performance" from days of yore, so seems like some measure of clarity is essential for me.
Parker

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
It is fine if you like the Technics R1000. For the record I made no statements about it - bold or otherwise. I simply used the comparison by a highly respected veteran reviewer of the R1000 and a Line Magnetic amp's sound to illustrate a difference between Class D and tube amps. You "doubt" that the Line Magnetic amp would drive your Martin Logan ESL 11's. I suspect that the Line Magnetic (and any number of other lower power tube and hybrid amps) would drive them very well since they have built in amplification for the low frequencies. Note in the Home Theater/Hifi review of the Martin Logan ESL 11A (link below) that they preferred low power tube amps with the ESL 11A's:

Looking at posts on the Martin Logan owners' site I see extensive use of tube electronics with Martin Logan electrostatics.
A speaker like the ESL 11A which builds in the superior bass response of solid state amplification, allows you to use the superior musicality of tubes to drive that part of the frequency spectrum where tubes excell. This presents a rare opportunity to have the best of both world's. If I had the ESL 11A's I wouldn't dream of foregoing that opportunity by using the Technics R1000 or any other solid state amp with these speakers.

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
A speaker like the ESL 11A which builds in the superior bass response of solid state amplification, allows you to use the superior musicality of tubes to drive that part of the frequency spectrum where tubes excell. This presents a rare opportunity to have the best of both world's. If I had the ESL 11A's I wouldn't dream of foregoing that opportunity by using the Technics R1000 or any other solid state amp with these speakers.
Mmm. But first, before claiming that, you need to hear it out Cellcbern ;-). I believe Panasonic has put their muscles, know how and full intellectual capital, behind this piece like a cost no object, and they really want to take the market with storm with this one. However, I agree with you, there are different levels of "Emotional Connection" to obtain, and clearly the good writer we are debating here, said he found an ever greater connection with the Line Magnetic behind the steering wheel, so that should not be disregarded. Regarding the Line Magnetic, I asked a dealer in Stockholm I trust, about them, and unfortunately he had not a good experience with their reliability. They have a tendency to brake what it seems!? Maybe the construction is sensitive?

Talking Emotional Connection. I am about to upgrade speakers cords, and are trying out a few different. Home for auditing right now is the Canadian manufacturer Luna Cable, from Quebec. To be precise; I am auditing the Mauve (blue) vs the Rouge (red) and it is as true as it is said, there are almost endless ways to tune a full system. With the Luna Rouge, I have introduced somewhat of a warm layer in my system. The sound become somewhat rounder and there is a nice comfortable flow in the music. Imagine a really good well balanced whiskey or bourbon. The sound become softer, still sparkling and detailed (The Technics and MLs care for that part as well). One wants to increase the volume a bit, because Luna allow higher volumes to be played without the sound becoming harsh. The Luna’s definitely have calmed down my system a bit, a system that normally is extremely transparent with silver cables from Chord. Music now is a bit more romantic, and to summarize, musicality has increased in my system. If you like, maybe the sound is a tad more tube like with the Luna Rouge. But most of all, I beleive it has increased my ability to make emotional connections to the music. In this sport there are endless ways to improve the emotional connection. The Rouge’s come with a hefty price tag at around USD 4500 for 3m, ouch. But one thing is true for me. For good and for worse. Cables matter. They do tune systems. And they to can tweeke and tune and bring one something new within the same system.

Attachments

• F3C449C4-EF91-4773-BEA1-1F06781A489D.jpeg
    F3C449C4-EF91-4773-BEA1-1F06781A489D.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

as a 'general' statement on tube amps and stats I disagree. As a long time Logan aficionado it's known that low power and narrow bandwidth tube amps have no place on stats, read, rolled off high freq. Can better spec'd tube amps perform admirably on stats, yes !

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This review is quite unique that it tells us the effect of employing better discrete opamps onto Purifi poweramps.

The reviewer at the end took the plunge and bought the review sample!
:D

Reactions: KyoichiOda

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
This review is quite unique that it tells us the effect of employing better discrete opamps onto Purifi poweramps.

The reviewer at the end took the plunge and bought the review sample!
:D

It would be good to see a proper comparison of the all commercially available amps that include the Purifi module.

I suspect many (most) of the direct or Ebay-sold products just buy in the OEM boards, add a basic power supply, sockets, etc and surround this by a fancy case. The big players (NAD, T&A, etc) no doubt do a much better job and probably (certainly in the case of NAD) build the Purifi module under licence using better components and possibly other mods to get ultimate performance. I've not heard the T&A (not sure if it's available yet), but the NAD M33 is an excellent box of tricks that sounds good enough to be Stereophile's favourite amp in 2020.

Certainly the Purifi module is an excellent device and can match any amp regarding sound quality, "despite" being Class D. At last D is a real rival to other amp designs and arguably better. Like digital photography, it takles many years to catch up with older technotogies but suddenly the tide changes and everyone realises the advantage of the new. Who now still uses film? Who now (OK in 5 years time) still uses A, AB or tubes?

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A German Review of Spec Designer class d amps, klick google translate for english( red button) nice amps want to hear

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Around 59k euro, ouch.
when the developer says his class d amps sound like good tube amplifiers that pique my interest ;) . advantage you don't need a preamp, volume control and a unit with different inputs rca and balanced xlr is a part of it.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
when the developer says his class d amps sound like good tube amplifiers that pique my interest ;) . advantage you don't need a preamp, volume control and a unit with different inputs rca and balanced xlr is a part of it.
The creators of the Spec MG1000 are tube connoisseurs whose goal in designing amps is to make Class D sound more like tubes:

It appears they've largely succeeded. The Positive Feedback reviewer says it matched the sound quality of the Kondo Ongaku in his system.

Last edited:

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
RPA-MG1000 is their flagship, they have many other models.
I have listened some of them at their place in Tokyo.
It is a good choice if you like tube sound. Not so heavy and hot, rarely having problem, low electricity consumption, no need to replace tubes etc.
Their DAC and Diretta USB bridge should be considerable products too.

https://spec-corp.jp/index.html

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Trying to compare SS and tube and say one is better than the other is a tired warn record on auto replay. There just different. I put my 845 tubes in, I love them. I put my Dsrtzeel 108 in, I love it too. But they are not the same in the way they play.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Trying to compare SS and tube and say one is better than the other is a tired warn record on auto replay. There just different. I put my 845 tubes in, I love them. I put my Dsrtzeel 108 in, I love it too. But they are not the same in the way they play.
Curious-why do you have both? Does one sound better with some types of music than the other? On balance, which one sounds more like live music? I am assuming that one has to since they "play differently", or can both sound like live music?

Last edited:

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
It would be good to see a proper comparison of the all commercially available amps that include the Purifi module.

I suspect many (most) of the direct or Ebay-sold products just buy in the OEM boards, add a basic power supply, sockets, etc and surround this by a fancy case. The big players (NAD, T&A, etc) no doubt do a much better job and probably (certainly in the case of NAD) build the Purifi module under licence using better components and possibly other mods to get ultimate performance. I've not heard the T&A (not sure if it's available yet), but the NAD M33 is an excellent box of tricks that sounds good enough to be Stereophile's favourite amp in 2020.

Certainly the Purifi module is an excellent device and can match any amp regarding sound quality, "despite" being Class D. At last D is a real rival to other amp designs and arguably better. Like digital photography, it takles many years to catch up with older technotogies but suddenly the tide changes and everyone realises the advantage of the new. Who now still uses film? Who now (OK in 5 years time) still uses A, AB or tubes?
But there is more to the D-realm than Purifi.

Technics goes down another route and some say it is outperforming the M33, as an example in this review.

With all well meaning of course @Hear Here :).

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing