A New Wave of Class D Integrated Amplifiers

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
There seems to be a new wave of new integrated amplifiers employing Class D amp modules : Primare, Marantz, Technic ...etc.

The smaller amp section makes space for network connectivity, dac, phonoamp ...etc.
May not be a bad idea, when Class D amp technology has evolved and improved for so many years.

Here are several such int amps which look well-deaigned and well-built :

Primare Prisma Series
https://www.primare.net/products/i35-prisma-modular-integrated-amplifier-and-network-player/
primare-i35-prisma-modular-integrated-amplifier-and-network-player-front-black-1200x587~2.jpg
20170321_PRIMARE_Packshots_3943-e1500750515429-1200x916_large~2.jpg

Marantz new Model 30
https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/marantz-model-30-and-sacd-30n-unveiled
mz_model30_n_k_f_b_left_001_hi__large_full~2.jpg
mz_model30_u_n_b_topopen_001_hi__large_full~2.jpg

Technics Ref Class SU-R1000 gallium nitride int amp
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/09/03/technics-su-r1000-integrated-amplifier/amp/
detail~2.jpg

Hope that I can listen to them in the near future. :D

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I haven't listen to the forthcoming Technics "big boy" integrated (only in January!), but their current integrateds are great sounding, with nary a trace of the Class D "sound". The Primare, for instance, is certainly "cooler" in comparison.
They were the best sounding in their price ranges, and are full-featured, with DACs and phono stages.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
You can add the Java to your list CKK. I’m pretty excited about this one - LDR attenuation / GaN power modules / inbuilt dac and mm stage whilst also remaining attractive.

View attachment 68960
Hi Mark,
Java is beautiful.
Is yours a Single Shot or Double Shot?
When will it arrive.

Reactions: Javaman

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Single shot for me CKK as I’m running an rca system and unable to take advantage of the dual mono xlr version. Next month hopefully.

Reactions: Javaman

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Java double shot looks like it will be over $10K......I bet it will sound very good. However, the $10K? Technics has technology beyond the beyond. This is way more than class D (which it does well with GaNs and 1.5 meg switching frequency).....the digital distortion reducing features are completely unique and out there. If they all work.....please read up on them....very interesting.......this could be a breakthrough product. The first generation machine was very, very good. This is suppose to be mucho better. Read the review of the older more expensive SE-R1 amp in Absolute Sound. The newer amp uses switching power supplies operating at 400-500K. Probably one of the reasons why the new one is cheaper. Big linear power supplies are heavy and costly.

Here is a quote from the 2016 review of the older Technics in Absolute Sound:

"For its part, the SE-R1 exhibits the same bold dynamics, staggering detail, and sheer volume of musical information I’m used to getting from my reference CH-Precision A1 monoblocks. Remarkably, this is true even when the Technics amp is being driven by its analog inputs. The sound from both amps is gloriously rich, pure, and grand when the music calls for it. The biggest difference is actually in the Technics’ favor: a more realistic-sounding midrange, thanks to a dollop of sweetness."

I realized a few years ago that class D was going to take over the amp game.....leaving all these big heavy class A amps as boat anchors. Looks like it is starting to happen. Finally class D is getting some tweakers in the game. So far, my modded Purifi modules are the cheapest of the new tweaky stuff. Hopefully, you will see other less expensive TWEAKY class D products soon. They don't have to cost much.....someone just has to pay attention to every detail.....like companies like Gryphon, MSB, Aries Cerat, etc. do. However, we need everything sold direct. Get rid of the retail markup. Really silly in these days of internet marketing.

Reactions: CKKeung

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I'm currently rather attracted to the forthcoming NAD M33. Purifi-based amplifier, DAC, streamer, phono stage, headphone out, Dirac Live.

M33 Front.jpg M33 Back.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Yes, this is exactly what kind of reviews the M33 will get. Statements like "the first product using the Purifi modules"......which is completely false. The all ready released products (at least 7) using the Purifi modules are all sold direct and have much greater sound potential than this all in one. This is just one lower high end guy raving and there are no sonic comparisons to ANYTHING. Typical commercially based review.....Just rave and take their advertising money. Stereophile and Absolute sound will have the same type of reviews. They are not going to give this to Jonathan Valin, Robert Harley, Michael Fremer, Jim Austin, Jason Serinus, Greg Weaver, Jacob Heilbrunn, etc. Those guys have megabuck systems....NO, they will let one of the LOW HIGH END guys review it......and post a review just like the one in Hifinews. There will eventually be feedback how this sounds versus serious gear.....but it will probably take years. Just look at the Benchmark amp......people rave about it. But have you ever seen a review versus the Audionet Heisenberg amps.........not likely. I bet the NAD will be the best product of its kind at its price point. That makes sense. It could beat lots of separates up to 10K and above. But a game changer? State of the art? Not hardly. A stock Purifi module with no tweaking will only get you so far. But if you are trying to put together a 10K simple system......then the NAD could give you thrills for years. I tell people to never listen to gear at home you cannot afford. So, if you buy the NAD.....then just sit tight and enjoy. .............The trouble is....audiophles like to play with equipment.....they want to improve the sound. You cannot improve the NAD....you will have to buy something new.

The Technics has technology way, way, way beyond NAD.....this is the integrated amp I would be interested in. Now this amp might play with the big boys. Their first generation amp was really good....and this is suppose to be mucho better. Of course, it will not be perfect and eventually you will move on to another toy......this is life as an audiophile......."always wanting and getting better sound"......this is our mantra. What if we persued happiness and joy the same way? Imagine everyday being more happy and joyful than the last one....no matter what the circumstances......this is achievable.....yes, humans can do this. Do you want to?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Yes, I've seen that review and a couple of others. All very positive and seem to confirm that this amp may be the best value for money of all the all-in-one boxes on offer - and possibly the best one at any price.
Yes, this is exactly what kind of reviews the M33 will get. Statements like "the first product using the Purifi modules"......which is completely false. The all ready released products (at least 7) using the Purifi modules are all sold direct and have much greater sound potential than this all in one. This is just one lower high end guy raving and there are no sonic comparisons to ANYTHING. Typical commercially based review.....Just rave and take their advertising money. Stereophile and Absolute sound will have the same type of reviews. They are not going to give this to Jonathan Valin, Robert Harley, Michael Fremer, Jim Austin, Jason Serinus, Greg Weaver, Jacob Heilbrunn, etc. Those guys have megabuck systems....NO, they will let one of the LOW HIGH END guys review it......and post a review just like the one in Hifinews. There will eventually be feedback how this sounds versus serious gear.....but it will probably take years. Just look at the Benchmark amp......people rave about it. But have you ever seen a review versus the Audionet Heisenberg amps.........not likely. I bet the NAD will be the best product of its kind at its price point. That makes sense. It could beat lots of separates up to 10K and above. But a game changer? State of the art? Not hardly. A stock Purifi module with no tweaking will only get you so far. But if you are trying to put together a 10K simple system......then the NAD could give you thrills for years. I tell people to never listen to gear at home you cannot afford. So, if you buy the NAD.....then just sit tight and enjoy. .............The trouble is....audiophles like to play with equipment.....they want to improve the sound. You cannot improve the NAD....you will have to buy something new.

The Technics has technology way, way, way beyond NAD.....this is the integrated amp I would be interested in. Now this amp might play with the big boys. Their first generation amp was really good....and this is suppose to be mucho better. Of course, it will not be perfect and eventually you will move on to another toy......this is life as an audiophile......."always wanting and getting better sound"......this is our mantra. What if we persued happiness and joy the same way? Imagine everyday being more happy and joyful than the last one....no matter what the circumstances......this is achievable.....yes, humans can do this. Do you want to?

With respect Ric, you are talking nonsense. Have you actually listened to the NAD M33? I doubt it. Comparing a 4-5K product with a megabucks one is ridiculous, eg your comparison between the Benchmark AHB2 with Audionet Heisenberg - of course there's a better sound from one costing many times the price. However I do agree with you that the Benchmark is a grossly over-hyped amp and in practice is DULL and LIFELESS, albeit no doubt accurate. I bought one based on a fellow Avantgarde owner's rave description of his Benchmark. At that time there were no reviews so I bought one. I reviewed it in Audio Asylum and elsewhere saying what I thought, to the chagrin of others who had bought it, presumably on the basis of its reviews. However, read reviews carefully (eg the Stereophile one) and you should twig that it's good (for its modest cost) in some systems and not so good in others. If the NAD isn't much better than the Benchmark, I'll be astonished - and hugely disappointed as I plan to buy the NAD. Peter

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
If I ever downsize my stereo I am getting Class D amps. I am tired of having to run the AC to listen to music. I have to admit the Pass amps are nice in the winter.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
> Hope that there will be a NAD Master Series Purifi amp in future.

Well there is if you want 8 channels - the M28 coming soon, or the 2 channel integrated M33.

I think you may be looking for a Purifi version of the existing 2 channel power amp - the M17 V2

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Well there is if you want 8 channels - the M28 coming soon, or the 2 channel integrated M33.
Yup. The M33 is impressive in its scope of features and its sound. The M28, a 7channel power amp, sounds great.
I think you may be looking for a Purifi version of the existing 2 channel power amp - the M17 V2
Ain't that a pre/pro? I think you mean the M22 v2 (quite a decent amp already)..

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Yup. The M33 is impressive in its scope of features and its sound. The M28, a 7channel power amp, sounds great.

Ain't that a pre/pro? I think you mean the M22 v2 (quite a decent amp already)..

Kal - I stand corrected on both points. Sorry for any confusion. Peter

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, I've seen that review and a couple of others. All very positive and seem to confirm that this amp may be the best value for money of all the all-in-one boxes on offer - and possibly the best one at any price.

With respect Ric, you are talking nonsense. Have you actually listened to the NAD M33? I doubt it. Comparing a 4-5K product with a megabucks one is ridiculous, eg your comparison between the Benchmark AHB2 with Audionet Heisenberg - of course there's a better sound from one costing many times the price. However I do agree with you that the Benchmark is a grossly over-hyped amp and in practice is DULL and LIFELESS, albeit no doubt accurate. I bought one based on a fellow Avantgarde owner's rave description of his Benchmark. At that time there were no reviews so I bought one. I reviewed it in Audio Asylum and elsewhere saying what I thought, to the chagrin of others who had bought it, presumably on the basis of its reviews. However, read reviews carefully (eg the Stereophile one) and you should twig that it's good (for its modest cost) in some systems and not so good in others. If the NAD isn't much better than the Benchmark, I'll be astonished - and hugely disappointed as I plan to buy the NAD. Peter

I'll be curious to hear how you like the NAD with your Avantgarde! I have no idea how it will sound with these uber sensitive speakers, but the AG's will let you know right away! If you're taking the NAD with a demo period, I would highly recommend to try the Bakoon 13r as well.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Can I just ask if the new generation of Class D amps are developing that sense of warmth and body that one gets from Tube or Solid State amps? As I get older I find that body and warmth all the more compelling and addictive whereas back then I loved the idea of detail and cleanliness above all else

Reactions: paolo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I'll be curious to hear how you like the NAD with your Avantgarde! I have no idea how it will sound with these uber sensitive speakers, but the AG's will let you know right away! If you're taking the NAD with a demo period, I would highly recommend to try the Bakoon 13r as well.

Hi Will. I'm still impatiently waiting for the M33 to be come available, but in the meantime I'm using its predecessor, the M32.

Interestingly I now have my old pre-Omega Duos (104 dB) and the new Duo XDs (107 db) in my listening room and the XDs undoubtedly need more power to reach a particular volume - by a significant margin. This is measured by the position of the volume control, but may be down to the difference in impedance - 8 ohm and 18 ohm.

I did have a Bakoon 13r and a Bakoon DAC 1 for a week's trial. Whilst I liked the sound of the Bakoon, I couldn't convince myself that I prefered it to the NAD M32 or my Accuphase A36. There were features I didn't like and reported these to the dealer who loaned me both units:
Bakoon has no balance control – OK for a power amp, but not so as an integrated​
No balanced input – minor criticism​
Speaker sockets are not colour coded – inexcusable​
The input sockets are bizarrely arranged – they should be grouped in pairs – and marked so you don’t need to turn it upside down​
The IR remote range is very limited, but this may be down to battery level.​
No Auto Standby after a period of no input. Surely this is incompatible with EU regs, particularly for such an extravagant consumer of power?​
The DAC has no indicator to show when the battery is being charged, so easy to run the battery down​
The DAC can’t be run from mains when the battery is too low – easily remedied as per Red Wine equipment​

For a while I had the 3 inputs to the 13r connected to the NAD's DAC output, the DAC1's regular output and the DAC1's SATRI output. Hard as I tried (and fellow listeners) we couldn't hear any difference in sound quality between the 3, so I'm not convinced that SATRI offers any real advantage.

I'll keep you posted on my Duo XD findings and those of the M33 when it arrives. Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing