A remarkable Redbook CD afternoon at Goodwin's High End

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here is a listening impression of the dCS Rossini one-box player just posted by fellow member ack in the Spectral SDR-4000SV thread. As it describes his impressions of this player in his system during a home demonstration, I thought it would be helpful to post it in this thread dedicated to the Rossini.

Peter,

IMHO you should post a link to the original post by ack. This type of review taken in a short time describes mostly the interaction of the equipment being considered with a particular system and the system owner preferences. When reading the original post we can always click on the user name and immediately see his system and CV in WBF - they are of great help to understand the review and learn from it.

IMHO we should anticipate that the Spectral SDR-4000SV should beat the Rossini in a tweaked all Spectral system - if not something went wrong!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Peter,

IMHO you should post a link to the original post by ack. This type of review taken in a short time describes mostly the interaction of the equipment being considered with a particular system and the system owner preferences. When reading the original post we can always click on the user name and immediately see his system and CV in WBF - they are of great help to understand the review and learn from it.

IMHO we should anticipate that the Spectral SDR-4000SV should beat the Rossini in a tweaked all Spectral system - if not something went wrong!

That's assuming "we" like the sound of Spectral gear in general.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

caesar

May 30, 2010
So the Rossini is an interesting player, and my evaluation focused exclusively on redbook. Let's keep in mind, again, that the 400RS/30SV are the most transparent-to-sources electronics I have owned to date; as such, they have elevated my analog to exceptional levels, and while my digital (Spectral transport/modified Berkeley Alpha DAC) sounds better than ever before as well, there is some dryness to the sound, but on the other hand, my digital is extremely dynamic and fast. The end result is elevated vividness all around, and if I had to use one word to describe the sound, it would be "literal"... and I like it that way. Somewhere in these pages, I posted a year ago that the most vivid sound I have heard to date was last year at Goodwin's, with the Vivaldi->30SV->400RS->Q5 system - breathtaking, in fact. I heard something very similar with the 4000SV->30SV->400RS->Cygnus not too long ago, as well. In the distant past, I've also heard and owned euphonic equipment, to one degree or another, which also sounded exhilarating in their own way, but at the end of the day, I grew tired out of that sound.

To get to the bottom of it, the Rossini is to these ears of the euphonic kind, which will appeal to many and will probably sound great in "dead" systems. It wants to add excitement and liveliness to the sound and presentation, and it succeeds; I can see why some folks are really gaga over it, and why a couple have recently said they were disappointed. It is definitely not literal, which the 4000SV absolutely is. For me, in my quest for better digital, there are two questions: a) is it better than my digital rig; and b) can it challenge my analog (again, with RBCD material).

From the very few notes, its euphonic nature came across quite easily, in this otherwise literal system of mine. I think this characteristic drops a bit as you go from Filter1 to Filter6, but not by a lot; adjusting the volume up and down from 0.0 to -6.0dB didn't change that picture either. This trait was evident with everything I played, from strings, to piano, to voices, etc. It is quite obvious with voices, as our ears are well trained for those types of sounds. I could not get the Rossini to sound truly natural in that respect, and examples included Ana Caram, Rebecca Pidgeon's beautiful voice and Livingston Taylor's (all on Chesky) who sounded like he had swallowed the microphone. One of his songs starts with him whistling, and we all know how that truly sounds and that's not what I heard. As the audition progressed, I felt there was a constant tiny reverb to the sound, and I am still left with that impression. Good or bad, it's what it is, and it will be appealing to some. My modified Alpha does not sound anything like this, and these voices are quite sweet and natural, breathtaking in fact.

Another interesting trait I noticed in the Rossini is its struggle to swing ultimate transient voltages, and it couldn't match the Alpha - that came through with sudden piano strikes, soprano (that was unexpected), and primarily with heavy bass drum strikes like the entry to Britten's Sinfonia Da Requiem, RR-120, where everyone I have demonstrated to have jumped off their seats, myself included - so powerful it is. My favorite Guilmant's Organ Symphony #3 (Chandos) didn't excite as much as the Alpha; ditto for many other similar orchestral pieces. I loved the sound of strings, but horns - which this system does extremely well - failed to impress and some sounded just plain wrong, too euphonic.

On typically thin-sounding CDs (many old Cheskys, e.g. Earl Wild's Chopin) the euphonic presentation was quite welcome, and this type of presentation would draw me in, whereas a literal rendering would sound really boring; however, the lack of ultimate speed and attack with piano key strikes eventually got to me.

Overall, the Rossini reminded me of the older Spectral SDR-2000 DAC at times - very clean, impressive, but euphonic at the same time - with authority, making beautiful sounds that I could listen to for hours on end. But again, this is not the type of sound I care for anymore. Older Spectral amps sounded something like that as well, so I have outgrown that sound. I am sure others would fall in love with this sound.

In the end, I had to answer my own questions: a) is it better (for my preferences) than my digital? The answer is a mixed Yes and No. To me, my modded Alpha and the 4000SV are superior because they are literal and quite dramatic when the recordings are really good - which also means they will sound bad on bad recordings. And b) does it challenge my analog? Here, clearly, No, despite the fact the Rossini has none of the Alpha's dryness; it's just not as vivid as my analog, rather more polite and more rounded, unnaturally euphonic, and did not come close to accurately portraying some timbres the way analog can (especially French horns and strings).

In the end, I felt the Rossini added too much lipstick on the pig, but how much lipstick we all like differs. I like the product, but is not something I would like to own. I hope to bring the 4000SV home at some point, but the problem with it is its closed, dead-end architecture. It might be a stellar redbook player, but that's it. The Rossini, on the other hand, offers so many more possibilities, which are hard to overlook or ignore.

I wonder if Rossini was set to upsample everything to DSD. I think it would explain this sonic signature / coloration Ack is describing... the rounded sounds, rich harmonics, softer dynamics all pop out to guys who are used to great PCM...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wonder if Rossini was set to upsample everything to DSD. I think it would explain this sonic signature / coloration Ack is describing... the rounded sounds, rich harmonics, softer dynamics all pop out to guys who are used to great PCM...

This is true. Filters colour sound while upsampling

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

I did not _attempt_ to convert to DSD because it totally escaped me and I had no manual - so, I guess I used whatever the default was. In retrospect, I should have played with that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Sorry micro and ack. I think the link below should work. It is post #66 in the current Spectral SDR-4000SV thread. I just thought those interested in opinions of the Rossini would not find the content in the Spectral forum and would benefit most from seeing the text in its entirety directly in the Rossini thread rather than clicking back and forth between two threads. My mistake and I apologize.

Micro, I agree with your commentary about the context of such a report.

http://http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20464-Spectral-SDR-4000SV/page7

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I might just throw in a couple of thoughts ... I have zero interest in listening to equipment, this aspect of the audio game is irrelevant to me - a rig either does the job of conveying what's on the recording with an inaudible contribution of its own, or it doesn't; the latter type enters the arena of the makeup artist - what sort of "look" do you want tonight, type of thing ...

All my experiences have demonstrated that non-optimised systems always start with their own sound, very individual in nature - and that as the quality is improved the sound of all of them steadily edges towards the one true fixed characteristic in the mix - the content of the recording, as captured in the medium. To me, a half dozen of the finest systems should all sound exactly the same playing a particular recording - if not, then at least five of them are getting it wrong.

What tends to happen as ambitious systems get closer to a high point is that subtle differences get more and more exaggerated, start to dominate the perceived sound; my perspective is that the final step has to be taken, which is to clear all these peculiarities out of the audible picture - what's left is the "raw" sound of the recording, which IME always has enough 'magic' to make the listening worthwhile ... :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing