Abbas dac 2.1 se

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Details shouldnt jump on you. They dont when you listen to real music... imho.
When you listen to real music,let s say in first row,or in a hall or concert( amplified or unamplified),jazz comcert,your brain doesnt even think about details,you feel/hear the music
With all the details micro macro,decays,the experience is so live so quick,that you absorb everyhting without realizing.
Stereo reproduction at home is a total different game and trying reproducing real live music with all that energy details etc is impossible imo.
Some equipments ,dacs throw a quantity of details wich break your ears,chord dac like dave is one exemple.
Others have their own way to throw the details presenting the music.
What i meant by details dont jumps on you,is probably i mean you need to pay attention focus to hear the latest note of bass,or the fingers jumping from one string to another etc...
Anyway ,i ve logged in 100 h now and abbas dac is sounding very good now,details to come..

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Did someone compare Abbas to SW1X?

If yes, what are the differences?

Thanks

Matt

Reactions: Samsoum

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Hey guys,
In short,abbas dac3.1 se killed ( to my ears and another listener) a rockna wavedream balanced top of the range in 3 seconds.
The owner agreed that it was nice. : )
Better tonality,way bigger soundstage,way more dynamic,way more soulful and musical.
This was on 2 track fast test.
follow me here i m gonna post many good stuff.
The abbas dac is on 2 sr orange fuses,2 rca black 6080 nos tubes.
Ez90 upgrade on the way,abbas coax cable on the way

Many upgrades on the way...

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Hey guys,
In short,abbas dac3.1 se killed ( to my ears and another listener) a rockna wavedream balanced top of the range in 3 seconds.
Better tonality,way bigger soundstage,way more dynamic,way more soulful and musical.

.. literally a killer dac …

Reactions: Samsoum

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I ended up buying a 4.1SE and really enjoy it. Does Seem the 3.1SE is the Bees knees might get there via a 2.3SE? Very impressed with his cables and DAC.

Looking forward to it Samsourn.

I hope so — I have one coming.

Attachments

• AEDECD38-6492-4908-9816-1E7D721FA572.jpeg
    AEDECD38-6492-4908-9816-1E7D721FA572.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 37

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hey guys,

Great clip.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
I hope so — I have one coming.
I know the TDA1541 model are the more popular but I think the 4.1SE has real merit, paired with a valve output, a good CDT, some tube rolling (got some help with that) and it is very musical.
Its a little more compact than the 3.1SE posted. You haven't ordered one of those as well?
Abbas's comments on the PCM58P are right on and suit my listening for now. Suspect they are all killer DAC's, just different flavors.
Anyway look forward to hearing your impressions on the 4.1 when it arrives.
Lid off as cant fit the big bottle 6X5G, or the 6X4 with conventional lid on mine yet.

Attachments

• 20210605_162607.jpg
    20210605_162607.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210731_200440.jpg
    20210731_200440.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: jespera

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I know the TDA1541 model are the more popular but I think the 4.1SE has real merit, paired with a valve output, a good CDT, some tube rolling (got some help with that) and it is very musical.
Its a little more compact than the 3.1SE posted. You haven't ordered one of those as well?
Abbas's comments on the PCM58P are right on and suit my listening for now. Suspect they are all killer DAC's, just different flavors.
Lid off as cant fit the big bottle 6X5G, or the 6X4 with conventional lid on mine yet.

Im sure they’re all great. As you say, particularly when driven by a good cdt.

The model I have coming is supposedly the new 3.2 model. The picture i posted is from abbas’ shop.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

ive always been curious about the pcm58 based 4.x. Have you had the opportunity to compare it against abbas (or other) 1541 based models?

If so, how would you describe the differences or character of the pcm58?

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
ive always been curious about the pcm58 based 4.x
Unfortunately I haven't had any experience with the 1541 based models, yet.
There is a lot to read on them and have heard from someone with both that the 1541 (2.1SE i think he has) for him has the edge.

I was simply curious about Abbas's description of the pcm58 chip and wanted the experience of it. It is detailed but not analytical in my set up, to my ears. Listening predominantly to Classical and Jazz, it delivers very exciting music, on good recordings.
Without the ability to compare I don't know if it will answer your question. I experience it as musical detail, breath, articulation of the voice, mechanics of instruments and placement, speed as in immediacy of the recording environment, the performance and musical resonance. All subjective really so i will stop now, but clearly this DAC is enjoyed.

When I want even more detail I swap out an Abbas SPDIF for a Pure silver Furutech FX - Alpha Ag 75 Ohm Coaxial Cable which has amazing detail but easily shows a poor recording and or some of the imbalance in my system. Then just swap back.

I have thought about buying a 2.3SE to give me a chance to listen to them side by side. But for now am just enjoying the music.
Given so much is about the implementation, the write up on the 3.2SE is fascinating and conclusive for me when considering which 1541 model to look at. Hope to hear something more on this.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
The abbas dac 3.2 landed a week ago.

Ive been very happy with my 2.1 but this is another level. More of everything: details, dynamics, bass, 3d, refinement.
Fuller and sweeter tone too. Fluid presentation that caters for non-intellectual listening. Ive been floating away in music.

Added benefit is that its easier on the ear with computer source. Likely due to the use of a vintage cirrus cs 8414 input chip, rather than the new production one used in my 2.1.

No wonder, Abbas calls this his best (serially produced) dac to date. Im super impressed.

I might actually get more as it runs in.

Jesper

Attachments

• 9A51A254-27E6-4E81-9374-C693473585E8.jpeg
    9A51A254-27E6-4E81-9374-C693473585E8.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom and Artnet

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The abbas dac 3.2 landed a week ago.

Ive been very happy with my 2.1 but this is another level. More of everything: details, dynamics, bass, 3d, refinement.
Fuller and sweeter tone too. Fluid presentation that caters for non-intellectual listening. Ive been floating away in music.

Added benefit is that its easier on the ear with computer source. Likely due to the use of a vintage cirrus cs 8414 input chip, rather than the new production one used in my 2.1.

No wonder, Abbas calls this his best (serially produced) dac to date. Im super impressed.

I might actually get more as it runs in.

Jesper
Congratulations on it.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Yes, definite congratulations, looks awesome and obviously will keep you happily playing music for some time.
What are you running in computer source these days?

MattyW

Mar 9, 2021
Well I've been running my 2.2SE a few years now and have found that the more you can improve the signal it's fed, the better it performs.

My Mutec MC3+USB was had the switching power supply removed and is now fed by a Fared Super3 linear power supply. The master clock upgraded to an Afterdark Emperor Double Crown powered by another Fared Super3 linear power supply. Running an Abbas SPDIF cable and clock cable based around Western Electric copper wire.

The Abbas RCA leads give incredible realism though sound stage is not as large as Aurealis Audio cables. Kind of a trade off. I found I prefer Gothic Audio Semperfi "The Outsider" USB cables over Curious Evolved.

Likewise being a Roon + Tidal user network upgrades also gave improvements. Linear power supplies on all networking gear, a Renolabs Ultimate Audio Switch and Supra CAT8 cables collectively made a huge improvement.... Likewise the Network Acoustics Eno Ag filter has made an incredible improvement in terms of textures, details, soundstaging etc. Unable to avoid becoming emotional listening to music at this point.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Yes, definite congratulations, looks awesome and obviously will keep you happily playing music for some time.
What are you running in computer source these days?

At the moment an auralic aries g2, but this may change. But I think that this vintage cirrus chip is something all abbas users should try.

Reactions: Artnet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing