Abbas dac 2.1 se

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@charles1dad - Charles, glad that your initial listening impressions have been very satisfying; looking forward to future updates.
Wonderfully satisfying with so few hours on the 3.2SE. Needless to say my expectations were very high and probably increased during the nearly 6 months waiting from time of my order.

The ability to thoroughly separate and distinguish seemingly all subtle music details of individual recordings is very admirable.Musical flow and rhythm is excellent! This is a first rate “breath of life “ /“flesh and blood “ type of DAC.
Charles

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
..for me as well, but please, keep in mind we are talking about an DAC which is <€5k ;-)

So don't compare it to the shiny MSB/Aqua/dCS world ;-)
..my race for the best commercial DAC has ended already and I will stop with Abbas one...
I don't looking anymore for something "producing" sound, more now on the "re-producing" edge and better focusing on the right speakers/AMP.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wonderfully satisfying with so few hours on the 3.2SE. Needless to say my expectations were very high and probably increased during the nearly 6 months waiting from time of my order.

The ability to thoroughly separate and distinguish seemingly all subtle music details of individual recordings is very admirable.Musical flow and rhythm is excellent! This is a first rate “breath of life “ /“flesh and blood “ type of DAC.
Charles

Congratulations, Charles! I am very happy for you!

Reactions: Scott Naylor

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Congratulations, Charles! I am very happy for you!
Thank you Ron, I appreciate that. You are a kind gentleman.
Charles
..for me as well, but please, keep in mind we are talking about an DAC which is <€5k ;-)

So don't compare it to the shiny MSB/Aqua/dCS world ;-)
..my race for the best commercial DAC has ended already and I will stop with Abbas one...
I don't looking anymore for something "producing" sound, more now on the "re-producing" edge and better focusing on the right speakers/AMP.
@gerihifi
Hi,
I don’t know if your comment is directly toward me or not. In any event let me clarify. I wasn’t comparing the 3.2SE against any particular DAC when sharing my listening impressions of it.

I agree that there are many DACs available at price points and sonic signatures from A through Z. A vast DAC marketplace to serve a multitude of preferences.

My assessment of the 3.2SE is just conveying what I am hearing so far and it’s very reassuring and welcomed. I have a friend who is an audio dealer, this allows me to hear many different components over a period of time. This includes DACs.

I didn’t bother to mention other DACs I’ve heard (Very accomplished ones) as that was not my focus or interest. In a nutshell the 3.2SE is strictly on its own merits an exceptionally fine sounding DAC.

Its ability to present recorded music the way it does puts it in very esteem company. It makes listening to music a wonderful and exciting experience.

I sincerely believe that it would make many discriminating/experienced listeners very happy.
Charles

Last edited:

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
That is fantastic Charles. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Abbas I am glad it met your high expectations!

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
That is fantastic Charles. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Abbas I am glad it met your high expectations!
Hi Bob,
Thank you. I am quite pleased with my outcome.
Charles

Reactions: zebo67

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Charles, at the end of the day, the only thing matters is how this DAC allows to connect to the music. I am happy for you!
Thanks and I agree with you completely. That’s all I want an audio component to do and the Abbas is most assuredly fulfilling that role.
Charles

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Always great to read reviews like that Charles. Congrats.

Much better than the ones that go like, "I like it, but am still waiting for burn-in and switching back and forth with my other DAC to see what each does better."

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Always great to read reviews like that Charles. Congrats.

Much better than the ones that go like, "I like it, but am still waiting for burn-in and switching back and forth with my other DAC to see what each does better."
@cal3713
Thanks.
Being familiar with your background, components and taste, you’d absolutely appreciate and thoroughly enjoy the Abbas 3.2SE.
Charles

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Charles, at the end of the day, the only thing matters is how this DAC allows to connect to the music

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: charles1dad

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
@cal3713
Thanks.
Being familiar with your background, components and taste, you’d absolutely appreciate and thoroughly enjoy the Abbas 3.2SE.
Charles
I am sure I would. Hopefully I get the chance to put one in the system some day.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi,
@vinhxn,
Not sure if you are still following this thread or not. How has your 3.2 Signature come along with further burn-in/playing time?

I reached the 100 hour juncture yesterday evening. The 3.2SE continues to evolve and improve. As I reported that at 20 hours it was sounding “very “ good. Its moved above and beyond.

I will see/hear what happens between now and 200 hours (This much time needed per Abbas for the Blackgate capacitors to fully sound their best). In my humble opinion this DAC provides sublime sound quality.

I am sure that some of the improving sound can be attributed to the tubes, cables, internal wiring, resistors etc. burning in as well. But apparently the main factor is the capacitors gradually forming.
Charles

Last edited:

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
Hi,
@vinhxn,
Not sure if you are still following this thread or not. How has your 3.2 Signature come along with further burn-in/playing time?

I reached the 100 hour juncture yesterday evening. The 3.2SE continues to evolve and improve. As I reported that at 20 hours it was sounding “very “ good. Its moved above and beyond.

I will see/hear what happens between now and 200 hours (This much time needed per Abbas for the Blackgate capacitors to fully sound their best). In my humble opinion this DAC provides sublime sound quality.

I am sure that some of the improving sound can be attributed to the tubes, cables, internal wiring, resistors etc. burning in as well. But apparently the main factor is the capacitors gradually forming.
Charles
Charles, I bet you are anxiously waiting for 200 hours mark transformation. I believe your DAC will continue to evolve until about 300-350 hours….exciting times indeed!

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Charles, I bet you are anxiously waiting for 200 hours mark transformation. I believe your DAC will continue to evolve until about 300-350 hours….exciting times indeed!
I have read comments from Blackgate capacitor users on other forums who agree with your beyond 200 hours to completely reach maturity level of performance.

Apparently Rubycon (Their manufacturer) utilized graphite in the dielectric layer. This is said to be the cause for the extended burn-in requirement.

This is exciting! Absolutely terrific sounding at present and the potential for more (How much?) improvement. Fun !!!
Charles

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Apparently Rubycon (Their manufacturer) utilized graphite in the dielectric layer. This is said to be the cause for the extended burn-in requirement.

I was reading that it is this paper impregnated with graphite that is the illusive link in replicating them. As hard as Audio Note try they haven't mastered it yet. Hopefully they have sorted the problem by the time that recapping is needed. Along way ahead with much music to be enjoyed !!

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I was reading that it is this paper impregnated with graphite that is the illusive link in replicating them. As hard as Audio Note try they haven't mastered it yet. Hopefully they have sorted the problem by the time that recapping is needed. Along way ahead with much music to be enjoyed !!
Peter Qvortrup and Andy Grove (Audio Note) do show much admiration for the Blackgate capacitors. These along with their Audio Note tantalum resistors are reserved for their upper level category components.

I appreciate that these high caliber parts are being utilized in the Abbas “SE” designated components. Good for us.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Some may find this of interest.

Absolutely Thank you its a good read.

My comments weren't a slight on Audio Note for whom I have much regard. Certainly the article highlights the need for such development and awareness of audio grade components as well as the complex task of integration.
So Hats off to AN for keeping the development and manufacturing of such needed components going

The comment I was making was taken from from reading some other observations regarding Rubycon, that they haven't made them honoring the no longer valid license from the sadly deceased creator of these legendary components.

My unnecessary lament is that in 20 or 30 years time when my DAC needs recapping it just wont sound the same but then it never does.

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Some may find this of interest.

Charles
Thanks for providing this link. BlackGates have been my favorite power supply cap for over 20 years now, and the very best ones by far are the high-voltage WKZ caps which are not even mentioned in the article. I was fortunate to buy a number of WKZ caps as well as some FK and VK caps when BlackGates were discontinued, and I have now used nearly all of them in building my amps, preamps and DACs in the years since then.

Audio Note says they are working on a replacement for BlackGates, one that will be even better sonically, and I certainly hope they succeed. The world would be a better place if BG-quality caps were available once again. Unfortunately Audio Note’s Kaisei caps are not nearly as good as the old WKZ caps so there is still much work to be done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing