Abbas dac 2.1 se

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Artnet
Congratulations!!!
I’m glad that you finally received your 3.2SE DAC. Good to know that you are very pleased with its placement into your listening room and system.
Charles

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Congratulations!!!
I’m glad that you finally received your 3.2SE DAC. Good to know that you are very pleased with its placement into your listening room and system.
Charles

Thank you Charles.
It has been a journey and am truly happy and impressed with the 3.2SE. It is a larger sound with the 6080 output but the observations from some regarding the 2.4 and 2.3, 2.0 etc indicate that its Abbas's TDA1541 implementation that he has mastered.
It is my first time with a TDA 1541 and so confident with the sound of the 4.1 was I that I went for the larger format as you did and glad for it.
Smiling as I type!!
After all the excitement I will undoubtedly listen to the 4.1SE again, differently now but still appreciate its voicing.

Lots happening in the system at the moment so placement, physically is sadly on the floor waiting on a larger rack, but placement within the system is as you have said "...it just sound right."
While on the floor and winter here there is no problem with the lid on but I think once on a rack the lid will be off to admire the innards:)

On the floor.jpg

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I attended an audio meetup last night and wanted to share an interesting experience.

We did a back-to-back-to-back with Tape/Vinyl/ Abbas 2.0 DAC with a common jazz track from each.

We started with tape, "the best analog source there is" and moved to Vinyl and last did digital.

The guy who brought all the tapes and the reel-to-reel machines had walked away while the tape was playing. We switched sources, to Vinyl, then to digital but accidentally left the tape machine playing. He walked back up and said: This is a really good tape, isn't it?

I had to let him know that in fact, we were listening to the 2.0 DAC with the Abbas USB/spdif converter.

He didn't know what to say and frankly, I think he was a little shocked.

To be fair, IMO there was more detail in the music coming from the DAC, but there was a touch more warmth coming from the tape and vinyl. We were all surprised at how awesome the 2.0 DAC sounded and went on to play many more tracks back and forth, which was super fun and eye-opening because the cost of this DAC is in line with how much a couple of tapes sell for now and gave us 99% of the sound we wanted.

Figured you all would appreciate this.

This is the dac with solid state (germanium) ouput stage that you bought in kit form, isnt it?

Reactions: limberpine

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Yes, it is.
Unfortunately it's having a problem now where after ~3hrs of runtime, it makes some weird rushing and popping noises, so I'm waiting to hear back from Abbas on how to trouble shoot. We've already done a little bit and it seems to be something wrong with the output board.

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
I got my Abbas tube clock/ USB-to-Coax converter about a week ago. Unfortunately, it appears customs went through it and poorly repacked it, so a few of the tubes got broken. I just got the replacements, fired the thing up, and so far so good. It seems a touch more lively and natural than the coax out from my Allo Digione Signature tophat. Im going to run it on the secondary system for a few days, then when I get a chance over the next week Ill make a proper review thread about it compared to Schiit Eitr (low end) and Mutec 3 + Clock (high end)

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
3.2SE after 3M+ listening:

- Abbas for sure has mastered DAC vintage building, those details he paid attention is all about why I personal support him and avoid large brands the last 3+Y
- still not playing with tube rolling (lot on spare), because it is already sounding great (& screwed cabinet ;-)
- Using it now on my Lumin streaming bridge, as well on my Vintage CD Pioneer PD-93, as well on my Cyrus CDi (yes, their own chip is great, having also external PSU, but love it with 3.2)

Placement is important, don't underestimate heating. Yes, fan does a good job, but I'd not recommend (at least if closed) to put it in a rack! Leave enough air on top, as well from the side.

I also moved the too bright blue/red LEDs to the side, didn't like it in darker light situation, way too bright

..yes, my Weiss 501 mkII/4ch now only used for HiRes above 96kHz, where 3.2/TDA1541 unsupported

Best regards from another Abbas groupie..
Gerald

__
HifiCommunityCouch: https://hificouch.world/
SetupID: hifi00001

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
3.2SE after 3M+ listening:

- Abbas for sure has mastered DAC vintage building, those details he paid attention is all about why I personal support him and avoid large brands the last 3+Y
- still not playing with tube rolling (lot on spare), because it is already sounding great (& screwed cabinet ;-)
- Using it now on my Lumin streaming bridge, as well on my Vintage CD Pioneer PD-93, as well on my Cyrus CDi (yes, their own chip is great, having also external PSU, but love it with 3.2)

Placement is important, don't underestimate heating. Yes, fan does a good job, but I'd not recommend (at least if closed) to put it in a rack! Leave enough air on top, as well from the side.

I also moved the too bright blue/red LEDs to the side, didn't like it in darker light situation, way too bright

..yes, my Weiss 501 mkII/4ch now only used for HiRes above 96kHz, where 3.2/TDA1541 unsupported

Best regards from another Abbas groupie..
Gerald

__
HifiCommunityCouch: https://hificouch.world/
SetupID: hifi00001
Thanks for your update comments.
1, agree that the stock tubes selected by Abbas are excellent! Tube rolling can fine tune sonic characteristics to fit personal tastes and audio systems as so desired. Certainly not a mandatory action.

2, Heat is not an issue in my situation and the fan has yet to be activated during the seven months I have had the 3.2 SE+ DAC. I keep it on the top of my audio component table in an open space with the lid off. I love viewing the beautifully arranged interior.

3, I’m glad you are enjoying your 3.2SE-+ to such an extent. Between it and the Weiss 501 DAC you have things completely covered.

4, I am thrilled to have come across this thread last summer (Thank you much @jespera ). I had no idea of Abbas whatsoever. I’m so grateful to have discovered this sublime sounding DAC.
Charles

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Just curious, because asked Abbas in regards of the DAC U1 Signature snd the PCM63.
He mentioned he sold all units with PCM63-K version.

Anyone here with this unit and like to share their experience?

Thanks a lot!
Gerald

Last edited:

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Just curious,

Yes, words from Abbas on the U1 have that effect!!

"While the TDA1541 still excels in transmitting the human voice, the competition is now neck and neck. The clavichord with the new DAC sounds unusually clear and colorful."

I am curious too but am thoroughly enjoying the "human voice" on the 3.2. I guess it depends on what you listen to.

Tube rolling seems to be a whole other burn in process that initially takes me away from listening to the music. That said I will be doing some rolling to see what influence I can have on the clavichord which in the scheme of things is certainly not disappointing.
As @charles1dad indicates not essential for enjoying the music mostly fine tuning. I am also more inclined to experiment with transports both streaming and CDT to explore the sonic characteristics. Eventually when the time comes and the bottlenecks appear I will play but really just enjoying the music and cant figure a more resolving DAC for now.

I opted for a green and red LED. The green is ever so faint when not fully inserted into the front panel. less distracting.

Still not convinced by the essential cooling fan. Larger and fewer rpm would seem preferable but again placement helps to reduce reflected noise for the quiet passages. The cover will be of soon for the summer and placed with plenty of ventilation.

Another Abbas groupie's reflections wishing you enjoy the music
Stephen

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Streaming has crossed my mind several times recently and I wanted to share a recent experience.
I am in the process of changing a Vinyl set up, sadly neglected since discovering Abbas DAC's.
So I am reliant on CD's to enjoy music, with no real streaming options that can take advantage of my Abbas 3.2 DAC in other ways.

This is a digital thread with no more relevant a place to ask the question how good a DAC is my 3.2 ?

I had to discuss this recently prior to auditioning a streamer for a friend who is by distance unable to audition himself. He knows my system and I agreed to assist excitedly as what he was/is interested in, is a Grimm MU1 to pair with his Weiss Medus DAC. A match made in heaven by my accounts after reading much about both.

So the evening came and a very amiable chap turned up at the door with a smart box. Later I discovered he was politely direct with a fine ear also The MU1 received pride of place with no TT there and some 20 mins later, after adjusting power cables and removing much or the over dampening absorption material that was hindering the dynamics we discussed tone, tone and more about tonal accuracy. We also discussed frequency response and sound stage and I new I was in good hands.

Cabling for the demo was respectable but not extravagant, Acoustic revive for ethernet cable from a good Reno Labs switch, power from a Gigawatt and fancy cables replaced with standard kettle chords so as to not confuse what we might hear, bar for a middle price acrolink to the MU1.

We listened to much Jazz, piano, bass and percussion then classical including, lieder, opera and large orchestra, giving up on the CD comparison early on because there was just no point, my TL1X was left behind. All streamed tracks but for 2 were at 16/44. 2.5 hours later I was aghast at the music we had been listening to, tone and detail of instruments I had not heard in my system before.

I had to put this in perspective and get a grip I reminded myself of the cost and that this audition wasn't for me. Now looking at it the MU1 seems a bargain for what it does. Fortunately or unfortunately I have too many other commitments to do anything but recover, analise and share my experience with the potential buyer.

Over the next few days via phone I conveyed my enthusiasm from the evening, becoming increasingly sure of my experience and what is possible in streaming. Whilst the sound of course is digital and the detail undeniable, it was tonally accurate and music to my ears, with an now unmistakable 3D sound stage.

What I was left with was some work to do on cables, room treatment and source, there was a real awareness that there is more than 1 hero in this act.
"Wow my DAC can sound like that."

I wouldn't expect the 3.2SE to be the same as the Medus in many ways least of all with the up sampling where the music happens if you read a little from Weiss and Grimm.

For me the substantial technology in the Grimm is impressive and does what it says, lowers the Jitter and audible noise to a level that makes streaming digital to the NOS Abbas 3.2SE DAC a real pleasure.

While streaming may still have to just cross my mind for a while longer and I may or may not explore other server option I was quietly impressed and now not so quietly as I am curious about others experience in streaming to their Abbas DAC ?

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
Streaming has crossed my mind several times recently and I wanted to share a recent experience.
I am in the process of changing a Vinyl set up, sadly neglected since discovering Abbas DAC's.
So I am reliant on CD's to enjoy music, with no real streaming options that can take advantage of my Abbas 3.2 DAC in other ways.

This is a digital thread with no more relevant a place to ask the question how good a DAC is my 3.2 ?

I had to discuss this recently prior to auditioning a streamer for a friend who is by distance unable to audition himself. He knows my system and I agreed to assist excitedly as what he was/is interested in, is a Grimm MU1 to pair with his Weiss Medus DAC. A match made in heaven by my accounts after reading much about both.

So the evening came and a very amiable chap turned up at the door with a smart box. Later I discovered he was politely direct with a fine ear also The MU1 received pride of place with no TT there and some 20 mins later, after adjusting power cables and removing much or the over dampening absorption material that was hindering the dynamics we discussed tone, tone and more about tonal accuracy. We also discussed frequency response and sound stage and I new I was in good hands.

Cabling for the demo was respectable but not extravagant, Acoustic revive for ethernet cable from a good Reno Labs switch, power from a Gigawatt and fancy cables replaced with standard kettle chords so as to not confuse what we might hear, bar for a middle price acrolink to the MU1.

We listened to much Jazz, piano, bass and percussion then classical including, lieder, opera and large orchestra, giving up on the CD comparison early on because there was just no point, my TL1X was left behind. All streamed tracks but for 2 were at 16/44. 2.5 hours later I was aghast at the music we had been listening to, tone and detail of instruments I had not heard in my system before.

I had to put this in perspective and get a grip I reminded myself of the cost and that this audition wasn't for me. Now looking at it the MU1 seems a bargain for what it does. Fortunately or unfortunately I have too many other commitments to do anything but recover, analise and share my experience with the potential buyer.

Over the next few days via phone I conveyed my enthusiasm from the evening, becoming increasingly sure of my experience and what is possible in streaming. Whilst the sound of course is digital and the detail undeniable, it was tonally accurate and music to my ears, with an now unmistakable 3D sound stage.

What I was left with was some work to do on cables, room treatment and source, there was a real awareness that there is more than 1 hero in this act.
"Wow my DAC can sound like that."

I wouldn't expect the 3.2SE to be the same as the Medus in many ways least of all with the up sampling where the music happens if you read a little from Weiss and Grimm.

For me the substantial technology in the Grimm is impressive and does what it says, lowers the Jitter and audible noise to a level that makes streaming digital to the NOS Abbas 3.2SE DAC a real pleasure.

While streaming may still have to just cross my mind for a while longer and I may or may not explore other server option I was quietly impressed and now not so quietly as I am curious about others experience in streaming to their Abbas DAC ?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Streaming, when done right with a high quality source can be equally satisfying as other formats. Most of my listening is through Streaming but I do alternate between CD’s and Vinyl for change of pace and to enjoy my collection of rarities that remain exclusive to Vinyl or CD‘s

Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Artnet
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Streaming and the very successful outcome. All that I’ve read/heard about the Grimm MU1 has consistently positive. It nice to know that it mates so beautifully with the Abbas 3.2SE.

Does the Grimm have SPDIF output or was a converter required for connection to the 3.2? I believe that a hierarchy exists within the realm of audio streamers and CD players/transports. One can move up or down the scale within both genres of components.

A comparison of the Grimm and a high level transport/player would be illuminating and very informative.
Charles

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
@Artnet
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Streaming and the very successful outcome. All that I’ve read/heard about the Grimm MU1 has consistently positive. It nice to know that it mates so beautifully with the Abbas 3.2SE.

Does the Grimm have SPDIF output or was a converter required for connection to the 3.2? I believe that a hierarchy exists within the realm of audio streamers and CD players/transports. One can move up or down the scale within both genres of components.

A comparison of the Grimm and a high level transport/player would be illuminating and very informative.
Charles
Charles, a highly resolved system like yours begs a comparison of couple of players in your own system. I would put Innuos and Aurender as two top contenders for your system. Based on my brief experience with MU1, I don’t think it’s the right fit for you. May I recommend Innuos Pulsar or Aurender N200. With SPDIF or USB outputs, you are likely to find the sweet spot with your DAC.

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Charles, a highly resolved system like yours begs a comparison of couple of players in your own system. I would put Innuos and Aurender as two top contenders for your system. Based on my brief experience with MU1, I don’t think it’s the right fit for you. May I recommend Innuos Pulsar or Aurender N200. With SPDIF or USB outputs, you are likely to find the sweet spot with your DAC.
@zebo67
I appreciate your insight and recommendations. Both of those brands have been suggested to me as good streaming audio options. Why the reservation toward Grimm?
Thanks,
Charles

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
@zebo67
I appreciate your insight and recommendations. Both of those brands have been suggested to me as good streaming audio options. Why the reservation toward Grimm?
Thanks,
Charles
Two things, ROON Integration and upsamping / downsampling algorithm. I am not a fan of any sort of tempering with original bitstream regardless of one’s talent and implementation. I like to hear digital bits just the way studio intended us to enjoy in our environment. And I am sure, you have read many reports on ROON software manipulation even with EQ settings turned off. It is not the best software when it comes down to ultimate SQ. The Innuos Sense and Aurender Conductor App found to be much more faithful and organic in rendering incoming digital bitstream.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Two things, ROON Integration and upsamping / downsampling algorithm. I am not a fan of any sort of tempering with original bitstream regardless of one’s talent and implementation. I like to hear digital bits just the way studio intended us to enjoy in our environment. And I am sure, you have read many reports on ROON software manipulation even with EQ settings turned off. It is not the best software when it comes down to ultimate SQ. The Innuos Sense and Aurender Conductor App found to be much more faithful and organic in rendering incoming digital bitstream.
Thank you. I appreciate your input and opinion.
Charles

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
I agree on Roon vs Innuos' own software, having had experimented with several variations for audio show demos. If you are streaming one zone and just want the machine to convey the signal along, Innuos is a strong choice. The difference, however, is subtle. Perhaps more subtle than changing a single cable in your equipment chain.

However, I did end up choosing Roon to run at home on an Intel NUC, simply because the software itself is very strong, and it can manage 6-8 zones of audio easily, along with advanced DSP in places where you might want it. (DSP on in-wall speakers can do some amazing stuff!)

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Streaming, when done right with a high quality source can be equally satisfying as other formats. Most of my listening is through Streaming but I do alternate between CD’s and Vinyl for change of pace and to enjoy my collection of rarities that remain exclusive to Vinyl or CD‘s

The gentleman auditioning the MU1 has many CD's and noted that Vinyl still can have the edge but left me wondering about the the rarities aspect.
Certainly when I go down the Streaming path I would maintain the hard media, more particularly the vinyl.
What struck me with the MU1 experience was the straight plug and play aspect.

While I was impressed with the Grimm I have also been suggested the Innuos and would like to trial it before making any decision. If the Pulsar's usb performance doesn't need a phoenix I am sure I will be impressed.

Hi Charles,

The current MU1 has SPDIF output and we used that, no convertor required.

I wast not aware and didn't have the time to explore all functions as I was listening for tone to report back, but the MU1 will accept a SPDIF and an AES input so it is possible to run my CDT through. My TLX1 would certainly benefit from re-clocking but hesitate to do this externally. If I was to audition the MU1 for myself I would want to try all these options including other streamers.

What was a no contest was the solid 3D sound stage from the MU1 against the more 2D from the CDT
Your Project transport I would assume its performance to be closer to the Grimm but it would be interesting.

I am not anticipating a DAC change anytime soon so really just looking for compatibility. The Grimm did this handsomely but i wonder if it is a broader brush to consider with the Abbas as it maintained the music so well. It will be an interesting journey to look forward too but it is a little way off for me.

Regards Stephen

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
The gentleman auditioning the MU1 has many CD's and noted that Vinyl still can have the edge but left me wondering about the the rarities aspect.
Certainly when I go down the Streaming path I would maintain the hard media, more particularly the vinyl.
What struck me with the MU1 experience was the straight plug and play aspect.

While I was impressed with the Grimm I have also been suggested the Innuos and would like to trial it before making any decision. If the Pulsar's usb performance doesn't need a phoenix I am sure I will be impressed.

Hi Charles,

The current MU1 has SPDIF output and we used that, no convertor required.

I wast not aware and didn't have the time to explore all functions as I was listening for tone to report back, but the MU1 will accept a SPDIF and an AES input so it is possible to run my CDT through. My TLX1 would certainly benefit from re-clocking but hesitate to do this externally. If I was to audition the MU1 for myself I would want to try all these options including other streamers.

What was a no contest was the solid 3D sound stage from the MU1 against the more 2D from the CDT
Your Project transport I would assume its performance to be closer to the Grimm but it would be interesting.

I am not anticipating a DAC change anytime soon so really just looking for compatibility. The Grimm did this handsomely but i wonder if it is a broader brush to consider with the Abbas as it maintained the music so well. It will be an interesting journey to look forward too but it is a little way off for me.

Regards Stephen
Thanks for your additional comments/ins. I am of the opinion that music streamers and CD transports can cover the spectrum from “just OK” sound quality to extraordinarily good!

Furthermore they can easily coexist in the same audio system. I’ve never viewed them as adversaries or it’s one or the other. I’ll get into music streaming at some point. I’m just so happy with my Pro-Ject RS2T and Abbas 3.2SE that I haven’t pursued with urgency music streaming.
Charles

Reactions: zebo67 and Artnet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing