Abbas dac 2.1 se

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
...here we go, finally received :)

- Shipment was less than 8 days (German customs was ~170€, not bad at all)
- Abbas sent some information via Email, how to use the different Tubes (have some on spare)
- I got his cabling as well. Lovely wooden RCA plugs, but they are too big for usual AMPs. So I use it for my tube driver stage ;-)

- First Impression? ...well, look at the pictures....just: wow
- First Listening?
...very, very smooth (Vinyl-like), of course not that analytical than my Weiss 501-4ch...but DAC is running now for 4h

..will test it in my DIY-lovely chain in the next couple weeks...

So I'm really impressed about the build quality, have seen lot of commercial stuff. Yes, not saying Abbas is the only one, but if your look at his details, this is very, very impressive!! I'd even say it goes defintinely in the quality level of Audio Note!

Cheers
Gerald

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
...here we go, finally received :)

- Shipment was less than 8 days (German customs was ~170€, not bad at all)
- Abbas sent some information via Email, how to use the different Tubes (have some on spare)
- I got his cabling as well. Lovely wooden RCA plugs, but they are too big for usual AMPs. So I use it for my tube driver stage ;-)

- First Impression? ...well, look at the pictures....just: wow
- First Listening?
...very, very smooth (Vinyl-like), of course not that analytical than my Weiss 501-4ch...but DAC is running now for 4h

..will test it in my DIY-lovely chain in the next couple weeks...

So I'm really impressed about the build quality, have seen lot of commercial stuff. Yes, not saying Abbas is the only one, but if your look at his details, this is very, very impressive!! I'd even say it goes defintinely in the quality level of Audio Note!

Cheers
Gerald
Congratulations!!!
Yes, very smooth character straight out of the box. It retains a natural smooth sound but gains incisiveness, detail and resolution as the hours accumulate. Anyway, this was my progression in the first 20-30 hours.

In my opinion, the best attributes inherent with good tube implementation along with excellent sonic/music resolution and nuance.
+1 your comments regarding the built quality.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@gerihifi
The highly regarded Weiss DAC and Abbas probably could not be any more different in their design. I am curious as to how they contrast in presenting music that you are familiar with and enjoy. No doubt that they will be different. I recognize you have much break-in hours to achieve. Abbas told me about 200 hours due mainly to the Blackgate capacitors he has chosen. In hindsight I'd say it continued to improve even beyond that point.
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet and gerihifi

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
The highly regarded Weiss DAC and Abbas probably could not be any more different in their design. I am curious as to how they contrast in presenting music

Couldn't agree more and hold the same interest in the Weiss and obviously the Abbas.

Congratulation @gerihifi , thank you for sharing your pics and look forward to hearing more.
So I'm really impressed about the build quality,
Looking good!!

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@gerihifi
As I’m sure you know, Abbas is a music conservatory trained pianist and double bass musician (Played classical bass professionally for a period). Getting correct and authentic instrumental tone and timbre is a critical priority for him.

In my opinion, it shows when listening to his DAC. The Weiss is the epitome of what some call modern audio engineering and design. It is touted for excellence in sonic accuracy. So you’re in a wonderful situation to hear two special and yet markedly contrasting approaches to presenting recorded music. Nice!!!
Quite an enviable occurrence.
Charles

Reactions: gerihifi

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg

Who Are Your Favorite DAC Designers?​

I lost track on the above thread but cant recall Daniel Weiss or Abbas Zulfugarov being mentioned?
This must be a mistake.

Separate note on an article from April on the DAC U1. Hopefully we see a U2 at some point!!

Hi,

My CD Pioneer PD-93 does have the PCM63K-A chip and love it! So also Lampizator has played around a lot with this chip years, years ago. So can imagine Abbas wanna try out something else, after perfecting the TDA1541A implementation

Rgds
Gerald

Last edited:

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
can imagine Abbas wanna try out something else, after perfecting the TDA1541A implementation
Hi Gerald,

It does get my interest, as Abbas has spoken about PCM63 positively in the past but not so much as to excite curiosity of a more powerful output stage.
I only hope the owner of the signature version U1 checks in here to comment.

Still anticipating the TDA1541A experience for me and look forward to hearing your impressions.

Regards Stephen

Reactions: jespera

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi Gerald,

It does get my interest, as Abbas has spoken about PCM63 positively in the past but not so much as to excite curiosity of a more powerful output stage.
I only hope the owner of the signature version U1 checks in here to comment.

Still anticipating the TDA1541A experience for me and look forward to hearing your impressions.

Regards Stephen
Yes, I’m quite interested to read the listening impressions and opinions of the Abbas U1 Signature DAC from its new owner. Stephen has your DAC shipped out yet?
Charles

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Stephen has your DAC shipped out yet?

Hi Charles,
Unfortunately not yet. I ordered a power cable to add to my DAC order some time ago but may have complicated by adding a USB and another power cable to my wish list. I think Abbas is busy but also Kyiv has had some heavy disruptions again in the last week or so I hope just delayed in shipping safely.
Regards Stephen

Reactions: charles1dad

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
+1 on Abbas' SPDIF cable; which seems part of the wonderful capability of DAC 2.4SE+, fed from both CD transport and a MUTEC alternative (at half the cost) "Gustard U18". Serious headphone listeners claim this betters MUTEC, which I have heard in my system but returned. U18 is simpler to operate and I am amazed by the quality of sound it passes through from my laptop with high res material off Youtube, no less. I would have ordered Abbas' converter but figured the tube magic is in the DAC, .... allow smaller form factor micro components from China do all that digital computation.........

Reactions: Artnet

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
First impression (after 38h turned on) & comparison with Weiss DAC 501 (with latest 4ch-Upgrade and Rotel Michi X5/ELAC Concentro S507):

Playing modern (synthesized) track, like Billie Eilish (Everything I wanted) or JFDR (Gravity):
- Weiss DAC play's here on a different level, soundstage is much bigger, details are precise and holographic produced
- Abbas DAC: less details, not so holographic - still fine, but for sure not made for this kind of recording & my current transistor chain

Playing live, strong vocals tracks, like Fink (Troubles what you're in) or Blues Company (Red Blood live):
- Weiss DAC: again very precise and is *adding* fuller soundstage, guitar rifs more in front/in my face
- Abbas DAC: more relaxed, not so detailed and I call it *smoother"

[Intermediate] Conclusion so far (as many said already):
- EVERY DAC brings it signature, it doesn't matter how much "NOS" labels it puts on it (Sigma Delta, R2R, Hybrid/FPGA ..)

- If someone is very into modern synthesized, highly detailed tracks, than you should go for latest modern DAC's (wouldn't recommend tube DAC)
This is where Weiss plays his favorite role with default filtering (recording studios)!
- If someone is listening more e.g. on full range speakers, I'm pretty sure Abbas fits better
- It's like with speakers: you need more than just one, to have the right sound for you ;)

So I'll test this week in my transistor chain and than test it on my Tube monos and drivers, as well full-range drivers only.

Best Regards
Gerald

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
First impression (after 38h turned on) & comparison with Weiss DAC 501 (with latest 4ch-Upgrade and Rotel Michi X5/ELAC Concentro S507):

Playing modern (synthesized) track, like Billie Eilish (Everything I wanted) or JFDR (Gravity):
- Weiss DAC play's here on a different level, soundstage is much bigger, details are precise and holographic produced
- Abbas DAC: less details, not so holographic - still fine, but for sure not made for this kind of recording & my current transistor chain

Playing live, strong vocals tracks, like Fink (Troubles what you're in) or Blues Company (Red Blood live):
- Weiss DAC: again very precise and is *adding* fuller soundstage, guitar rifs more in front/in my face
- Abbas DAC: more relaxed, not so detailed and I call it *smoother"

[Intermediate] Conclusion so far (as many said already):
- EVERY DAC brings it signature, it doesn't matter how much "NOS" labels it puts on it (Sigma Delta, R2R, Hybrid/FPGA ..)

- If someone is very into modern synthesized, highly detailed tracks, than you should go for latest modern DAC's (wouldn't recommend tube DAC)
This is where Weiss plays his favorite role with default filtering (recording studios)!
- If someone is listening more e.g. on full range speakers, I'm pretty sure Abbas fits better
- It's like with speakers: you need more than just one, to have the right sound for you ;)

So I'll test this week in my transistor chain and than test it on my Tube monos and drivers, as well full-range drivers only.

Best Regards
Gerald
Gerald,
Thank you for posting your listening impressions. I was pretty certain that these two DACs would sound quite different in comparison. I’m very interested to read what you find with further comparisons on varying audio system set ups.

It would not surprise me if one DAC exceeds the other with different music genres and and connected to different components. We’ll see. Compatibility and synergy are major factors with audio matters.
Charles

Reactions: Artnet and gerihifi

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@gerihifi
How is the burn-in of your 3.2SE progressing? Do you like its rendition of acoustic instruments and human vocals? Blackgate capacitors should be steadily forming/settling in. Have you had an opportunity to try it with other components yet? I know that the Weiss DAC is your reference point.
Charles

Reactions: Artnet and cal3713

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
[Update to initial listening Tests]:

-
didn't turn it off the last week+ (~160h runnhing time, yes it get hot, but okay'ish, neverless wouldn't keep it turned on leaving the house)
- took the opportunity of German public holiday, to prepare some blind testing with two woman (non-audiophiles ;) )
- yes, Abbas DAC brake in time did change slightly the tonality
- it shows clearly how we react between 16 & 24bit sampling
- 16bit I used different songs for 24bit (always one with vocals and one with more instruments/synthesizer)

Blind-Test #1 in my Class A/B (Rotel Michi X5, ELAC S507): Weiss 501-mkII (no filter) vs. Abbas SE3.2
- both tester clearly identified the difference DAC's in sound-stage, holographics on all 3 tracks I played on!
- preferred DAC for 16bit samples: Abbas (sounded for them more 'authentic')
- preferred DAC for 24bit samples: Weiss (more details, brighter vocals, fuller sound stage)
- Most liked overall: 16bit/Abbas (24bit: both said it is more exchausting to listen)

Blind-Test #2 with Tube Amp + PreAmp (DIY RV258 Monos, ECC80/82 driver stage, Denson DM-20 Pre, DIY Coral Beta 10/99dB): Abbas SE3.2 vs. Elac Discovery with Ferrum Hypsus PSU
- both tester again clearly identified the difference in sound-stage, holographics on all 2 tracks I played on
- the love the DIY/Tube-based setup, because soundstage is incredible more authentic (yes, bass is not compareable with ELAC's, but it is the usual overextended bass we now from subs, as with many, many commercial floor stands)
- Abbas can show much better his strength in those kind of setups

Overall, my conclusion so far:
- I still would say, modern HiRes for my ears, in a usual higher'er end chain with Class A/B/D - newer DAC's beat older DAC chips easiley
- Abbas has really perfectly tuned it for 16bit (that's what TDA1541 was made for) sampled music and it still keep's up with DAC's double in price!
- Even many don't like Tube Amp's and yes, with higher efficiency speakers it is NOT dead silent, but the sound ist just sooo much closer to what musician intent to (my personal assumption)
- I recommend anyone, go and listen to completly different hifi setups and try out high effeciency full-range, horn, book-shelf or floor stand, always in combination with different Amp's

Last edited:

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi Gerald,
Thank you for the exciting review.
I think I will be very happy with the 16 bit.
If I was treading the path of higher res the Weiss would be in my sites but fear of exhaustion might get me to an Abbas PCM63
the usual overextended bass
Definitely have a preference for horns for musical experience and agree speaker amp combination is critical and system dependent too.
Lucky I like tubes.
Thank you again for the enjoyable read.
Regards Stephen

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@gerihifi
“preferred DAC for 16bit samples: Abbas (sounded for them more 'authentic')
- preferred DAC for 24bit samples: Weiss (more details, brighter vocals, fuller sound stage)
- Most liked overall: 16bit/Abbas (24bit: both said it is more exchausting to listen”

Very telling and insightful comments from your 2 female listeners. I know precisely what they mean. I understand that they are not “audiophiles “ . Are they musicians or devout music lovers?They demonstrate keen listening discrimination. “Authentic “ Yep!
Charles

Last edited:

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
@gerihifi
“preferred DAC for 16bit samples: Abbas (sounded for them more 'authentic')
- Most liked overall: 16bit/Abbas (24bit: both said it is more exchausting to listen”

Very telling and insightful comments from your 2 female listeners. I know precisely what they mean. I understand that they are not “audiophiles “ . Are they musicians or devout music lovers. They demonstrate keen listening discrimination.
Charles

Hi Charles,

one is singing in an orchestra (non-professional), the other one plays piano (amatuer-level), but all of them love music through different genres ;-)
I've planned another blind test with some very experienced audiophiles & DIY'er in 2 weeks....will see how this goes :D

Best rgds,
Gerald

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi Charles,

one is singing in an orchestra (non-professional), the other one plays piano (amatuer-level), but all of them love music through different genres ;-)
I've planned another blind test with some very experienced audiophiles & DIY'er in 2 weeks....will see how this goes :D

Best rgds,
Gerald
Gerald,
Ha, confirmed my suspicion. Both of them finding the Abbas DAC presentation “authentic “ tells me that they have exposure to live instruments. The ears can easily sort this quality out.
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi Charles,

Best rgds,
Gerald
Hi Gerald,
It’s going to be interesting to see how the group of “experienced audiophiles “ listening impressions and opinions compare/contrast with the 2 musician oriented women listeners.

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do these listening sessions amongst different people. It’s both informative and fun.
Charles

Reactions: limberpine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing