Abbas dac 2.1 se

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Does your experience with your new Abbas match his review?
Hi,
I’ve posted my impressions on this thread. In a nutshell the Abbas 3.2SE is stunningly good! He has an older generation 2.2SE and is quite impressed. I am not the least bit surprised he found it different compared to the Chord DAC.

I believe if he had a current 2.4 SE he’ll be even further impressed with the steady refinement and incremental improvements over a period of time.
Charles

Reactions: limberpine

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
In all regards to Lachlan he is doing a great job with headphones and those kind of reviews (like GoldenSound), but I'd say using Abbas as Headphone DAC this is definitely not the right gear to choose.

This kind of Tube-DAC design in my opinion is something for 2way stereo and not really suited for headphones pre/amp.
That's why they love their FPGA-driven DAC's, which is fine with me. With those ultra-sensitive highend headphones, you need as much
details and richness (I call it analytical, more colored) as you can get.

Rgds
Gerald

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
The chord hurls details at you.

Abbas is a more subtle presentation.
I agree with this perspective completely. It depends on what a listener is seeking. What some would refer to as ultra detailed presentation hasn’t impressed me or moved me because it sounds contrived and artificial.

In my opinion the Abbas DAC is quite different in that its sound/presentation is very natural, believable and ultimately more convincing and authentic. “Subtle “ is an excellent term to use. My 3.2SE is undeniably highly resolved and nuanced.

However, it isn’t over emphasized or highlighted and it doesn’t enhance music transients, they’re just present. Comparing Chord to Abbas is a tale of “very “ different approaches to music reproduction.

I believe that they attract quite different types of listeners and will be drawn to one or the other in a definitive manner. Reminds me of the LampiZator Horizon versus dCS Apex thread elsewhere on WBF. There’s going to be 2 distinct camps.

For my approach to listening to and engaging with music the Abbas 3.2SE is genuinely superb!
Charles

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
The chord hurls details at you.

Abbas is a more subtle presentation.
I should try a Chord or the like to see what all this additional 'Detail' is. There is an audio shop here that lends out gear, so if I see one come up to borrow, I will do that.

What I loved about that review, was that he never got into the better/worse argument, he was straightforward with what he heard and ultimately let the viewers know that it's up to your taste if it will work for you or not, depending on what you want your musical experience to be.

I find my 4.0 to be detailed, shimmery, midrange up front, well-suited in the bass, and painting a very coherent soundstage with depth and flesh. At some points, it's as if my speakers are a living/breathing extension of the music, which I never felt with any of my previous DAC's.

Some people after seeing my system have remarked: I must like listening to music, not HiFi. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but maybe it means that Chord and the like are HiFi? I for one have yet to hear anything more real than the Abbas ( Even at audio shows) and to me that is HiFi, but maybe that's not the generally accepted definition.

Last edited:
Reactions: jespera

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@limberpine
“it's as if my speakers and a living/breathing extension of the music, which I never felt with any of my previous DAC's”

Very well stated and I know exactly what you mean. Definitely a palpable breath of life, living flesh and soul vibe with the Abbas DAC. My prior DAC (Yamamoto YDA-01) was very adept in this regard as well. I have used it with complete joy since purchased new in 2010.

Abbas 3.2SE takes these cherished attributes to an even higher level. Each recording no matter how minute the differences are clearly heard as distinctive and unique, which they are.
Charles

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
In all regards to Lachlan he is doing a great job with headphones and those kind of reviews (like GoldenSound),
Very much agree on Lachlan doing a good job and Golden Sound!
What I loved about that review, was that he never got into the better/worse argument, he was straightforward with what he heard and ultimately let the viewers know that it's up to your taste if it will work for you or not, depending on what you want your musical experience to be.
All the reviews I have seen/listened to from him, if the product is good he talks in a balanced and helpful way for a broad audience. Its not going to be for everybody. Thank goodness we are left to make up our own minds but with some great insight.

I find my 4.0 to be detailed, shimmery, midrange up front, well-suited in the bass, and painting a very coherent soundstage with depth and flesh. At some points, it's as if my speakers are a living/breathing extension of the music, which I never felt with any of my previous DAC's.
Cant ague at all with any of that, the 4.1 sounds similar, staying as engaging even on a tube headphone amp, but prefer the immersive 2 channel speaker experience that you describe.

This I seriously think is about the amp speaker synergy as well as a quality source and a more than an excellent DAC combo!

Separate note:
I have been in contact with Abbas recently and the next round of 3.2's are near completion I am very much excited to hear the larger format DAC on the TDA chip.:D

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Artnet
“Separate note:
I have been in contact with Abbas recently and the next round of 3.2's are near completion I am very much excited to hear the larger format DAC on the TDA chip.:D

Terrific news!!!
I hope that you and other soon to be 3.2SE DAC owners share your listening impressions on this thread. If you all are half as pleased as I am, you’ll be very happy with the 3.2Se inserted into your audio systems.
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
This debate about the chord/dcs vs abbas skools of dacs, and details vs subtlety, reminds me about the following.

I use these hearing protection things when i go hunting. They have a microphone on the outside and a speaker on the inside. Transients and loud noises shut off the microphone. With them on you can hear all sorts of noises: cows mooh, squirrels fart, rustling leaves — miles away. Things you otherwise wouldnt notice. A lot of detail — but it doesnt sound natural.

It’s a bit like people with hearing aid complaining that they hear a lot of background noise but cant follow the conversation. Particularly places with a high sound level. The so-called “cocktail party problem” formulated by psycho acoustics in the 50’s.

I speculate that it is because the electronics in the hearing aid and protection eliminate or mess up the transients. And the brain needs those transients to navigate the sound field and zoom in on what we want to hear.

I also speculate that all the sophisticated digital filtering and their ringing in chord/dcs products messes up/masks transients and thereby creates an illusion of details.

Attachments

• AC1A4F50-1E03-4CF7-816F-F831AAF818A1.jpeg
    AC1A4F50-1E03-4CF7-816F-F831AAF818A1.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
This debate about the chord/dcs vs abbas skools of dacs, and details vs subtlety, reminds me about the following.

I use these hearing protection things when i go hunting. They have a microphone on the outside and a speaker on the inside. Transients and loud noises shut off the microphone. With them on you can hear all sorts of noises: cows mooh, squirrels fart, rustling leaves — miles away. Things you otherwise wouldnt notice. A lot of detail — but it doesnt sound natural.

It’s a bit like people with hearing aid complaining that they hear a lot of background noise but cant follow the conversation. Particularly places with a high sound level. The so-called “cocktail party problem” formulated by psycho acoustics in the 50’s.

I speculate that it is because the electronics in the hearing aid and protection eliminate or mess up the transients. And the brain needs those transients to navigate the sound field and zoom in on what we want to hear.

I also speculate that all the sophisticated digital filtering and their ringing in chord/dcs products messes up/masks transients and thereby creates an illusion of details.
As acknowledged by posters on this thread, different sonic presentations appeal to different listeners. You make a key point, hyper or extraordinary detail extraction versus natural presentation. Does digital signal manipulation and alteration enhance or corrupt ear/brain interpretation and subsequent processing?

Of course some would argue what is meant by “natural sound presentation “? No doubt a subjective judgment but I believe that most people understand the connotation implied. Artificial compared to organic/innate.

It is understandable that loads of music/audio detail (Or perceived detail) can be heard and yet not sound cohesive or musically convincing. It can be mechanical as opposed to fluid, thus disrupting music’s inherent pace and rhythm. No question it comes down to individual perception.
Charles

Yorkshireman

Apr 1, 2023
Can someone explain the hierarchy of the Abbas Dacs?

Looking at the price list it's not very clear as it doesn't seem as though the Dac's are listed in order of price or hierarchy.

The Dac 3.21 SE is more expensive than Dac 5 SE, I've attached a pic but as I say it doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me.

Normally as you go up numerically from 0 to 5 the unit is bette rand more expensive.

Also can someone recommend which Dac in the range would be a good one to go for.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 21.48.30.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 21.48.30.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: limberpine

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.

Looking at the price list it's not very clear as it doesn't seem as though the Dac's are listed in order of price or hierarchy.

The Dac 3.21 SE is more expensive than Dac 5 SE, I've attached a pic but as I say it doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me.

Normally as you go up numerically from 0 to 5 the unit is bette rand more expensive.

Also can someone recommend which Dac in the range would be a good one to go for.
Your observation is an accurate one. Abbas said he assigned model number based primarily on the chosen chipset. Basically the “3” series is the highest level. The”2” series models are mid-level)However he’s very proud of these models for sure).

0.1 is a lower entry level unit. Key factor is the SE designation which means higher quality/expensive parts are selected. In my opinion you could not go wrong with the 2.4 SE or a “4” series.

However, based on my glorious experience I would strongly suggest the latest 3.2 SE. It does have a much longer build/wait time. In my opinion, it is worth every additional moment of waiting. Email him with questions, he is very good at responding.
Charles

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London

The model hierarchy is helpfully outlined in the following note. I can attest to the smaller shoebox size 2.4SE+ sounding special. Ordered in solidarity seven days after the war started and landed last May in London. I was astonished at how powerful, dynamic, airy and simply musical is the DAC, fed both by a good CD transport, as well, most surprisingly, as some classical, jazz and rock material on YouTube off my laptop computer (via Gustard U18 USB to SPDIF converter), sounding like very high quality analogue playback. This version has a hand rewound "GD transformer" that contributes to the beauty and natural character of sound.

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Alot of it is based on the dac chip that he uses.

I have a 2.2 kit and that uses a TDA1543
And I have a 4.0 Gold, which uses a PCM-58P

Then within each model he has certina ways that he voices them which dictates something like a SE designation.

Yorkshireman

Apr 1, 2023
Thanks all, that makes a bit more sense now. I couldn't get my head round the hierarchy as it didn't seem to fit my experience of other Audio brands like Audio Note etc where Zero (0) is the basic model and five (5) is the top model.

Yorkshireman

Apr 1, 2023
Your observation is an accurate one. Abbas said he assigned model number based primarily on the chosen chipset. Basically the “3” series is the highest level. The”2” series models are mid-level)However he’s very proud of these models for sure).

0.1 is a lower entry level unit. Key factor is the SE designation which means higher quality/expensive parts are selected. In my opinion you could not go wrong with the 2.4 SE or a “4” series.

However, based on my glorious experience I would strongly suggest the latest 3.2 SE. It does have a much longer build/wait time. In my opinion, it is worth every additional moment of waiting. Email him with questions, he is very good at responding.
Charles
Hi Charles, thanks for your quick reply and detailed explanation. Very much appreciated.

Looking at your signature I see you no longer have the Cube Audio Nenuphar's. I think we've spoken before on another forum (Computer Audiostyle) perhaps.

You've always been very knowledgeable and very helpful in the past.

Reactions: charles1dad

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi Charles, thanks for your quick reply and detailed explanation. Very much appreciated.

Looking at your signature I see you no longer have the Cube Audio Nenuphar's. I think we've spoken before on another forum (Computer Audiostyle) perhaps.

You've always been very knowledgeable and very helpful in the past.
@Yorkshireman
Thanks for your kind words. But to clarify I’ve never owned the Cube Audio Nenuphars. A good friend does have them and he thoroughly loves them. My speakers since 2009 have been the Coincident Total Eclipse II.

As cited above, the 2.4SE is available with the optional GD Ei transformers. The 3.2SE utilizes toroidal power transformers (3 of them). I came close to ordering the 2.4SE (6SN7) with the GD Ei transformers.

I am convinced I would have been very happy with this choice. But in the end, the allure of the “big bottle “ 6080 tubed 3.2SE swayed me. Abbas has a gifted musician’s ear. You will get the result of this with either DAC in my humble opinion. He gets the most out of the Phillips TDA 1541 multi bit chip which both DACs employ.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing