About to buy MA-1 monos- how long do the tubes last and how easy are replacements to source?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Since these were just shipped, more than likely you simply had a power tube fail rather than the amp itself. During the first week or two after installation is when we encounter the most problems with power tubes.

It the amp simply stopped playing, its likely the fuse by the power cord blew; this fuse can blow if a power tube arcs. Usually its a simple matter to replace the fuse and locate the arcing tube by simply knocking on the tops of the tubes.

the fuses are fine, i was experiencing major crackling in the speaker on one side once switched to full power, damn near blew the very expensive ribbon tweeter on my magnepan 20.1!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
the fuses are fine, i was experiencing major crackling in the speaker on one side once switched to full power, damn near blew the very expensive ribbon tweeter on my magnepan 20.1!
The crackling is a bad power tube, and unless your Maggies have a bad crossover, your ribbon was perfectly safe. We'd not have stayed in busness nearly 50 years if a power tube failure was damaging speakers like that!

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
The crackling is a bad power tube, and unless your Maggies have a bad crossover, your ribbon was perfectly safe. We'd not have stayed in busness nearly 50 years if a power tube failure was damaging speakers like that!
Ok thanks, and apologies, it is just that I am very partial to my Magnepans and possibly overreacted!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Reactions: Nuforce

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Ok thanks, and apologies, it is just that I am very partial to my Magnepans and possibly overreacted!
No Worries! That fuse by the power cord is solely for the B+ of the power tubes; if the amp attempts to make more power than its rated for, that fuse will blow. When a tube arcs its primarily a low frequency event so unless you are using a speaker with low power handling its no concern. If you are using a speaker that does not handle much power, a series fuse is prudent simply because a careless switching of inputs or the volume control position could cause the amp to damage the speaker without any sort of failure otherwise. IOW if you are using a 140 Watt amp with a speaker that only handles 10 Watts some common sense is in order :)

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Ralph do you think GE 6as7ga tubes would be ok for the MA-1s?

A very well respected UK dealer (Langrex) had a vast qty of them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-072646.png
    Screenshot_20220527-072646.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Ralph do you think GE 6as7ga tubes would be ok for the MA-1s?

A very well respected UK dealer (Langrex) had a vast qty of them.
As I recall Ralph has told me they are not recommended as they do not have as good power handling capability as the GT (I think?). That being said I have used them and they sound fine. I did lose about 30% of them during burn in, likely because of the lower power rating.

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Little update on my MA-1 amps. After a few issues with worn out power and signal tubes I have them singing beautifully. I have a trio of CV181 treasures that I am breaking in.

I also discovered after popping the lid that these amps already have the v-cap upgrade!

Hats off Ralph, what rich and textured amps. So much more enjoyable than my Pentode amps. PXL_20220611_102512800.jpg PXL_20220611_140245293.jpg

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
They are pretty magical! Glad you've got them sorted. They are pretty bullet proof once you get them sorted as well.

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Magical is the right word for sure. Mated to the equally magical Magnepan 20.1 ribbon tweeter the experience is pretty awesome.

Reactions: ACHiPo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing