ack's system - end of round 1

Kingsrule

Feb 3, 2011
ack

What comprises Spectral's reference system, the one they use to voice their electronics?
Speakers in particular.
As far as I can recall, its a mystery.......

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good question. I don’t really know, but I do know they are coming out with their own speaker soon, and I may have heard that they use a basis turntable. I have to assume Avalon is one of the other speaker lines they use and I heard rumors about magico as well. Beyond that, I have never been able to get any real meaningful straight answer from the dealers. Sorry.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston
Here is a picture of the Spectral's factory listening room. I'm not sure on age of the photo but, you can see they are using Sasha Series 2 speakers.

View attachment 47956
Nice photo and thanks for posting it. Very interesting that all gear is on rollers, including the speakers. I wonder how much acoustic treatment is in that room and if those are MIT cables.

May 30, 2016
Nice photo and thanks for posting it. Very interesting that all gear is on rollers, including the speakers. I wonder how much acoustic treatment is in that room and if those are MIT cables.
Thanks. Most likely, the amps are on rollers because they are easy to swap out and test. Same with the speakers.

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston
Thanks. Most likely, the amps are on rollers because they are easy to swap out and test. Same with the speakers.
Yes, convenience is one thing, but I suspect the bass quality that they hear would differ if the rollers under the speakers were replaced by spikes or footers. I suspect that this is a testing lab to detect very subtle differences in sound caused by slight changes they make to the electronics before releasing the next, improved versions. I assume they listen critically as well as use test and measurement equipment.

Nice rig you have there, Ack

ESLs have an addictive sound that I think most people who've owned them would find it hard to give up for something else (I have some very nice ones, myself). I've always been a jazz fan but of late I've had the urge to explore the classical genre -- I just don't know enough to buy it intelligently. So; I thank you for posting your reference classical music list; which I intend to start auditioning right away!

Regards,
Charlie

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks and welcome to the forum Charlie - I saw your system the other day and been meaning to ask you about your custom-built electrostatics, and will asap. Meantime, you've come to the right forum for audio and music! You will find exceptional threads about classical music specifically, and my list on page 1 is just a start - I have not updated it in years because we don't have the ability to edit posts older than a day, so there is a LOT more to be said about reference recordings.

I've also been meaning to post about a couple of visits in recent months by non audiophiles, relating to all the shielding I have done in the system, in particular all around the sensitive phono. The first of the guests, a computer engineer, looks at the shields and loudly proclaims "WHY? Why would do that!" - he was particularly "offended" by the exposed-tonearm-cable shield. The second one, a neuro surgeon, looks at it and points out the copper and mu-metal shielding all around and says "Yeah, we see all of that in the MRI rooms".

So if you were to explore some major tweaks, this would be a good place to start. We've had a couple of successful adopters here.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Charlie, I just read your blog on your own custom electrostatic speakers, and couldn't be more ecstatic and happy for you! WOW! And what a coincidence for me to be playing with treble adjustments in my own panels lately.

People should spend some serious time reading his blog referenced in this thread https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/diy-esls.28023/

Congratulations!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing