ADGold - the underground system

ADGold

Feb 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
We are about 10 to 12 weeks away from the completion of the room.

22' long x 15' wide x 9' height

The Vicoustic treatments are as follows:

4 Multiwood MK2 Diffusors
1 Multiwood Diffusor DC3
3 Cinemaround Premium
2 Wavewood Frequency Absorption Panels
3 SuperBass Extreme
2 VicTotem Ultra

The system will include:

Lumin T2 Network Media Player
McIntosh C 500 tube Pre-amp
McIntosh MC 402 Power Amp
Wilson Audio Sasha Series 2 Speakers
Audience Adept Response R12 Power Conditioner
Tara Labs The One Power Cords
Purist Audio Designs Proteus Speaker Cables
Purist Audio Designs Venustas Balanced Interconnects
English Electric 8Switch Network Switch
Salamander Designs S30 Equipment Stand
Ensemble Zobro Isolation Platform
ISOAcoustics Footers throughout

I am meeting with an electrician next week to discuss audiophile quality in-wall cabling and an independent power supply.

Feeling a little bit anxious about getting all components functional after nearly 2 years in storage.

1688915161728.png

Reactions: itay123 and Glide3

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Congratulations
What a great project! ENJOY

Reactions: ADGold

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have music playing in my system for the first time in 2 years! Lots of dialing in and adjusting needed. Acoustic treatments coming next week. Very pleased that I have a functional system. View attachment 116550
I'm very curious how you like the sonic transformation from the almost bare room to the fully treated room.

Reactions: exupgh12

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I can relate because I went through problems with my new room last year. My room dimensions are very close to yours—-20.5 x 15.5 x 9—-and also very close to my old listening room. I expected great sound right from the beginning but in fact it took me the better part of a year to get things sorted out. And that’s without equipment changes. I had to change cables, equipment mounting arrangements, footers and acoustic treatment on the walls before I was satisfied. I suspect some of the changes going from the old house to the new were due to the new electrical panel and wiring breaking in. In any case, it may take a good while and a fair amount of work for things to settle in satisfactorily, but of course the end results are worth the wait. Enjoy the process.

Reactions: Al M. and ADGold

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm hoping for some fairly significant improvements as the room is not being kind to my music right now (but still enjoying)

Room looks great, congratulations!

However, given that it looks acoustically rather 'naked' right now, a few questions:
1. Do you have too much and/or bloated bass?
2. Does the music "shout" at you?
3. Do you sense HF ringing?
4. How does a hand clapping test sound? Too lively? Echo from the ceiling? (Compare with rooms in your house.)

All these would be eminently solvable problems, but they require different solutions. I think the rendering of how your room might look like in #20 and #21 gives good clues about how you would proceed, and it looks like it may be the right direction.

Given that your system is complete, I'd work with it as is and focus on acoustics. Only then I would proceed with fine-tuning via cable changes etc.

Reactions: Pokey77

ADGold

Feb 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Room looks great, congratulations!

However, given that it looks acoustically rather 'naked' right now, a few questions:
1. Do you have too much and/or bloated bass?
2. Does the music "shout" at you?
3. Do you sense HF ringing?
4. How does a hand clapping test sound? Too lively? Echo from the ceiling? (Compare with rooms in your house.)

All these would be eminently solvable problems, but they require different solutions. I think the rendering of how your room might look like in #20 and #21 gives good clues about how you would proceed, and it looks like it may be the right direction.

Given that your system is complete, I'd work with it as is and focus on acoustics. Only then I would proceed with fine-tuning via cable changes etc.
Thanks for your message. I am definitely encountering issues 1,2 and 4. The products seen in the renders have already been ordered (with some adjustments) and will be installed before the end of the month. I'm not surprised with my current challenges given the current state of the room.

Reactions: Al M.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations, your room looks nice and inviting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey77 and ADGold

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing