Alesis Masterlink 9600: Expert Help/Advice Needed.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hello Gang,

I wasn’t sure where to post this so I am posting it on the “General” forum. I need help from someone who “knows” their way around an Alesis Masterlink 9600 digital recorder.

I have a Masterlink 9600 of “2002” vintage. Recently, I upgraded the EPROM from v. 1.23 to 1.27. I was told (and read) that with this EPROM update I could then update the OS from v. 2.21 to v. 3.03., which I did.

All was fine for a week or two. Then suddenly I have no display or text at startup but I do have power to the HD and DVD/CD. None of the functions work though I do have some “green” lights. The HD/CD selector is not responding. It’s as if the HD isn’t being recognized by the logic board and so it can’t boot the system.

I have an extra HD with OS v. 2.21 and hooked it up. No change. I put the original EPROM back in and tried HD’s with OS v. 2.21 and v. 3.03. No change.

I am in contact with Alesis (email) but the rate of exchange is really slow and tedious. All I can gather at this point is that I should probably have not loaded OS v. 3.03 in a unit older than “2008” despite being told and reading from others that updating the EPROM allows one to update the OS and the HD, DVD/CD drives.

So either something went amuck on the logic board itself or something was corrupted on the logic board from my loading OS v. 3.03.
I am looking for a way to get the logic board to again see the HD. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Can't help with the logic, but it sort of sounds like something else went bad if it worked for a couple of weeks before losing the drive and replacing the HD and logic (program) chip did not help. Like maybe the HD interface died...

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hmmm. That sounds kind of non-repairable? I suppose there's an outside chance one of the ribbon cables has gone bad. Easy enuogh to check but for the cable to the display. The display looks a bit challenging to gain access.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Updating to the later OS was fine on my machine and its older than yours.

You got some hardware that went all wonky. The timing is such that I think it does have something to do with something you did?? I would at the very least check all the obvious connectors to see if they are seated correctly and any ICs that are socketed as well.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Tascam DA3000 is a much better machine than the Alesis, plus you can record to higher bit depth and DSD and take the memory card out to the computer for DVD burning, ect. My Alesis is collecting dust in the storage side of the basement. It was a nice unit but failed to make it easy to get the recordings off the HD. If it's broken, retire it.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Atmasphere- I will go back in and take a look. I had already done a swap out of two differnt HD's and a DVD/CD drive. They are at least getting power. I'll reseat the ribbon cable to the board. I thought about swapping ribbons but don't have spares other than to pull from a working unit. Not my favorite idea considering...

rockitman- I saw a wite up on the DA-3000 from 2010. I was tempted by the idea. I know its superior but for the moment I'm pretty happy with the ML. For me saving time is of the essence. So recording then burning a CD all in one step w/o swapping to my Mac is fairly easy for me. It's mostly for listening in my car. Though I will admit that replaying the Lp from the HD sounds better than from the CD so I leave the Lp on the HD till I need the space for another. Too bad they didn't update the ML, it was a nice machine that could have been made great with some updates to the design. I suppose when I get a new car, that no longer has a CD player in it, I will be forced to consider the DA-3000.
I do most of my serious listening on vinyl so I am happy to be a little (more than a little I'm sure!) behind the curve when it comes to my digital gear. If I told what I had you'd all wince.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing