Alexx V arrive in NJ

Sarcasm really ought not to be any trigger for censorship, very few will remain safe.

Please re-read my post. I did not write that sarcasm per se violates the Terms of Service.

Reactions: thomask
Almost any competently designed solid-state amp will have pretty much a ruler-flat frequency response from at least 20Hz to 20kHz - on a test bench, driving a resistive load.

The real world is different and a much more scary place for an amplifier—the impedance of actual loudspeakers changes with changing frequencies, sometimes with astonishing speed and degree. The Alexx V and XVX are particular cases in point, each with very low minimum impedance points.

This means that not only will an amplifier’s output capability vary with frequency, but once you start driving it with a musical signal, its capability in responding to the dynamics of music comes very much into play. That’s a critical part of this, as no two amplifiers will be the same in that regard.

So, in the real world and real systems, two different amplifiers will drive the same speaker very differently, with a different dynamic and bass response.

I think the whole point of Roy Gregory’s post was that while it would be nice if changing an amplifier were a simple thing, it’s just not. In reality, you are changing both the relationship between the amplifier and speaker but also the relationship between the speaker and the room. If a speaker is being driven differently by whatever amplifier, then the speaker will drive differently what it is driving. And that is the room. It’s been my experience that it’s essential to consider speaker placement when you change the amp(s) - or pretty much anything else in the system! That’s just physics...

Hi Stirling!

Welcome to WBF!

Thank you for your understandable and experience-based post!

Keep this in the context of amplifiers costing over $200,000.00. The John Curl designed JC-1+ amps do not have an issue with the load.
Of course, thank you. The JC-1+ is an excellent amplifier. I apologize if my comment wasn't clear. I was not commenting on the quality of the amplifier, but rather the operational characteristics between amplifiers.

Reactions: RideCA and adyc
Dear David,

The Terms of Service have not changed. Enforcement has not changed.

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.

10. Posting topics involving politics, religion or firearms are not allowed and will be removed with appropriate warnings issued to the member. Repeated offenses can result in membership ban.

Obnoxious is not cordial; sarcastic is not cordial; snarky is not cordial; swearing is not cordial. Politics is not allowed; veiled or implied political "shots" or innuendo are not allowed. The moderators enforce these rules as best they can
deleted by myself

Last edited:
As more and more post's get delete to placate reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers, the buying customers taper away and stop posting. Who is left to be influenced ? Is a forum where every thread is about a "revolutionary new product" posted by a dealer or manufacturer interesting ? :rolleyes:

Please feel free to start a new thread and post publicly, or to write to me privately, about the posts which were deleted but which you feel did not violate the Terms of Service -- meaning the posts you feel were improperly deleted to "placate reviwers, advertisers and manufactuers."

I am open-minded and happy to be persuaded that I deleted improperly or unfairly a post which did not qualify as not "cordial" or which was not "political."

Reactions: MadFloyd
Perhaps letting us know is what’s missing here. i get it’s a big boy world in money on the wallet. but just making changes unannounced is wrong. fix the method or it will be just the experts padding each other on the backs being clueless lol.

Forgive me, but I am not following you. There have been no changes.

These Terms of Service have been in effect since something like 2010.

Reactions: K3RMIT
Of course, thank you. The JC-1+ is an excellent amplifier. I apologize if my comment wasn't clear. I was not commenting on the quality of the amplifier, but rather the operational characteristics between amplifiers.

The practice of repositioning speakers to compare amplifiers is so flawed that I will go as far as to state that repositioning the speakers disqualifies any comparison of the amplifiers. After all it’s simply physics……for the reasons that you stated in your previous post.

This disclosure certainly puts the reviewer in new light.

Oh my, Carlos, you are really not getting this...

If you don't move the speakers, you'll never know whether the amp driving them has an issue or not. Maybe you move them and things get worse (ergo. the amp sucks) or maybe you move them and things lock in - in which case the amp needed the positional adjustment. Maybe you should try it? I've had no problem demonstrating this both to visiting manufacturers and members of the public in show presentations.

Keep this in the context of amplifiers costing over $200,000.00. The John Curl designed JC-1+ amps do not have an issue with the load.
maybe because the Alexx v were positioned carefully with the JC-1+ originally and not moved at all from that position with the M10 ? I did not pick up this if its the case, maybe Marty would reply to this ?

Oh my, Carlos, you are really not getting this...

If you don't move the speakers, you'll never know whether the amp driving them has an issue or not. Maybe you move them and things get worse (ergo. the amp sucks) or maybe you move them and things lock in - in which case the amp needed the positional adjustment. Maybe you should try it? I've had no problem demonstrating this both to visiting manufacturers and members of the public in show presentations.
Repositioning the speakers simply invalidates the comparison of the amplifiers. This is not about optimizing the speaker placement for the amplifier. Your stated theory was that to compare the amplifiers you had to reposition them. Do I need to go any further?

Reactions: Young Skywalker
Forgive me, but I am not following you. There have been no changes.

These Terms of Service have been in effect since something like 2010.
Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t find my post here. maybe I never hit the post button. and if your saying nothing was changed that is very kid of you to reply
and I’ll edit my post now
ty

The practice of repositioning speakers to compare amplifiers is so flawed that I will go as far as to state that repositioning the speakers disqualifies any comparison of the amplifiers. After all it’s simply physics……for the reasons that you stated in your previous post.

Carlos, I think you are making the classic and common mistake of assuming that your subjective view is objective fact. Try to exercise a modicum of introspection, and process that your view that "[t]he practice of repositioning speakers to compare amplifiers is . . . flawed" is your personal, subjective opinion -- not in any way objective fact or a law of nature or of science.

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t find my post here. maybe I never hit the post button. and if your saying nothing was changed that is very kid of you to reply
and I’ll edit my post now
ty

Now I understand, thank you.

Yes, I deleted here your earlier post correctly criticizing the "flamers." As I deleted the "flamer" posts to which you referred because they violated the Terms of Service I also deleted your post criticizing them, as I felt it was then confusing because no one would be able to see the "flamer" posts to which you were referring.

I explained this in the comment section of the notice you should have received notifying you about my deletion of your post.

Carlos, I think you are making the classic and common mistake of assuming that your subjective view is objective fact. Try to exercise a modicum of introspection, and process that your view that "[t]he practice of repositioning speakers to compare amplifiers is . . . flawed" is your personal, subjective opinion -- not in any way objective fact or a law of nature or of science.

Stating that repositioning of speakers to compare amplifiers in a “controlled” setting, where everything else except the amplifiers is the same, is flawed and invalides any results or conclusions, is not an opinion or subjective, it is a fact. This is basic, an objective fact & a law of science.

Stating that repositioning of speakers to compare amplifiers in a “controlled” setting, where everything else except the amplifiers is the same, is flawed and not valid, is not an opinion or subjective, it is a fact. This is basic, an objective fact & a law of science.

I don't think we can make any more analytical progress here. We are going to have to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FDPDK and Al M.
Dear David,

The Terms of Service have not changed. Enforcement has not changed.

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.

10. Posting topics involving politics, religion or firearms are not allowed and will be removed with appropriate warnings issued to the member. Repeated offenses can result in membership ban.

Obnoxious is not cordial; sarcastic is not cordial; snarky is not cordial; swearing is not cordial. Politics is not allowed; veiled or implied political "shots" or innuendo are not allowed. The moderators enforce these rules as best they can.
Dear Ron,
I understand the IYO part but I’m not the only one here who thinks it’s gone too far.

david

there are tons of amps that have no problems with a load, the problem is to find the one that corresponds to your ideal sound with speakers

Dear Ron,
I understand the IYO part but I’m not the only one here who thinks it’s gone too far.

david

I respect your opinion. But WBF simply is not the place for politics or for political innuendo.

Reactions: KeithR and dminches
Stating that repositioning of speakers to compare amplifiers in a “controlled” setting, where everything else except the amplifiers is the same, is flawed and invalides any results or conclusions, is not an opinion or subjective, it is a fact. This is basic, an objective fact & a law of science.
I can see your point, but I'm not clear how it applies to a music system, which operates more like an ecosystem than a controlled setting. From my perspective, for whatever that's worth, I'm not in the business of comparing amplifiers in a controlled setting. My clients hire me to configure and set up their existing audio systems. Sometimes that means coming back to a system I've already set up to integrate a new component into that system. I am not there to compare one component to another, just to integrate their new component(s). That invariably requires some degree of position or attitude change in the loudspeakers. Please do not take my comment as trolling for business. I merely wanted to illustrate my point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu