Alexx V arrive in NJ

there are tons of amps that have no problems with a load, the problem is to find the one that corresponds to your ideal sound with speakers

How does one go about doing that? Trial and error with $200,000.00 amplifiers.

Reactions: MadFloyd
How does one go about doing that? Trial and error with $200,000.00 amplifiers.
Why does an amplifier have to cost $ 200,000? There are used amps under $ 20,000 that are better than some for $ 200,000;)

I can see your point, but I'm not clear how it applies to a music system, which operates more like an ecosystem than a controlled setting. From my perspective, for whatever that's worth, I'm not in the business of comparing amplifiers in a controlled setting. My clients hire me to configure and set up their existing audio systems. Sometimes that means coming back to a system I've already set up to integrate a new component into that system. I am not there to compare one component to another, just to integrate their new component(s). That invariably requires some degree of position or attitude change in the loudspeakers. Please do not take my comment as trolling for business. I merely wanted to illustrate my point.

Your coming at this from a vocational perspective where I approach things from a science, technology and engineering perspective. This is pretty cut and dry, if a customer wants to compare two amplifiers, repositioning the speakers invalidates any comparison.

I know that many acousticians are trained ears and not engineers or physicists but I think that when most of us are evaluating amplifiers it is typically a one-for-one swap, as it should be, and not a system retuning effort; as that invalidates the comparison. Pretty simple and straight forward.

Last edited:
Please re-read my post. I did not write that sarcasm per se violates the Terms of Service.
Well Ron, you'll soon lose all your British contingent, we're innoculated w sarcasm at birth.

Well Ron, you'll soon lose all your British contingent, we're innoculated w sarcasm at birth.
That is fine. Again, sarcasm per se is not a problem.

And, in general, I think I find British sarcasm dryer and more subtle and more clever than American sarcasm.

Reactions: Al M.
Almost any competently designed solid-state amp will have pretty much a ruler-flat frequency response from at least 20Hz to 20kHz - on a test bench, driving a resistive load.

The real world is different and a much more scary place for an amplifier—the impedance of actual loudspeakers changes with changing frequencies, sometimes with astonishing speed and degree. The Alexx V and XVX are particular cases in point, each with very low minimum impedance points.

This means that not only will an amplifier’s output capability vary with frequency, but once you start driving it with a musical signal, its capability in responding to the dynamics of music comes very much into play. That’s a critical part of this, as no two amplifiers will be the same in that regard.

So, in the real world and real systems, two different amplifiers will drive the same speaker very differently, with a different dynamic and bass response.

I think the whole point of Roy Gregory’s post was that while it would be nice if changing an amplifier were a simple thing, it’s just not. In reality, you are changing both the relationship between the amplifier and speaker but also the relationship between the speaker and the room. If a speaker is being driven differently by whatever amplifier, then the speaker will drive differently what it is driving. And that is the room. It’s been my experience that it’s essential to consider speaker placement when you change the amp(s) - or pretty much anything else in the system! That’s just physics...
Thank you. That sounds like a very sensible explanation to me.

Catching up late on this thread... Using the 108 on Alexx V right now, and as long as it's in "low impedance mode", it's absolutely fantastic.
If using the 108 in the standard mode, indeed the 108 would show some frequency response aberrations (ie: sound thin).
Are you using a Model One or Model Two?

Stirlingtrayle , that can be the case when the amp speaker match is already on the thin side anyway , meaning the power is just enough but not much extra .
Of course placing speakers close to a wall / corner will give more bass but the woofer control itself doesnt change that much .
For a 200 K SS amp I would expect woofer control like a whip available for a large variety of LS .
The how much " extra available " is what will give you the feeling of unlimited dynamics / control

Almost any competently designed solid-state amp will have pretty much a ruler-flat frequency response from at least 20Hz to 20kHz - on a test bench, driving a resistive load.

The real world is different and a much more scary place for an amplifier—the impedance of actual loudspeakers changes with changing frequencies, sometimes with astonishing speed and degree. The Alexx V and XVX are particular cases in point, each with very low minimum impedance points.

This means that not only will an amplifier’s output capability vary with frequency, but once you start driving it with a musical signal, its capability in responding to the dynamics of music comes very much into play. That’s a critical part of this, as no two amplifiers will be the same in that regard.

So, in the real world and real systems, two different amplifiers will drive the same speaker very differently, with a different dynamic and bass response.

I think the whole point of Roy Gregory’s post was that while it would be nice if changing an amplifier were a simple thing, it’s just not. In reality, you are changing both the relationship between the amplifier and speaker but also the relationship between the speaker and the room. If a speaker is being driven differently by whatever amplifier, then the speaker will drive differently what it is driving. And that is the room. It’s been my experience that it’s essential to consider speaker placement when you change the amp(s) - or pretty much anything else in the system! That’s just physics...
Gregory’s point was you have to relocate the speakers when switching out amps in order to correctly re evaluate. Hence he was denying you could swap out components to make an evaluation on the latter.

Sorry. Roy. Me thinks you doth protest too much. But hey why stop at amps. What if you swap out cables Is that a problem too. Are you able to make a genuine cable comparison even if it’s NOT another Nordost front cover

It’s bollox.

Reactions: K3RMIT
Your coming at this from a vocational perspective where I approach things from a science, technology and engineering perspective. This is pretty cut and dry, if a customer wants to compare two amplifiers, repositioning the speakers invalidates any comparison.

I know that many acousticians are trained ears and not engineers or physicists but I think that when most of us are evaluating amplifiers it is typically a one-for-one swap, as it should be, and not a system retuning effort; as that invalidates the comparison. Pretty simple and straight forward.
Well, I guess we see things differently. I just never thought that science was that simple. Thanks for the discussion though!

Man your just wrong way wrong too.
if you don’t make adjustments your not making a correct observation. you can do as you wish of course but it’s wrong.
I have tried a few amps in my system they all sound different. but once you Adjust things whats left is the real change taking place.

The admin does seem enamored with posts by reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers while failing to realize that some of the regular posters on here are more accomplished.
Not only more accomplished. Less baggage less BS and certainly less ahem… ‘corruptible’… oh and more actual hands on evaluation / experiences per individual component.

Last post on this a given amp sounds different the why is complex. a given imp load curve can show possibilities
also its class state
how much class a before it leaves to class ab is also a factor. one must adjust for this change

if you don’t make adjustments your not making a correct observation. you can do as you wish of course but it’s wrong.
I have tried a few amps in my system they all sound different. but once you Adjust things whats left is the real change taking place.

Let me make this simple for you: the repositioning of the speakers changes the speakers‘ room AND listener interaction and therefore brings about changes in the sound. Therefore you are not able to discern and asses what changes were brought about by the speaker repositioning and which changes were brought about by the amplifier substitution. Did that sink in?

The admin does seem enamored with posts by reviewers, advertisers and manufacturers while failing to realize that some of the regular posters on here are more accomplished.
I deliberately don’t post my system set up or my perceived affiliations. Best not to get into playing ‘his system is…’ bollox.

I do however speak with some experience in record company ownership record production & mixing management concert promotion etc but also hifi dealership distribution and manufacturer. And no you’ll never find me discussing the latter affiliation(s). It’s not up for discussion, that way you can’t accuse me or get me /mine cancelled. but I know many still do. Yes sometimes I’m ‘controversial’ but that doesn’t make it wrong. And yes I’ve got mouths to feed. Hey ho. As if im bothered..

enjoy the music.

I want to agree with you. I often do. But here. Nope. No can do. Sorry.

Reactions: Daverich4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu