Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

My friend has heard the alsyvox speakers and he wasn’t to impressed. He liked the magnapan 30.7s better.

Can you ask your friend to post his detailed comparative impressions here?

Reactions: Rhapsody
Can you ask your friend to post his detailed comparative impressions here?
He’s not on what’s best forum. He heard them at nirvana audio in Melbourne and I remember him telling me that they don’t sound as good as the Maggie’s. he didn’t think there worth the asking price either.

i don’t remember exactly what he didn’t like about them but he did say they don’t sound relaxed it’s as there throwing the sound at you.

He’s not on what’s best forum. He heard them at nirvana audio in Melbourne and I remember him telling me that they don’t sound as good as the Maggie’s. he didn’t think there worth the asking price either.

Well, without his direct testimony we really cannot conclude anything. Maybe he did not like the associated components he heard with the Alsyvox?

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
Well, without his direct testimony we really cannot conclude anything. Maybe he did not like the associated components he heard with the Alsyvox?
Three friends and I heard them set up properly in a large room with high end associated equipment at the THE SHOW in Long Beach last month. Yes, they sounded fantastic playing a flute, bass and percussion or piano. We threw on Art Pepper + Eleven and the speaker couldn't handle it. It lost it's composure and remained staid and undynamic. That was sufficient to find out that it is a weak speaker but great for intimate music. These were the Botticelli. The 2 way Prana Fidelity Bhana speakers killed them in dynamics with the same recording in an infinitely less expensive system (Townshend Allegro+ pre-amp, PranaFidelity $10K Class D amp and EAR Classic CD player with a Helios analog set-up with the new EAR phono pre-amp). That was best in show, just lacking in bass under 42 Hz. The Botticelli's should be better. Maybe better than Maggies, but not by much.

Interesting. I was super skeptical of the Alsyvox going in. Two reasons: (1) I've never liked planars; and (2) friends whose sonic preferences I know well told me they didn't like them (along with why). So at THE Show, I was surprised how much I liked them. Dynamics were spot on. Now, I did think some modern tracks sounded pretty crappy, but my take was that the Vitus system and the speakers themselves were fairly transparent to the source. I didn't hear the Art Pepper. Was it vinyl or digital? If vinyl, which pressing? I'm not defending these speakers, and I too question the value of a nearly $90k price tag. But I am genuinely curious if the problem was with the speakers or the recording/pressing/mastering. As an aside, I was also pretty impressed with the Vitus CD player. I thought it sounded great with a number of different CDs. I don't know if Art Pepper on CD would be good or not. Lastly, it's been quite a while since I've heard Maggie's. So I'll assume they've come a long way with the 30.7 because in the past, Maggies wouldn't have stood a chance.

Also interesting are the comments about the Prana fidelity room. I've heard the Bhanas many times and am a fan. However I thought they never sounded worse than at THE Show. The Helios and EAR phono frontend just sounded dead to me. I thought the room a few years back with the Kuzma Stabi M and Prana's own solid state phono was miles ahead of this.

Reactions: J117
Interesting. I was super skeptical of the Alsyvox going in. Two reasons: (1) I've never liked planars; and (2) friends whose sonic preferences I know well told me they didn't like them (along with why). So at THE Show, I was surprised how much I liked them. Dynamics were spot on. Now, I did think some modern tracks sounded pretty crappy, but my take was that the Vitus system and the speakers themselves were fairly transparent to the source. I didn't hear the Art Pepper. Was it vinyl or digital? If vinyl, which pressing? I'm not defending these speakers, and I too question the value of a nearly $90k price tag. But I am genuinely curious if the problem was with the speakers or the recording/pressing/mastering. As an aside, I was also pretty impressed with the Vitus CD player. I thought it sounded great with a number of different CDs. I don't know if Art Pepper on CD would be good or not. Lastly, it's been quite a while since I've heard Maggie's. So I'll assume they've come a long way with the 30.7 because in the past, Maggies wouldn't have stood a chance.

Also interesting are the comments about the Prana fidelity room. I've heard the Bhanas many times and am a fan. However I thought they never sounded worse than at THE Show. The Helios and EAR phono frontend just sounded dead to me. I thought the room a few years back with the Kuzma Stabi M and Prana's own solid state phono was miles ahead of this.
But you don’t like planers.

Sound bright on this clip.

Yes, cheap boom box.

Maybe the video wasn't well recorded, but whatever the matter, this does nothing good for promoting the speaker. Better have no video at all.

Why do so many videos suck?

How can anyone make an informed impression of any product in show conditions?

Reactions: ACHiPo
Yes, cheap boom box.

Maybe the video wasn't well recorded, but whatever the matter, this does nothing good for promoting the speaker. Better have no video at all.

Why do so many videos suck?
It was done with a cell phone in an over crowded room with a bright recording. The comment was made that the speakers fall apart other than with a flute or single instrument. I have never heard the Alsyvox fall apart no matter what has been thrown at them in the 20 pairs of Alsyvox that I've heard in all kinds of rooms including shows. That includes heavy music film videos and show tunes that Emile threw at them when he visited my place two years ago.

I am NOT disputing what someone's opinion was at the LA show, that's their opinion and I was not there and when someone has heard a speaker, regardless of the conditions, I respect what they have to say about what they heard. I may agree or disagree, but I respect their opinion.

Al, you are a <4 hour drive. Come down and listen to the Alsyvox even with this recording and tell me it's sounds like a cheap boom box in room.

Btw, Al, to you it's a lousy recording. I grew up loving this song and so did many other people. It sounded just like this in the 1970, when I was 18 and I had and have an emotional connection with the song. I liked what it sounded like then and what it sounds like now. I even like what it sounds like on the video. We are all different. You can call what I like a cheap boom box, I would respectfully not degenerate what another person likes, but we are all different in that respect as well.

Happy 4th of July!

Last edited:
. . .

Al, you are a <4 hour drive. Come down and listen to the Alsyvox even with this recording and tell me it's sounds like a cheap boom box in room.

. . .

This is a great idea! Al, I would love to learn your thoughts on this speaker! Maybe you, Ian and Peter can take a road trip together?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing