Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Rock Mountain will have Boticelli X, an upgraded version of the Boticelli. That's all I know.
Will the X-version finally break the 100k barrier? :rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Rock Mountain will have Boticelli X, an upgraded version of the Boticelli. That's all I know.
Maybe Botticelli X could = a bit more eXpensive eXternal Xover...

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Xover sited seperately has gotta make sense.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It has two external crossovers... One for each I am assuming. Is it adjustable

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Model Description Price
Tintoretto 3 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 1.44m high $69000 per pair

Botticelli 3 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 1.77m high $89000 per pair

Botticelli X 3 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 1.77m high with 2 external passive crossovers $127000 per pair

Caravaggio Single 4 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 2.03m high with 2 external passive crossovers $173000 per pair

Caravaggio Full 5 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 2.03m high 4 panels with 4 external passive crossovers$275000 per pair (4 panels)

Michelangelo 5 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 2.03m high 6 panels with 6 external passive crossovers $367000 per pair (6 panels)

Upgrade* to Botticelli X Additional 2 external passive crossovers $40000 per pair

Upgrade* to Caravaggio Full Additional 2 subwoofer panels and 2 external passive crossovers $102000 per pair

Upgrade* to Michelangelo Additional 2 subwoofer panels and 2 external passive crossovers $95000 per pair

* Upgrades are from Botticelli to Botticelli X, from Caravaggio Single to Caravaggio Full and from Caravaggio Full to Michelangelo.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Botticelli X 3 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 1.77m high with 2 external passive crossovers $127000 per pair
Holy shite, and not just a little over 100k :eek:
38k is a quite a jump for a pair of passive crossovers. :oops:
What is in those Crossovers? Coils made from pure Gold foil? :rolleyes:
That is almost a 45% price hike o_O
Sometimes I really miss a "shake-my-head-emoji" here :p

Reactions: gian60

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Holy shite, and not just a little over 100k :eek:
38k is a quite a jump for a pair of passive crossovers. :oops:
What is in those Crossovers? Coils made from pure Gold foil? :rolleyes:
That is almost a 45% price hike o_O
Sometimes I really miss a "shake-my-head-emoji" here :p

I would assume from your comments that you have seen and heard the Botticelli with and without the external Xovers to make your determination regarding the value of the Xovers? No big deal, just wondering if you have actual experience with the Botticelli?

There are also acrylic Xover versions available for $25K/pair vs. the full milled aluminum body of the $38K/pair Xovers.

I am also sure that it is understood that the $38K/pair includes marketing and distribution costs vs. the actual production costs. As of course this is true with all products.

This is the Xover from the Caravvagio, I don't have the Botticelli pic available, but it is very similar.

Crossover_A5A8995.jpg

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have to say two things in advance:

- I'm a big (and also vocal) fan of the AlsyVoxes for their excellent sonics and their beautiful aesthetics reaching waaaaayyyyy back when the AlsyVoxes where called Leonardo

- I have heard the Botticellis at least 8 times (also starting back when they where Leonardos) but not the X-Version of the Botticellis.

I did listen to the bigger Model Caravoggio as X-Version and even though it was absolutely excellent, I personally could NOT justify the price difference between 275K to the X-less Botticelli for 89k :rolleyes:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

- I'm a big (and also vocal) fan of the AlsyVoxes for their excellent sonics and their beautiful aesthetics reaching waaaaayyyyy back when the AlsyVoxes where called Leonardo

- I have heard the Botticellis at least 8 times (also starting back when they where Leonardos) but not the X-Version of the Botticellis.

I did listen to the bigger Model Caravoggio as X-Version and even though it was absolutely excellent, I personally could NOT justify the price difference between 275K to the X-less Botticelli for 89k :rolleyes:

Thx, I had no idea if you had the actual experience with Alsyvox. I totally understand as the Botticelli give a LOT of what the Carravagio gives. I would estimate that for most, even rooms on the larger size, the Botticelli sans Xover is the sweet spot of the Alsyvox line.

I was asking if you heard the difference with the external Xover or not as I personally have not and was curious on thoughts from someone who has had first-hand experience. I am looking forward to spending time with the Botticelli X at RMAF which is now coming in less than a month.

The Caravaggio is for the customer who has a GIANT size room and wants to pressurize it as well as possible. In a normal or medium size room the benefit of the Caravaggio would definitely not warrant the difference in cost. I AGREE!

What's amazing to me is how well the Tintoretto in my 700 sq/ft room pressurizes the space.

Thx for the insight....appreciate it!

Reactions: christoph and gwalt

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019

This is good to know your opinion and thoughts. I own the Botticelli's and will be attending the Denver RMAF show at the new venue since I am within easy driving distance. It will be interesting to see the new venue with room accommodations for exhibitors.
One of my goals will be to interpret the information provided on the Botticelli's external crossover version and how it can achieve better sonics in my provided space as I have not heard it either. In addition, learning whether I feel it is of cost effective value for me personally. I am very satisfied with my achievement thus far so it would have to approach another level to spend that much additional.
In the end however, the sonic determination will be a tough one to calculate as my version of Botticelli will not be there to compare and the room they are being shown is much larger in width (with quite different electronics) under show conditions but I will learn something regardless. This hobby never ends in the learning curve capabilities that these talented manufacturers bring to the forefront.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think it should be possible to produce a speaker embracing a lot of the design elements of the Boticelli for an awful lot less money. Seriously less.

Let's hope Daniele and interested parties consider it. I just think it would be a very good thing and allow access to a far wider audience.

If the company manages to grow then maybe something more realistically priced will appear. Or maybe a Chinese version will suddenly turn up god forbid!

Reactions: iansr

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, its actually easier to scale up and produce bigger and better stuff.

Less restrictions on design, egineering and materials choices. Knowing also there'll be a market for your pricey final offering.

Scale down to $20-30k? I can't see it happening.

That "new" Apogee, the Aussie one that needs to be multiple amped w digital xover. It's $100k now. And no sign of it.

Tintoretto is probably it for cheaper Alsyvox.

It would be fascinating to compare 5 yr old Leonardo w 2x pricier Boticelli, and see if there is a performance jump.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't agree Marc. You could reduce the price of the Botty type design with some material compromises, change in frame construction and loss of efficiency I reckon.

It won't be as good, but it would still be very, very good if done well.

It's not my decision to make, though.

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
Not disagreeing with anyone on the cost. However, you could argue this with a lot of designs and manufacturers......in fact a big percentage of audio. It has gotten to be extreme in some cases. Some of the manufacturers came with the concept and they made the sales to that market....others not. Same as the car market.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Guys, I'm interested in the 5-8k coloration(s) that planars and ribbons are sometimes known for, as it applies to the 'new' Alsyvox designs. Can anyone recommend any recordings that might reveal this coloration?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There can be a tendency towards hyper detail. What I mean is you sit there literally being bombarded with so much auditory information your brain literally cannot handle it. Information overload. The only thing that will fix this is a crossover mod to recess the treble and upper mid a bit.

So just play something you know to be bright and see how you feel.

The other thing you may feel compared to other loudspeakers is a sense of a metallic colouration.

I am seriously divided on this one. This is because when you actually listen to symbols and the like in the real world then they do sound seriously metallic because they are.

An Apogee ribbon, for instance, seems to render this 'metallicness' more accurately than most other speakers. I heard the same in the Alsyvox. You just have to decide whether it is for you or not.

Some will say it is a metallic colouration. But is it really?

BTW I give the Alsyvox I heard a clean bill of health with respect to treble energy levels. The crossover is well judged. Plus it will allow a small amount of adjustment of +/- 1DB.

I refer to the two panel per channel Caravaggio.

Last edited:

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
I think it should be possible to produce a speaker embracing a lot of the design elements of the Boticelli for an awful lot less money. Seriously less.

Let's hope Daniele and interested parties consider it. I just think it would be a very good thing and allow access to a far wider audience.

If the company manages to grow then maybe something more realistically priced will appear. Or maybe a Chinese version will suddenly turn up god forbid!
I’ve always thought that the pricing of these speakers was based on the, “think of a number and double it” approach. The pricing of those crossover variants just confirms my suspicions.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The AlsyVox/Omega system at RMAF is one of the best systems I've ever experienced.

Some caveats apply as the room isn't ideal (large enough but WAY too live) and I can't play anything and everything I want and am familiar with, but what I heard was excellent to incredible. I went for 15 min and sat in a few different seats, then came back and took the best seat for about 20 minutes and was just blown away.

Will probably be back for more today! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing