Alsyvox Raffaello speakers arrival and unpacking

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
when I move them in and out of my room so visitors can audition my other speakers I put them on sliders then I am on my knees pushing them with my shoulder like a linebacker moving a sled. The Botticelli weigh 255 lbs each, the Raffaellos are 400 lbs each!

Though I don't move speakers in and out that frequently, I know what you mean. I've been position-tuning my M9500s in smaller increments. Their bottoms won't hold sliders. Given the inertia of 300+ lbs spread over 3.6 sq ft, It is not easy moving a speaker that size by 1/2-inch.

Reactions: Bobvin

caesar

May 30, 2010
Amadeus,
congrats!!! do the bigger Alsyvox models present more realism across all music genres / avail more realism from recordings? Or do they just present a bigger wall of sound than their already outstanding smaller models?

Thanks and enjoy in great health

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Amadeus,
congrats!!! do the bigger Alsyvox models present more realism across all music genres / avail more realism from recordings? Or do they just present a bigger wall of sound than their already outstanding smaller models?

Thanks and enjoy in great health
Thanks Ceasar, the Raffaello can set more air in movement, has more powerful Bass and has bigger soundstage so the music automatically is more realistic, has more dynamics and the impact on the listener is bigger....

Last edited:

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Oh, that's a sweet system you have there!

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Dear Lloyd thanks!
Dont own the Robert Koda K160 amps anymore after hearing Pilium amps i have switched to Pilium!
Definitely sensitivity cant be the only reason to own a speaker but if it can match whit powerful amps as whit single ended amps both in a beautiful way who can reject this.....
Hi Amadeus! I don't want to blow up this thread. But can you please briefly outline the differences between Koda K160 and Pilium?

BTW: I know the next smaller Alsyvox and can understand your enthusiasm well. Have fun with these speakers!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Amadeus! I don't want to blow up this thread. But can you please briefly outline the differences between Koda K160 and Pilium?

BTW: I know the next smaller Alsyvox and can understand your enthusiasm well. Have fun with these speakers!
Definitely agree. I have pride of ownership but no ego. Always love to know more and learn.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
A short Video recorded whit my Iphone Cs Port TT, Durand Tosca Arm, Zyx Astro Ex Cartridge, Pilium Amps , Alsyvox Raffaello and full Stealth Audio Cables are singing the Pictures.....

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy, Amadeus!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Amadeus!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hi May
Finally after waiting for almost 4 months, the Alsyvox Raffaello speakers are delivered at Amadeus Audio, for the last 2 years i was lucky owner of the Sonus Faber Fenice speakers that i have listened and used for our Demos, will remember Sonus Faber Fenice as some of the best speakers in the Market.The Sonus Faber Fenice is well packed and will be shipped to the next lucky owner.

The Alsvox is now running for 10 hours, need time to burn inn and in the mean time little by little i am experimenting whit room placement distance to the back wall distance to the side walls toe-in.... Daniel Coen owner chief designer is a real Gentleman and a very knowledgeable speaker designer and engineer he is the creator of this masterwork,he calls me regularly to advise regarding placement. Raffaello s are in my eyes a real piece of art and belongs to the Everest of the modern speaker designing.

One of the most attractive bonuses of the Alsyvox Raffaello speakers is the Sensitivity is 98 Db(!), so beside our mighty Pilium Solid State amps that belongs to the very best of solid state amps, we are proud owner and dealer of the Cs Port 212PAM2 single ended amps that delivers using one STC Nos 212E Tube per channel (to us the very best tube in the single ended world) pure class A 45 Watt after burn inn the Raffaello s we will play and Demo whit Pilium Solid State and Cs Port Single Ended amps best of the Solid state and Single ended world on the very same reference speaker.

First impressions are heart shaking the best mid-highs/treble that i heard so far...

Will post my impressions about sound in the coming week.
Beautiful set up . May I know your room size ?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi May

Beautiful set up . May I know your room size ?
My Studio is 50M2 whit ceiling thats 305 cm high and there is a second connected room (my office) whit 2 big doors when those 2 doors are open all is acoustically one room and its approximately total 77 M2

Reactions: audioblazer

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Having the Raffaello s know for 4 weeks in house i like to say some words about this Masterwork of Daniele Coen.

I've had many world class speakers over the last 20 years: Rockport Hyperion, Rockport Arrakis, Peak Consult Dragon Legend, Sonus Faber The Fenice all of those were great speakers carefully selected by me using my knowledge, experience and ears, I had a lot of fun and wonderful musical moments with them all.

Alsyvox Raffaello is completely in a different class than the aforementioned speakers. The most fundamental difference with these speakers is that you have a completely different listening experience and learn to listen to music in a completely different way. We all know that all high-end makers claim that the product they produce is a reference for "Live Music", but in which "Live Music". No concert hall sounds the same, no saxophonist or virtuoso violinist sounds the same and to make it even more complicated no violinist sounds the same at every concert....
Imitating real "Live Sound" is just an approach, a wish, a reference, a dream. Like a painting, let's say, of a vase of flowers, no matter how perfectly it is painted, it is never the same as the real vase of flowers, nor is it the same as a photograph of this vase of flowers... I often go to a live concert and then come back home and swear it sounds better or much better on my playback and sometimes it's impossible to match the beauty and impact of the concert I heard that night. With Raffaello, the picture of the vase is also not exactly the same as reality, but it is even more beautiful at times, it is so transparent, so dynamically fast that it can cry, scream, be silky smooth and hit very hard.

I was little concerned about the bass performance as I was very spoiled with Sonus Faber Fenice's bass, but nothing to worry about, even the bass performance is world class and that on a Ribbon speaker (!).

To me, the most fundamental shortcoming of most conventional loudspeakers is the tweeter. I dislike most modern tweeters and Berylium tweeters in particular. It's a big hoax that audiophiles have been led to believe that beryllium tweeters are better! Berylium tweeters sound weak, uncolored and bad to my ears, they usually make SSSSSSS sounds, but high frequencies, for example the cymbals on a drum, also make ShShShSh and ChChChCh sounds.... That Rockport speakers have moved to Berylium tweeters, was one of the main reasons I stopped listening and selling Rockport speakers. One of the best modern tweeters I've heard is the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter used on the Rockport Hyperion and Sonus Extrema. If you've ever heard those speaker in a great system, you'll know why the highs were so rich sounding.

Coming back to Raffaello, one of the strongest points of the Raffaello is the beautiful Ribbon Super Tweeter, the highs are very rich and perfectly in harmonic line and the time coincides with the upper mids. The Drummers stick hard or soft where the top or middle of the stick can be heard and felt. On every other record there is a completely different sound environment and atmosphere.The midrange is as good and present as it needs to be. Violin and Trumpet are very natural and rich with the angles of brass and the resonance of the wood perfectly displayed.

Daniele Coen has created a masterpiece and certainly for the price it is reasonable and you might expect this level sure! But without giving names i know some speakers that cost double as Alsyvox Raffaello who cannot light a candle on Raffaello! Well done Daniel, thank for you creating this beauties.......

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats, Amadeus! Sounds phenomenal and look forward to hearing them someday. There are a handful of speakers I have had on my list to hear...Avantgarde Trios with dual bass horns was one of them...done. XVX another...done. Living Voice Vox Olympian another yet to do. Rockport Lyra another yet to do. Destination Audio Malta when it is ready. Perhaps Magico M9. Alsyvox Raffaelo definitely another.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Having the Raffaello s know for 4 weeks in house i like to say some words about this Masterwork of Daniele Coen.

I've had many world class speakers over the last 20 years: Rockport Hyperion, Rockport Arrakis, Peak Consult Dragon Legend, Sonus Faber The Fenice all of those were great speakers carefully selected by me using my knowledge, experience and ears, I had a lot of fun and wonderful musical moments with them all.

Alsyvox Raffaello is completely in a different class than the aforementioned speakers. The most fundamental difference with these speakers is that you have a completely different listening experience and learn to listen to music in a completely different way. We all know that all high-end makers claim that the product they produce is a reference for "Live Music", but in which "Live Music". No concert hall sounds the same, no saxophonist or virtuoso violinist sounds the same and to make it even more complicated no violinist sounds the same at every concert....
Imitating real "Live Sound" is just an approach, a wish, a reference, a dream. Like a painting, let's say, of a vase of flowers, no matter how perfectly it is painted, it is never the same as the real vase of flowers, nor is it the same as a photograph of this vase of flowers... I often go to a live concert and then come back home and swear it sounds better or much better on my playback and sometimes it's impossible to match the beauty and impact of the concert I heard that night. With Raffaello, the picture of the vase is also not exactly the same as reality, but it is even more beautiful at times, it is so transparent, so dynamically fast that it can cry, scream, be silky smooth and hit very hard.

I was little concerned about the bass performance as I was very spoiled with Sonus Faber Fenice's bass, but nothing to worry about, even the bass performance is world class and that on a Ribbon speaker (!).

To me, the most fundamental shortcoming of most conventional loudspeakers is the tweeter. I dislike most modern tweeters and Berylium tweeters in particular. It's a big hoax that audiophiles have been led to believe that beryllium tweeters are better! Berylium tweeters sound weak, uncolored and bad to my ears, they usually make SSSSSSS sounds, but high frequencies, for example the cymbals on a drum, also make ShShShSh and ChChChCh sounds.... That Rockport speakers have moved to Berylium tweeters, was one of the main reasons I stopped listening and selling Rockport speakers. One of the best modern tweeters I've heard is the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter used on the Rockport Hyperion and Sonus Extrema. If you've ever heard those speaker in a great system, you'll know why the highs were so rich sounding.

Coming back to Raffaello, one of the strongest points of the Raffaello is the beautiful Ribbon Super Tweeter, the highs are very rich and perfectly in harmonic line and the time coincides with the upper mids. The Drummers stick hard or soft where the top or middle of the stick can be heard and felt. On every other record there is a completely different sound environment and atmosphere.The midrange is as good and present as it needs to be. Violin and Trumpet are very natural and rich with the angles of brass and the resonance of the wood perfectly displayed.

Daniele Coen has created a masterpiece and certainly for the price it is reasonable and you might expect this level sure! But without giving names i know some speakers that cost double as Alsyvox Raffaello who cannot light a candle on Raffaello! Well done Daniel, thank for you creating this beauties.......

I am very happy for you, Amadeus, that you are so satisfied with the Raffaellos!

I have one question for you: much of what you describe liking about the Raffaellos -- different listening experience than box speakers, open-sounding ribbon tweeter, coherency -- applies to most panel speakers in general. So how much of what you are so excited about the presentation of the Raffaellos over box speakers is due to the natural dipole design of panels in general versus the Raffaellos in particular?

Reactions: amadeus and picears

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I agree, tweeters are the weak point of most modern speakers. Like you, I have a particular dislike for any speaker with a Beryllium tweeter. They all sound excessively bright and "metallic" to me. A big company with engineering resources like Focal surely couldn't have released a monstrosity like that, so I can only conclude that they did it deliberately! Once you hear the sound of a plasma tweeter, nothing else comes close. Well, maybe some AMT's and the occasional silk dome tweeter. And yes, Dynaudio Esotars.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing