Altec 755C: The world’s best high efficiency single driver antique bookshelf speaker?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Just wondering if someone had compared WE 755 with the Line Magnetic or GIP replicas.
Since the prices of original WE 755 skyrocket and matched pairs are literally unobtanium, it should be a good choice to test and compare them.
I have heard all three back to back. The issue with comparing was each was in a different enclosure. Some people criticize the newer reproductions, but I think they sound pretty good, especially if you don't have an original. Overall I like the original better, as it has that tone I enjoy. Next would be the GIP and very close behind the LM. You wouldn't go wrong with either of those if you liked what either had to offer. I could be mistaken, but I think the newer ones went for a "fuller" range and didn't nail the midrange like the older versions.

Beau

Reactions: je2a3 and Walter66

djsina2

May 31, 2019
I don’t see a 755 type driver on the GIP site. Is it still being made?

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
I have heard all three back to back. The issue with comparing was each was in a different enclosure. Some people criticize the newer reproductions, but I think they sound pretty good, especially if you don't have an original. Overall I like the original better, as it has that tone I enjoy. Next would be the GIP and very close behind the LM. You wouldn't go wrong with either of those if you liked what either had to offer. I could be mistaken,
Thanks for your thoughts! I've only heard WE and Altec 755A, C and E.

..but I think the newer ones went for a "fuller" range and didn't nail the midrange like the older versions...

Beau
This is always the problem when extending the frequency extremes, the midrange always suffers. :(

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
"Its bandwidth, narrowed to the essentials compared to "modern" sound transducers, leads to concentration on the essentials when listening. In doing so, the listener does not miss the slightest thing, but rather rapidly falls prey to a degree of sonic magic that must unfortunately be considered extinct, just like the perfect temporal cohesion of this loudspeaker, which degrades the vast majority of current multi-way designs to a sound puzzle with clearly audible interfaces. "
That's my opinion, having some listening experience with WE speakers, too. After hearing them, I've had zero strive towards such modern speaker constructions anymore. They just fail to impress me anymore but on the opposite, scared me with their inability to establish acoustic magic in the experience like the old designs did. Their qualities couldn't be analyzed by measuring them, just by auditioning.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing