The Greatest Hi-Fi Product of All Time

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I believe the Marantz 9 amplifier seen at the back is a stronger candidate than ARC. I still remember how much I excited when I saw the newly made Marantz 9 amps in a hifi shop around 1999. Unfortunately they were beyond my budget.
Saul marantz created beautiful amps without question.
But I think a mcintosh 275 has gained much more world fame.

P.S a mc 30 or 60 sounds better now all can stone me:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Saul marantz created beautiful amps without question.
But I think a mcintosh 275 has gained much more world fame.

P.S a mc 30 or 60 sounds better now all can stone me:)
IMHO no mcintosh sounded better than a Marantz 8B or Dynaco ST-70 from the same era.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Antonio66

May 16, 2023
@godofwealth Any thoughts of getting the Quad Rupert stands, I have mine on 60cm wide x 45cm high wooden stools and there is a nice improvement in sq. Fantastic speakers by the way.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
@godofwealth Any thoughts of getting the Quad Rupert stands, I have mine on 60cm wide x 45cm high wooden stools and there is a nice improvement in sq. Fantastic speakers by the way.
I still have the Quad 57 stands designed by Sheldon Stokes, but they’re lying disassembled in my garage. I prefer to listen to my 57s on the floor, as Peter Walker intended. This is what Sheldon’s stands look like. When I bought my 63s in 1991 or so, I got different stands for them, but invariably the stands made them sound worse.

1685042192772.jpeg

Robert Greene of TAS has written extensively about the issue of putting Quads on stands. There’s a tradeoff. You reduce the initial reflection from the floor, but you get a hole in the lower mid bass that makes them sound leaner. My 57s on the floor sound a little plump and overripe in the bass compared to my Quad 2805 and 2905s, but that’s part of their endearing “pipe and slippers” charm. They sound unusually full and warm at lower volumes compared to later Quads and many audiophile speakers that use rigid cabinets.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Those active Cabasse Albatros take me back several decades.
Listening to these play DSOTM (the album had just come out) was one of my most memorable audio experiences! We also listened to Deep Purple in Rock, child in time, full blast of course. Pre was an SRPP, don't remember which manufacturer. TT was Thorens 124 / SME 3012 / Shure (15 probably). Majestic sound, I still remember being transported.
I heard him again a year ago .Completely refurbished by Cabasse I have to say that it easily competes with new, very expensive speakers. one day he will be with me belongs on bucket list;). majestic sound very good choice of words from you.

Reactions: Gregm

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Here’s a stacked pair of Quad 57s on Mark Levinson stands. Price looks reasonable. Condition is unknown. I’d want to hear this in person. But it will visually dominate a small room.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
For me the greatest was the HK Citation 11A preamp....it was an sonic revelation for me and after hearing it I was all in for a lifetime of audio revelation....

Reactions: Puma Cat

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
IMHO no mcintosh sounded better than a Marantz 8B or Dynaco ST-70 from the same era.
My older brother was studying Electrical Engineering @ Purdue and built me a ST-70 in 1973. Used it to drive a pair of AR 3a’s. Had that amp for a long time through a number of pairs of different speakers.

Reactions: mtemur

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First off, has to be the LP. After all these years, still many people's favorite medium for quality music, despite all the innovation and technology.

Second, then I would have to say:
- IRS V. Some might even say SOTA by today's standards...even if not in all categories, certainly in some. I have heard the later Genesis Ones.
- Apogee [Stages, Full Range, not sure which the experts in Apogees might suggest...interesting to see Clarisys come forward all these years later]
- Audio Note Ongaku perhaps?

Third, then Time will tell:
- Sonus Faber Guarneri original, Extrema original or Electa Amator
- Zanden 2000P/5000S Digital
- Wilson X1/Grand SLAMM

Reactions: amadeus

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Some additional candidates for greatest hifi product of all time. I’m restricting myself to stuff that’s still being made decades later.

1. Klipschorn loudspeaker: now on its 8th decade, the Klipschorn is the longest continually produced loudspeaker on the planet. Even today, the principles that governed its design are so forward looking that they stand out as a monument of brilliant design. These include high efficiency for low distortion; corner placement that allows placing them in smaller rooms; and an elegant finish that unlike most of the hideous monstrosities that pass for loudspeakers these days makes them far more attractive. Paul Klipsch, along with U.K.’s Peter Walker, remains the most creative American genius of loudspeaker design in my book.

2. Denon 103 moving coil cartridge: the Denon is the world’s longest continually produced moving coil cartridge and still revered by many six decades on. At a time when moving coil cartridges are climbing into the mid five figures, the Denon remains a bargain at less than $400. It’s no nonsense design coupled with a response profile that’s far more neutral than many of the obscenely priced cartridges with a rising top end makes the Denon a contender.

3. The Linn Sondek LP-12: Surely the greatest turntable of all time, continually produced now for five decades, the LP-12 remains a testament to simplicity and elegance. At a time when turntables are being produced that weigh in the thousands of pounds and need a forklift to move around, the LP-12 is based on the principle that high mass is not only unnecessary for making a good turntable, but can actually impede the sound. The LP-12 defined PRAT — pace, rhythm and timing — as the fundamental essence of good vinyl sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Your post doesn’t play the link

Reactions: Rensselaer

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Rega Planar 3/RP3/P3...

My first Planar 3 was a revelation for me at the time.
Here's a pic of mine from when I got back into high-end audio for the second time, shown with my SME 3009/III

Would love to get a P10 at some point.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing