Am I just weird?

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
Every time (almost) I look for owners' forums or manufacturer threads I don't see anything I own. My main system consists of:
Primare I32
Oracle Alexandria MK III with a Sumiko Premier MMT arm
Canton Ergo 1002DC speakers
Stax SRX MkIII/SRM-T1S headphone and amp.
I do have an Oppo BDP-105 and can find forums; but mine is modded by EVS, so it gets down to finger-pointing.
All of the above has been bought used

I do have a Nakamichi Receiver 2 (less well known than the inferior RE-2, I fear) and a pair of Boston Acoustics T-830s that I bought new back in the day. Even those are not household names.

So it's been hard to get advice on system synergy as I built my systems. Currently I am looking at upgrades to the Sumiko tone arm. It's complicated because the Alexandria can only handle arms within a certain range of weights. Oracle put out a list years ago; but it doesn't include modern arms like Origin Live, or The Wand. I've been looking at Acos Lustre, Micro Seiki, and SAEC; but I'm not sure any would be an undeniable improvement over the Sumiko. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED. I'm using a Hana SL most of the time, but I like to switch to a Sure V15 V or Dynavector 10x3 or Denon 301 at times. My budget would be under $1,000...the more under the sooner I could act.

Thanks to all,
Jim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes.

Reactions: stereonut8

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hell no.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Every time (almost) I look for owners' forums or manufacturer threads I don't see anything I own. My main system consists of:
Primare I32
Oracle Alexandria MK III with a Sumiko Premier MMT arm
Canton Ergo 1002DC speakers
Stax SRX MkIII/SRM-T1S headphone and amp.

Cool. I used to have a Stax SRM-T1, the precursor of your headphone amp, back in the day. And of course Stax headphones.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi Jim,
as I changed the tonearm on my Oracle to an OL Conqueror, I contacted Oracle and they send me the needed springs for that heavy arm (nearly 2 labs).
When you are sure which arm you will purchase, ask them for advice which springs you will need.
I am sure you will get great support.

BR
Amdreas

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
Hi Jim,
as I changed the tonearm on my Oracle to an OL Conqueror, I contacted Oracle and they send me the needed springs for that heavy arm (nearly 2 labs).
When you are sure which arm you will purchase, ask them for advice which springs you will need.
I am sure you will get great support.

BR
Amdreas
Thanks, Andi. Jacques and Martin are a real pleasure to deal with. The bigger issue is what arms work well with the Alex, are within my budget, and superior to the Sumiko. Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to audition tonearms. There isn't an OL dealer within 1,000 miles of me according to their site. I did look at the Silver on line. How do you like the Conqueror? What did it replace?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing