ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Update is possible only by hooking to iTunes, and then you're prompted to do it if one exists. Sure, they might be able to clandestinely do an update over wifi, but the whole Mac community that monitors things down to the code level would be in an uproar.

I suspect that it's just the unpredictability of wifi. Sometimes my signal is strong, sometimes it isn't, and there's no obvious reason for the change.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
They can do an update over iTunes too - there is no certain way to know that you will always be prompted; it's software- anything is possible.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What the heck...... Didn't use my iPad2. Picked it up today and noticed wireless going much faster with double the signal strength with two bars!!!

Here, none of us believe Ack :). Bizarre.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
What the heck...... Didn't use my iPad2. Picked it up today and noticed wireless going much faster with double the signal strength with two bars!!!

Here, none of us believe Ack :). Bizarre.

The antenna probably broke in over night :D

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Amir, did you by any chance upgrade to the latest iOS 3.5.1? Could it be that some optimization algorithm kicks in?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Maybe it got worried you were never going to use it again. Don't use it for another few days and see if it gets another bar or two... :)

I am curious as to reason why the wireless link would improve. I can think of a few things, but still the most obvious is a SW/FW update that improved the Rx parameters. A less-llikely (to me) scenario is that it gradually trains itself to your network over a (very) long time period. Cars do this, but with good reason; I can't see why a wireless network llink would take days to dial in.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, did you by any chance upgrade to the latest iOS 3.5.1? Could it be that some optimization algorithm kicks in?
When I first got it, iTunes upgraded it. So I doubt that there were any upgrades after that.

Just checked and it still has strong, 2-bar signal. I am sure this is a random thing but interesting co-incident relative to your observation. Maybe our two spaces have some kind of cosmic connection. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing