Amir Gets an iPad2!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, Another nice thing about the ipad2 is that if you don't like it, you can put it on ebay and I'm sure you can sell it fast;);)
Now there is a great thought!!!! :D

So you know I thought of this, I still have not taken the plastic wrap off the thing :D.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Funny, I've had no setup/usage issues whatsoever outside of wifi reception being somewhat weak. And hey, just flicked a movie shot today of my five yo riding on two wheels for the first time from my iPad2 to the big screen/Apple TV via AirPlay. Who else makes everything so easy?

Good thing my latest SSP800 was up and working for that opus :). I claim first, first bike ride played back on a 8' screen/Scaena/ARC/Classe system.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I took my Xoom from the box and powered it on. It asked me to sign in to my Google account. A few seconds later my email, contacts, calendar, ebooks, documents, bookmarks and apps were (largely) synchronized with my three other devices (2 x msoft and one blackberry). Angry Birds looks great.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with the iPad2. :confused:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The latest version of foo_touchremote is also supposed to work with Android - so Amir can ditch the iPad and still use a tablet to control his Foobar if it works on the Xoom. Has anyone tried it?

My media server at home has been giving me the blue screen of death the past few days, so I've been without music and movies.......

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Indeed, I find the system without much depth in that I have already gone through everything in the machine and nothing more is left to discover. Same is not true of Android and Windows. They always have little things you didn't notice at first blush which can be good or bad.

Not entirely what you're referring to, but I find some of the relative lack of choices/customizability from Apple vs Android generally a positive. Simplifies things with little loss from my perspective -- kind of like how unnecessary I feel having a choice of 30 dish soaps at the supermarket is.

The complexity is in the apps, where it should be.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, some progress. Go to download Bonjour. Can't find anything but Bonjour for Printing. I am not trying to print. But OK, maybe Apple thinks that is the only reason a Windows user would want to use that protocol. I download it and boom, iPad sees iTunes and is controlling it. Strange thing is, it never asked me for the 4 digit code! Hmmm.

Pop up Foobar2000. This thing is the opposite of anything Apple and bugs that make it crash. But in this instance, it nicely told me what to do with iPad, and then waited for the 4 digits. Put those in there and bam, I am controlling foobar!! Yippee....

I play something and decided to reboot the machine. To my surprise, Remote on iPad happily moved along with its play counter as if nothing had happened. I am starring at Bios start-up messages and this still says I am playing music! OK, eventually it gives up.

Problem #2: with foobar, I only have two album covers. I have been sitting here and no more is downloading. No button to tell it to go and get it. No status of anything being fetched. To get to setup you have to have intuition to know to hit the icon next to foobar2000 currently in use. I found that by literally clicking everywhere on the program and using every gesture known to man, including some we should not say on a public forum :).

Really, I feel like Apple has brought sign language to computers. There appears to be disdain for words, or anything an English reading person could chase. You have to think of what the sign language would be that Apple would invent for the task and then, only then, you may find what you want!

Still, I am so happy. I have a smart music remote now. I even showed it to my wife: "look honey, now you can play music from iPad." She asks,"will it work at our other house or does it need all the boxes you have here?" I say, "yes, it will work there too because we have a PC there." She nods OK and walks off! What makes a techie excited is not the same as what makes your wife excited!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Really, I feel like Apple has brought sign language to computers.

Amir, I love you man ,but what a misguided comment :confused:

I just don't understand why none of us Mac users have had any such problems. You need to start thinking outside of the box :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, I love you man ,but what a misguided comment :confused:
Steve, you would appreciate that if you have lived through what I am living through with this device. See below.

I just don't understand why none of us Mac users have had any such problems. You need to start thinking outside of the box :)
Actually, I am having these problems because I am not just doing a couple of simple things with the box. If I all want to do is start a game, or pop up the browser, that would be simple. Try to do a few more things though and the creases show.

What about this is familiar to Mac users anyway? Do you use the Mac with pure gestures? I open an app, it takes over the whole screen. There is no task bar like we have with our desktops to navigate elsewhere. I get stuck in these apps not knowing how to get back to where I was. With Android, the Back button always gets you to step before. It is a hard button and is always there. It encourages exploration because you can always go back -- kind of an undo for navigation.

With iPad, I have to keep guessing what would get me out of where I am. It feels like I keep getting thrown in jail. Here is an example: I start Remote App. I select to control Foobar and not iTunes. I am now in Foobar interface within Remote app. How do I go back and select iTunes now? There is zero indication of that. Why? Did Apple eliminate the back button from the browser on the Mac too? If not, why here? Give me the soft version of the button if you don't want to give me the hard button.

Note that I am not trying to a pain. I am just relaying my experience as I go along, all with a clear purpose in mind to get something done. Not trying to find faults for the sake of finding faults. You would not want to see me if I am in a mood just to take things apart :).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Amir, I think I know what this calls for.... a trip to your local Apple store and a conversation at the Genius Bar.:D:D
I'm pretty sure that the 18 year old there will set you straight on any question you happen to think of ( and a couple you may not)...:cool::cool:

BTW, Have to agree with Steve's comment!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Amir, don't know the details of Foobar within Remote, but try double-clicking the home button. This will bring up a toolbar of recently used apps. Navigating within apps is more case by case.

Really, I feel like Apple has brought sign language to computers. There appears to be disdain for words, or anything an English reading person could chase. You have to think of what the sign language would be that Apple would invent for the task and then, only then, you may find what you want!

This is exactly how I feel anytime I have to use Windows! Have/had some Windows-only programs, usually for programming processors, remotes, etc. Often get problem messages about coms ports (why not just say USB or whatever?), looking for drivers, Windows will search for driver and download (never works), etc. Most are cryptic, and I virtually never run into this stuff on a Mac. Drives me crazy and I dread every time I have to use one of the programs.

BTW, I replaced my mouse with a trackpad for my desktop last year which mimics the gestures used on MacBook trackpads. Solely use gestures now to navigate around, copy/paste, etc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing