Amir Gets an iPad2!!!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
3. The out of box experience was odd. I plugged in the UBS cable and it just told me to get iTunes. I am not used to buying hardware that is dead without its companion software. Maybe there was a way around it but couldn't find it. Went and downloaded iTunes which did wake it up and got it working.

Don't need iTunes, but you need something; take a look at Xilisoft's application which also supports video conversion for the ipad that iTunes lacks; but unlike other less expensive video conversion tools, it doesn't stitch files together; for that, I suggest either iFunia or aiseesoft's products (have the former) - interestingly, they are pretty much the same app, but iFunia supports much higher bit rates while aiseesoft's now supports Nvidia Cuda cores (and ATI's streaming thing) for faster conversion (actually works); in a month or so, iFunia will catch up.

11. I know this is like the notion of God and Christ to a Christian but what is with this single button UI? I am so used to have 4 buttons on my Android phone. There are times when an app is up, like the above Crestron in demo mode, with no obvious way on how to go back. Or pop up any menus. I use the single button and that takes me to the desktop. Hitting Crestron app take me back where I was, the with thing still stuck in demo mode. What to do now? Reboot?

You can double-click the button and you switch; RTFM my friend...

Agree with all other issues you mentioned... And here's another - plug it into your computer and it'll say "Not charging" next to the battery icon (requires 2.1 amps apparently); well, it does charge on my mine.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can double-click the button and you switch; RTFM my friend...
That is not the same thing as Back. Android also has what you describe by holding the home key so I am familiar with what it does.

With Android, if I am in email, hit a link, I am taken to the browser. Hitting the back button, will take me back to the middle of my email before I hit the link. I don't have to remember where I was as I do with double-click of iPad home button (or holding down the button on Android). Again, think of the back button on your browser. You don't to remember where you were. You just hit back and you are in the previous web page. Android does the same thing when navigating between apps.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That is not the same thing as Back. Android also has what you describe by holding the home key so I am familiar with what it does.

With Android, if I am in email, hit a link, I am taken to the browser. Hitting the back button, will take me back to the middle of my email before I hit the link. I don't have to remember where I was as I do with double-click of iPad home button (or holding down the button on Android). Again, think of the back button on your browser. You don't to remember where you were. You just hit back and you are in the previous web page. Android does the same thing when navigating between apps.

Yes that would admittedly be more user friendly. Another cow I have with Safari is why only up to 9 web pages open at any point in time... don't get that one... And finally, how the heck do I create meaningful directory structures for my photos and videos - haven't been able to solve that...

BTW, iTunes is required I think for at least OS upgrades.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Makes sense, saves a click or two (depending on how you count) and a few neurons for other uses.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cool. Thanks Ben. Downloaded it. It is iPhone app so lower resolution but works. Wish it had higher resolution RTA but the 1/3 octave is typical of free apps.

Like the calculators in there. Nice to have just the right ones with you.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, had the first enjoyable moment on the iPad :). Downloaded my favorite app on Android, USA Today. It is great on my phone but viewing it on tablet really takes it to the next level. Having articles full page and flicking them left and right is quite natural and workable. My left hand got a bit tired holding the iPad but otherwise, excellent.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
BTW, had the first enjoyable moment on the iPad :). Downloaded my favorite app on Android, USA Today. It is great on my phone but viewing it on tablet really takes it to the next level. Having articles full page and flicking them left and right is quite natural and workable. My left hand got a bit tired holding the iPad but otherwise, excellent.

Even a bad date can have its moments :)

Seriously though, I may prefer information type apps like USA Today and CNN -- stuff that doesnt require typing -- on a tablet vs a computer. As Amirm notes, the touch interface is a natural for these kind of applications.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Even a bad date can have its moments :)

Seriously though, I may prefer information type apps like USA Today and CNN -- stuff that doesnt require typing -- on a tablet vs a computer. As Amirm notes, the touch interface is a natural for these kind of applications.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@Amir

You complained about the wireless... my iPad's wireless performance has improved significantly at home and in the office... seriously. Let me know if you observe the same thing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Why would it be different than yesterday? I upgraded the iPad2 when I got it last week. Is there a newer release?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Break-in???

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Break-in???

*phew* I resisted posting that several times because I was worried that you might have taken that as an insult.

Although..... if you changed wireless channels from one that's interfering with a neighbour/other wireless device to one that's clean, you could get improved reception.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Opinion!

Ten years ago people were travelling by buses, trains, automobiles and jetplanes; they were talking to each other then.

Now, they all play with their laptops, iPods, iPhones, iPads, MP3 players, and anything else that have a screen or headphone!

Perhaps cool for their own personal satisfaction on several levels, but socially (real life), we're losing ground!

Me, I always talk to people that are not playing with their toys. I never carry those, except for my cell (occasionally) when truly needed, and only for few seconds while alone. I will never lose the real life social aspect of society; that's what truly feeds me and makes me more human!

This is my choice as I love to share with people, laugh with them, and listen to what they have to say from their heart and mind!
I got way more satisfaction in life from this than the technological toys!

Tell me any differently and you are due for a shock wave directly coming from the Great White North! :D

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
*phew* I resisted posting that several times because I was worried that you might have taken that as an insult.

Although..... if you changed wireless channels from one that's interfering with a neighbour/other wireless device to one that's clean, you could get improved reception.

nothing has changed, reconfigured or anything else - my wireless and my neighbors' has been the same for years (wrt neighbors: what I mean is with respect to what networks are available/visible and their strength on my laptop). same @work. The device now simply works in places where it didn't before, and it's consistent at both locations - too much of a coincidence to me. It took my iPad 2 about 2 weeks for its wireless to "improve", and I can't say I was monitoring it all along - I just noticed it one day

You don't have to believe it, neither quite do I frankly. But facts are facts.

Last edited:

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Ten years ago people were travelling by buses, trains, automobiles and jetplanes; they were talking to each other then.

Now, they all play with their laptops, iPods, iPhones, iPads, MP3 players, and anything else that have a screen or headphone!

Perhaps cool for their own personal satisfaction on several levels, but socially (real life), we're losing ground!

Me, I always talk to people that are not playing with their toys. I never carry those, except for my cell (occasionally) when truly needed, and only for few seconds while alone. I will never lose the real life social aspect of society; that's what truly feeds me and makes me more human!

This is my choice as I love to share with people, laugh with them, and listen to what they have to say from their heart and mind!
I got way more satisfaction in life from this than the technological toys!

Tell me any differently and you are due for a shock wave directly coming from the Great White North! :D

Bob, Have you tried Facebook?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
nothing has changed, reconfigured or anything else - my wireless and my neighbors' has been the same for years (wrt neighbors: what I mean is with respect to what networks are available/visible and their strength on my laptop). same @work. The device now simply works in places where it didn't before, and it's consistent at both locations - too much of a coincidence to me. It took my iPad 2 about 2 weeks for its wireless to "improve", and I can't say I was monitoring it all along - I just noticed it one day

You don't have to believe it, neither quite do I frankly. But facts are facts.

I didn't not believe you, and my first thought as an audiophile was break-in. But the computer scientist in my resists that notion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing