Amir's CES 2012 Picture Thread

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Believe it or not, I had something to do with that! My group acquired Pacific Microsonics while I was at Microsoft. So we carried on manufacturing for a few months until we found Euphonix to take over. I had to buy something like $350,000 in parts because they were going to be discontinued and I didn't want the product to stop (Model 2 had recently come out then). We then had to literally pay Euphonix to take over in the form of giving them all of our parts inventory and such.

So what did Euphonix do? Make more new units or just keep supplies to service older ones?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Convergent Audio Technology driving the MBL speakers. Is this the room everyone thought was the best?

And that is the last one! Man, I would never make it as a professional blogger! This is way too much work :).

amirm,

first I want to say thanks for providing the pics. Allot of great gear and there seems to be new designs also which is always great to see because it pushes designs, gets others thinking.

I really liked seeing this pic, finally MBL speakers paired up with tube amps. I actually use to own a pair of CAT JL3 Sig MK2's "these are Ken's Statement" a few years ago and had them paired up with my own MBL's. I know of a few individuals who attended the show and stopped by this room for a listen, mixed reviews as the norm.

Personally I have moved on from owning the CAT's and still have the same speakers which I really enjoy but paired up with VAC's Statement 450 mono blocks and with Vac Sig pre and this is absolutely a match made in heaven, has finally gotten me off the merry-go -round. I have owned and tried endless amps, 9011, Boulder 2050's, Karan 1200's, Bryston 28 Squared to just name a few. In my opinion non come close paired up with these speakers, the VAC's are in a whole other world.

Cost of admin is far from being cheap, both listing @ $80K

See below a couple of pics.

I just removed the pics, they were way too large and looked grainy which they shouldn't. I seem to be having problems with this site posting such but not on others, is there a trick to it.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Pass amp meters

Let me share a funny story about the beautiful meters in the Pass amps (the XA200.5 in my case). Firstly, on loud, really loud orchestral passages, you'll seem them fluctuate a bit around the 12 o'clock position. Secondly, the resting position seems to vary a little bit in relation to local power conditions.

Now, the story.

The other day, one of the meters was way down, perhaps around 10:30, and this was more than a bit disconcerting. However, the amp sounded perfectly normal. Nelson immediately replied and said, basically, take the temperature of each amp, and if they're the same, there's nothing to worry about, meaning that the bias hadn't gotten out of control, etc. Of course my concern was that something internal had gone awry.

Upon close inspection, it turned out that a small spider had taken up residence inside the meter, and perhaps was swinging the needle back and for to keep time to the music. Pass' support people said that this wasn't the first time bugs had somehow invaded the amp and set up home. After all, it's warm and toasty inside, and probably free from most predators...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Like ants in laptops :) Ahhh, the price we pay for living on tropical islands ey Nicholas? :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Amir for the pictures. Lets those of us who can't spend the time to walk around to at least experience CES vicariously.

You asked about what that pointy thing does for tweeters - it's a wave guide for a ring radiator - tells the soundwaves where to go :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As a self confessed ribbon tweeter lover, them pointy 2904s are still my favorite silkies. I really like their dispersion. Gives me lots of set up range from straight ahead to aggressive toe-in. I still got mine with ribbons though. Best of both worlds scenario for me. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So what did Euphonix do? Make more new units or just keep supplies to service older ones?
No, they built more of them. As I said, production had just started when we bought them so I suspect fair number shipped under Euphonix.

But here is the thing. The product was a nightmare to manufacture. It had a bunch of parts that needed hand tuning. And then they would listen and mess with it some more. I think it took two weeks after assembly before they would get a unit out! Keith Johnson and crew had to approve the sound before they went out. For this reason, I was fearful that no one would be able to replicate and hence manufacture the unit. Truth to be told, I don't know how well Euphonix managed this. My guess is that they cut way back on this tuning.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
amirm,

first I want to say thanks for providing the pics. Allot of great gear and there seems to be new designs also which is always great to see because it pushes designs, gets others thinking.

I really liked seeing this pic, finally MBL speakers paired up with tube amps. I actually use to own a pair of CAT JL3 Sig MK2's "these are Ken's Statement" a few years ago and had them paired up with my own MBL's. I know of a few individuals who attended the show and stopped by this room for a listen, mixed reviews as the norm.

Personally I have moved on from owning the CAT's and still have the same speakers which I really enjoy but paired up with VAC's Statement 450 mono blocks and with Vac Sig pre and this is absolutely a match made in heaven, has finally gotten me off the merry-go -round. I have owned and tried endless amps, 9011, Boulder 2050's, Karan 1200's, Bryston 28 Squared to just name a few. In my opinion non come close paired up with these speakers, the VAC's are in a whole other world.

Cost of admin is far from being cheap, both listing @ $80K

See below a couple of pics.

I just removed the pics, they were way too large and looked grainy which they shouldn't. I seem to be having problems with this site posting such but not on others, is there a trick to it.

I thought the room was fantastic. I love MBL and CAT but have never heard them together. It was very enjoyable. I hosted Ken one evening 2 years ago at my home when he had his last Statement pieces. A very nice man

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought the room was fantastic. I love MBL and CAT but have never heard them together. It was very enjoyable. I hosted Ken one evening 2 years ago at my home when he had his last Statement pieces. A very nice man

Years ago, Michael Gindi ran his 101As with the original CAT amps. Best combo I heard at his place but he liked the Jadis 500s better. That's also where Ken first heard his amps with the MBLs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Like ants in laptops :) Ahhh, the price we pay for living on tropical islands ey Nicholas? :)

Probably Pass amplifiers are designed in a cold part or the USA, Otherwise they would have already discovered that lighted VUs and meters have to be sealed and light proof to the back. If light goes inside the device they attract all kinds of small insects and most probably the spiders that feed upon them!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As a self confessed ribbon tweeter lover, them pointy 2904s are still my favorite silkies. I really like their dispersion. Gives me lots of set up range from straight ahead to aggressive toe-in. I still got mine with ribbons though. Best of both worlds scenario for me. :)

Yeah. That ScanSpeak Revelator is one of the very best tweeters in the world. Like you, I still prefer ribbons :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree on the revelator (2904 ), but its now available in " illuminator " version the 3004 , which i will use in my next " ultrastiff" model .
Ive been listening to the thiel d 20 diamond for the last 2,5 years , also nice but expensive .

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Loved the 560 Levinson DAC !!!, but also curious about the new DAC that DocB is working on!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Probably Pass amplifiers are designed in a cold part or the USA, Otherwise they would have already discovered that lighted VUs and meters have to be sealed and light proof to the back. If light goes inside the device they attract all kinds of small insects and most probably the spiders that feed upon them!

At that price, they could at least equip the light meters with bug zappers as well. That would improve the light show, but probably wouldn't smell too good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing