Amp Stand for Heavy Amp on Wood Floor?

If you get a chance, get a pair of steel or aluminum panels built that have the same length and width as your maple platforms. The panels should be 1/2" or so to be effective. Bolt them tightly to the bottom of the maple platforms. The two dissimilar materials will rob energy from each other; the result will be considerably more dead, allowing you to play higher volumes without stress.
That might even make the pieces a little more flat. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
IMG_3186.jpegI ran these on century old wood oak floors for years, now they are on cement floors and work equally fine. With some modified footer swaps to the floor. I’ve always wondered about fancy so-called engineered CNC’d multilayered etc platforms. We’ve experimented for what it is worth with many of the presumed audiophile configurations and materials over the decades and come back to this as it simply works. Completely understanding that the aesthetic presentation often carries nearly as much weight as the sonic benefits for some but, I simply can’t fund that and would not know where to begin. I do often like the sound of laminated wood under components with little exception. These happen to be laminated bamboo repurposed cutting boards with some ISO footers and 18x24x3 granite slabs repurposed from machine tooling surface check plates. I find starting with a rock, solid footing at about 72 kg a piece (pun intended) and then floating a platform that will absorb vibration from the component without making it sound dead or hooded and isolating it from the rest of the room proves appropriate. The combination of dissimilar materials seems to do a good job of mitigating acoustic feedback from the floor (evaluated with a stethoscope) and listening to acoustic performances. I would contend that they are engineered to my ears!

Reactions: StreamFidelity
Here’s my fave.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpeg
    IMG_2169.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 22
With any amp that makes heat, especially tube amps, you want about 1 foot above the amp. Otherwise consider using a fan to move heat away from the amp.
On a cold day I put both feet above the amp.
One might look a bit funny with monoblocks a ways npart and the feet up and out, but it would be a good core workout I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: Atmasphere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu