Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you tried hockey pucks?

Reactions: jeff1225 and shakti

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Thank you for this link!

I would never have the patience to buy sets in all three metals to compare them myself. Which metal do you recommend?

I ordered one big titanium one to play with it.

I think the spikes on the bottom of the VTL Siegfried IIs will fit right into the indentation in these.
Certainly the titanium for the very small increase in cost over the other two.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I use SRA Virginia Class Reference amp stands with my Lamm monoblocks. In my room they sit on carpet. The piece of the robust footer that goes against the floor is a pointy bolt. SRA includes small metal pucks with a cone shaped indent for using on hard surfaces. If I had hardwood floors it would be simple to stick a thick felt pad (such as you'd use on table leges) on the underside of each puck.

VA Class Footer.jpg

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
OK here's a simple one maybe... Recently acquired Boulder amps and Clearaudio cartridge working wonderfully but problem is how to stop floor vibrations getting to turntable ( Linn) and causing arm to skip as I approach or move away from it. Once I'm clear of the rack/ttable all is well. Floor is generally very solid but has some spring. Linn is mounted on Apollo glass and steel rack also carrying Boulder pre-amp and Marantz SA10, so well weighted down! Glass shelves are about 1cm/half inch thick and fairly wide at about 36" x 18". I am sure less wide shelves or separate support would help but I have tried every which way to attach a Target t'table platform to our cavity wall and the most lauded devices simply won't hold it.
I have a spare glass shelf (size as above) and wonder whether to try to mount it on the top current shelf in some way to add rigidity.
Sorry if this sounds naive but I don't want to spend 10000s on what is a fairly minor but irritating problem. Grateful for any suggestions! What you guys know about suspension issues is frightening so please be gentle...

Many thanks.

JeffL

Nov 20, 2020
Kent, UK
Apologies if I put my "reply" in the wrong forum location. Happy to change if required. Still finding my way round the site!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, JeffL!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
If you have a big, heavy amplifier with a wood floor underneath what do you use for an amp stand?

I know Adona makes the Zero GX1 Reference, and Symposium Acoustics makes a flat, multi-layered platform. These seem reasonably priced.

Of course CMS and HRS make their very expensive amp stands.

I know MikeL places his big darTZeels on Taiko Tana/Herzan platforms.

Do any of you keep your amp stands on casters or rubber wheels?

Unlike many, I think Sorbothane is very useful in such an application. Does anyone make an amp stand the heart of which is a thick and broad layer of Sorbothane between two plates of some kind?

What amp stand do you use?
I have my 90 lb. Pathos TT on a homemade floor stand made up of the following:

-1/2" thick Corian board with heavy duty felt slider feet to make it easy to move on the wooden floor
-Herbie's Audio Lab and sorbothane discs between the Corian and a 3/4" thick wood board
-Marigo Mystery Feet between the amp and the wood board.

The homemade platform provides isolation (Corian does not transmit resonance) and the Marigo footers drain/tune resonance from the amp. thumbnail_IMG_0274.jpg

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I had Räke shock absorber feet under two Krell KSA 100. They were not silikon, but some highly damping rubber mixture. You could drop anything on them, it wouldn’t bounce, just drop off. They were ok these days of yore.
I used them more to get more air through the Krell ventilators.
I used them with later amps, too.
Ok, not much more.

On wooden floors I used several stillpoints thingies, later their amp stands, with two Rowland model 8.
I still use them on another wooden floor, with even more stillpoints thingies screwed onto the stillpoints amp stands.
Pretty good, imo. Otoh, I don’t have a comparison with other worthy alternatives.
Their ss ultras work pretty good with a lot of components on wooden shelves or Ikea aptitligs.

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
Massif amp stands have no weight limit as they feature deep dado joins on the legs. Mpingo legs as well.
www.massifaudiodesign.com

Attachments

• 9DBDDF3A-FB94-4586-BC5E-F60FFBFFD092.jpeg
    9DBDDF3A-FB94-4586-BC5E-F60FFBFFD092.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 28245FDA-BD93-4201-B421-7F3E46E89FE8.jpeg
    28245FDA-BD93-4201-B421-7F3E46E89FE8.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Agent86

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Massif amp stands have no weight limit as they feature deep dado joins on the legs. Mpingo legs as well.
+1 on Massif amp stands. Any size and wood you want. My Pass Int-60 sits atop a beautiful mpingo and walnut stand.

1656722860844.png

Last edited:
Reactions: T Boost

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
@shakti
Hockey pucks? Never tried them, but I think I should.
Any puck I think or what brand to look for?
Sonic effects? Please describe.

Cheers, Ulrich

StickMan451new

Apr 24, 2022
I just purchase a pair of VAC 450IQ’s tube mono blocks; 208lbs of iron, steel, and tubes…. Any recommendations on amplifier stands for these monsters?

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
I just purchase a pair of VAC 450IQ’s tube mono blocks; 208lbs of iron, steel, and tubes…. Any recommendations on amplifier stands for these monsters?

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
We make pretty tough amp stand made of both domestic and exotic hardwoods. We’re dealers of Sound Care spikes as well as Nordost. Both work well with out amp stands and racks.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
You have to address two issues in order to get the best out of these monoblocks - isolation (decoupling the amp from the floor), and draining and/or tuning the amps' internal resonances. Some (typically very expensive) amp stands (e.g., SRA) do both - most don't, at least not adequately. The alternative to a "do it all" amp stand is a basic isolating amp stand with resonance draining/tuning feet between it and the amp (see 1/5/21 post #28 above). Note that at the very high end the Audio Exotics crowd are doing something similar by combining the Arya Revopods (directly under components and speakers) with the Wellfloat isolation devices:

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
If you have a big, heavy amplifier with a wood floor underneath what do you use for an amp stand?

I know Adona makes the Zero GX1 Reference, and Symposium Acoustics makes a flat, multi-layered platform. These seem reasonably priced.

Of course CMS and HRS make their very expensive amp stands.

I know MikeL places his big darTZeels on Taiko Tana/Herzan platforms.

Do any of you keep your amp stands on casters or rubber wheels?

Unlike many, I think Sorbothane is very useful in such an application. Does anyone make an amp stand the heart of which is a thick and broad layer of Sorbothane between two plates of some kind?

What amp stand do you use?
Hi Ron,
Just picking up on that last paragraph, I completely agree with you that Sorbothane is a very good material, but I would quality that by also adding, only when used in combination with other materials in order to tune its very high vibration transmission impedance. Putting Sorbothane between a component and a support structure essentially blocks the transmission of vibration in both directions, without doing anything to help drain then convert the component’s innate vibration coming from things like rectifiers and transformers. However when Sorbothane is combined with other materials and bonding strategies, it becomes a super useful viscoelastic polymer layer with high damping and very low frequency resonance capabilities. When used in a structured, engineered way, sorbothane is a remarkable material with both solid and liquid characteristics, which can be applied to create highly beneficial characteristics of the final stand.

I found the attached a useful read to put Sorbothane in some perspective.
I just through of a good way to express my agreement…..I agree that Sorbothane is a very good material when used correctly.
Just adding Sorbothane to a given combination of components guarantees change to the sound but not necessarily improvement. But Sorbothane used in the right form and with the correct materials definitely brings changes that are improvements.

Last edited:

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
I currently use the Artesania Exoteryc Aire Platform. It is solid and will support up to 440 pounds. The stands are spiked but the spikes fit into decouplers that will not damage your hardwood floors. I am very happy with them.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi Ron,
Just picking up on that last paragraph, I completely agree with you that Sorbothane is a very good material, but I would quality that by also adding, only when used in combination with other materials in order to tune its very high vibration transmission impedance. Putting Sorbothane between a component and a support structure essentially blocks the transmission of vibration in both directions, without doing anything to help drain then convert the component’s innate vibration coming from things like rectifiers and transformers. However when Sorbothane is combined with other materials and bonding strategies, it becomes a super useful viscoelastic polymer layer with high damping and very low frequency resonance capabilities. When used in a structured, engineered way, sorbothane is a remarkable material with both solid and liquid characteristics, which can be applied to create highly beneficial characteristics of the final stand.

I found the attached a useful read to put Sorbothane in some perspective.
I just through of a good way to express my agreement…..I agree that Sorbothane is a very good material when used correctly.
Just adding Sorbothane to a given combination of components guarantees change to the sound but not necessarily improvement. But Sorbothane used in the right form and with the correct materials definitely brings changes that are improvements.

@Blackmorec could you tell us how to use Sorbothane in a structured, engineered way so as to maximize its benefit in audio applications? I've not yet experienced Sorbothane as beneficial to audio reproduction. Neither in combination with other materials via constrained layer damping of my own doing nor in any (patented) commercial footer or stand products, preloaded or otherwise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing