Ampex electronics for the best possible sound

Hi Roger:

I didn't see you had the question. The differences are rather significant if your goal is to reproduce the original tape as closely as possible to the way it was recorded. You will have wrong frequency responses playing back in the different EQ than the way it was recorded. Considering all of your machines will play NAB, you should stick with it.

Thanks Ki , will do.

One of the best interviews ever done with Rudy Van Gelder is on Jazz Wax Blog. The images, words & thought process that went into the recording make for exceptional reading. I love the images of the Ampex 300 recorders & Scully cutting lathe.My most treasured cd's are by Rudy on the Prestige label.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/02/interview-rudy-van-gelder-part-1.html

Rudyandthe300recorders.jpg

Rudy at Edgewood Cliffs NJ with his pair of Ampex 300 full track recorders

underheads.jpg

The great Bill Evans @RVG Studio

Notice the laminated wood beam cathedral ceiling and the stone bricks mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
I'm going to pickup a Ampex MR70 1/2 inch 4 track Saturday. I will post some photos next week. Btw it runs too!:)

KGrHqNHJEoE-li44ZDmBPrp0-mbsw60_58_zps3d7c1bc3.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up my MR70 and also purchased 2 other MR70's and a shopping cart full of parts. I am severely troubled I believe and need some serious help.:D:D;)

Hey, Hi Roger! :b ...And don't count on me; I'm inside my igloo here up North. :D

Hey Bob,the high desert isn't much better and can get hot as hell too.:)

I found out that this 1/2 inch and the 1/4 inch that I snagged belonged to Dan Healy of the Grateful Dead fame. I guess Dan used these MR70's and also a 1 inch 4 track to record the band back in the early days. Just some history on these machines.

Picked up my MR70 and also purchased 2 other MR70's and a shopping cart full of parts. I am severely troubled I believe and need some serious help.:D:D;)

Well don't go to Ki's therapist! :)

Hey Bob,the high desert isn't much better and can get hot as hell too.:)

I found out that this 1/2 inch and the 1/4 inch that I snagged belonged to Dan Healy of the Grateful Dead fame. I guess Dan used these MR70's and also a 1 inch 4 track to record the band back in the early days. Just some history on these machines.

Very cool! Little history with every machine.

Very cool! Little history with every machine.

Hi Myles, very true and it is neet to actually find out what the history actually is. This 1/2 inch machine was originally a 3 track machine and Dan converted it to a 4 track. Some time later 8 and 16 track machines were being sold so these 2,3,and 4 track machines became obsolete. I really don't have a need for the 4 track,but these were reasonable in price,so I couldn't refuse. I plan to have one of my 1/4 inch decks setup for NAB tapes and the other CCIR,kinda of over the top but the 1/4 inch machine is like new and I doubt Dan used it very much in the studio. All in all the RE(seller had 3 MR70's and 2 transports and parts),so he wanted me to take everything. I said make me a deal and he did.

http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalace.../commercial-recorders-149-natoma-between.html

http://ifthesehallscouldtalk.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/coast-recorders-v1/

If I had to guess these machines,might have come from Coast Recorders

Last edited:
I picked up a like new 1/4 inch headstack and installed it on my first MR70. What wonderful sound as I'm playing some of my favorite 2 track tapes. Also the transport works like a dream,quiet and the fast toggle tape speed switch is a dream come true(Ampex). I'm going to install the JRF headstack on my other 1/4 inch machine in about 2 weeks time.

What power....the hammer in a velvet glove,I'm in love.:D

Last edited:
One finished and two to go. I think this one came out well cosmetically,I'm hoping the others come out as well.

mr70-2a_zps1460c8c4.jpg

Last edited:
:cool:

I have started to clean up the 1/2 inch 4 track. Considering the history and age it is in pretty good shape. Hopefully I can bring it up on my variac in the next few days.

mr704trk12.jpg

mr70elec4.jpg

Hey Roger:

If I only had a little more room in my house, I would help you by adopting one of the MR70s...

---- I can hear Myles laughing in NYC as I type this in Seattle...

Hey Roger:

If I only had a little more room in my house, I would help you by adopting one of the MR70s...

---- I can hear Myles laughing in NYC as I type this in Seattle...

Hi Ki

Let me know if the itch becomes unbearable. I know where there is another 1/4 inch 2 track and it runs.:)

Last edited:
Roger, you are certainly a true passionate.

* Looks real good, in those pictures just above.
Keep it up till the music is rolling & playing in the real air.

And of course, we all wanna know how it is 'reproducing' in your ears. :b

Bests,
Bob

I brought the transport up on a variac today and everything seems to be working fine. The machine has a service decal from a company in the L.A. area and a 3 prong IEC plug has been installed,which is a good sign. I might go down and P/U the 1/4 inch machine this weekend,if I catch a 2nd wind. I now plan to bring the meter bridge and trim pieces to have powder coated. This 1/2 inch 4 track is a beast,the electronics weigh 140 pounds and the transport is about 130 pounds,a big machine.

I forgot to mention that the motors are smooth and quiet,as the seller said he had the motors rebuilt and the flywheel re-done. That's half the battle with these machines.

The electronics were very clean and came with the rare cover plates ...very happy

Next week I will send John at JRF the 1/2 inch headstack to get cleaned and lapped. I will also send another headstack to get 1/4" heads fitted.

4TMR70.jpg

bobmr70.jpg

mr70bob.jpg

DSCN2953.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu