Ampex electronics for the best possible sound

I'm going to let these MR70 electronics play for another few days before I say much. Two things I know now that I have heard these. For better or worse it's a shame that the nuvistor never had a chance to make a strong hold in audio. They sound very unique,better than a vacuum tube,with a crispness of the very best solid state,and that thought might not do these justice.

Who threw that switch? Gary screams from the back of the house, "don't @#$%&^ touch them!

Last edited:
When I get the head stack back from John French,I will order a tape from Tony Ma and I will see what this MR70 is capable of. After last night I have to agree with Rich U47 this machine is legendary.

Hi Roger
I will be away to Hong Kong from 14 Mar to 4 April, if you going to order tape that you can direct to our web and tell Ed Pong what you looking for CCIR or NAB, high out put or same as Tape Project, also we just finished another recording last week, detail in the NEWS of our web, cello played like the sound of few Japanese traditional instruments very interesting
tony ma

Hi Roger
I will be away to Hong Kong from 14 Mar to 4 April, if you going to order tape that you can direct to our web and tell Ed Pong what you looking for CCIR or NAB, high out put or same as Tape Project, also we just finished another recording last week, detail in the NEWS of our web, cello played like the sound of few Japanese traditional instruments very interesting
tony ma

Hi Tony,

Do you have a favorite?

Roger

Hi Roger
Actually my knowlege in misic are very little, Bach is not my favor, there are not too many for you to choose now, Rachmaninov is two tapes set and Beethoven both are the best recording so far.
tony ma

Hi Roger
Actually my knowlege in misic are very little, Bach is not my favor, there are not too many for you to choose now, Rachmaninov is two tapes set and Beethoven both are the best recording so far.
tony ma

Thanks Tony, I like Rachmaninov.

You will have the CD of both misic come with any tape too
tony ma

Although I am a die-hard reel-to-reel tape kind of guy, I also believe properly recorded and played back digital can be very good. However, the CD of Beethoven recording in comparison to the tape is no contest in my setup... Of courses, quality the CD player or the digital setup has something to do with its final sound and intrinsic error in tape repro (with never flat responses including the head bump could positively influence the tape sound's outcome) but you will hear clear differences from two different medias of same performance. You will be quite happy with the tapes, Roger!

Although I am a die-hard reel-to-reel tape kind of guy, I also believe properly recorded and played back digital can be very good. However, the CD of Beethoven recording in comparison to the tape is no contest in my setup... Of courses, quality the CD player or the digital setup has something to do with its final sound and intrinsic error in tape repro (with never flat responses including the head bump could positively influence the tape sound's outcome) but you will hear clear differences from two different medias of same performance. You will be quite happy with the tapes, Roger!

Ki,

I would like to use the tape on all my machines. The 350 is only NAB,but the 440 and MR70 can be setup for CCIR and NAB. Is there much of a difference between the two equalisations?

Good Tony that makes it easier for me.

As a side note the MR70 electronics have come up quite a bit as the level has went from 5 to 3 3/4 and the sound has gained even more presence. Having never heard these before I can say without any reservation that the sound is absolutely beautiful. The characterisation is not a audiophile one,but beautiful is the best one I want to put on it right now.

Roger, this is sounding very promising, congratulations! Everything I've experienced with audio so far has indicated to me that there is almost no limit to how good sound can get, at least I have never encountered an intrinsic barrier as to how overwhelming, "beautiful", huge, all the adjectives you want to toss up, recordings can become ...

Cheers,
Frank

Ki,

I would like to use the tape on all my machines. The 350 is only NAB,but the 440 and MR70 can be setup for CCIR and NAB. Is there much of a difference between the two equalisations?

As Tony suggested, I would go for the NAB EQ. I had the tapes in IEC initially and now they are in NAB - just the way the original master was recorded...

Roger, this is sounding very promising, congratulations! Everything I've experienced with audio so far has indicated to me that there is almost no limit to how good sound can get, at least I have never encountered an intrinsic barrier as to how overwhelming, "beautiful", huge, all the adjectives you want to toss up, recordings can become ...

Cheers,
Frank

Frank I have read a lot about nuvistors lately and like anything else opinions vary quite a bit. In the Ampex topology they sound stunning,the closest I have ever been to the music.

The only knock that I have heard about Nuvistors in general and the MR-70 repros in particular is that they have a tendency to go microphonic. For you to say that this is the closest you have ever been to the music says a lot.

The only knock that I have heard about Nuvistors in general and the MR-70 repros in particular is that they have a tendency to go microphonic. For you to say that this is the closest you have ever been to the music says a lot.

Mark,

I have read the same thing and I'm going to knock on wood here. I have a significant stock pile of the numbers that these units use. Btw the 350's are no slouch either,the only way I can describe the difference is as "presence" and plenty of it.

Headroom plays a major part in the dynamics,the lower bass ripples through the house now quite amazing.

Ki,

Hi Roger:

I didn't see you had the question. The differences are rather significant if your goal is to reproduce the original tape as closely as possible to the way it was recorded. You will have wrong frequency responses playing back in the different EQ than the way it was recorded. Considering all of your machines will play NAB, you should stick with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu