An analog mixing studio in this digital age

Very interesting article-specially his thoughts on tubes.

This is not so uncommon. There are a LOT of the larger studios that have analog chains..

One thing that caught my ear so to speak was the statement that "when digital files get sent in". Hmmmmmm.... so the digital files are going through a D/A process and then A/D process.... when they get sent to the mastering engineer, it goes through the same process again... D/A and A/D...

This is not so uncommon. There are a LOT of the larger studios that have analog chains..

I agree. I found it interesting, since it is John Wood who has engineered many classic albums and he independently funded this analog studio last year.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but it sounds like he is converting digital mutli-tracks sent to him to analog tape and mixing in analog for the "analog magic"

I agree. I found it interesting, since it is John Wood who has engineered many classic albums and he independently funded this analog studio last year.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but it sounds like he is converting digital mutli-tracks sent to him to analog tape and mixing in analog for the "analog magic"

As do I sometimes. Adding a "tape layback" sometimes adds the magic needed to a digital file. Then it goes back into the digital domain to be sent to the mastering engineer. If he sends a tape to the mastering engineer... all the better. Then it will go back into the digital domain for distribution via CD or download.

There are a couple of things that caught my eye. First is the mention of mixing in a box. Mixing without a good interface is definitely no fun. Hard to come up with something that sounds good if you can't get a smooth work flow. Second is his comment on plug-ins. I agree that there are too many outboard devices that have no software equivalent. This IME extends to EQ as well, like tubes in guitar amps, some EQs add color that is creatively desirable in given situations that digital EQ doesn't give you. Mixing is a creative process after all and the man has chosen his medium and color palette. I'm really happy for him if a bit envious. Mixing is my audio "True Love".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing