An appreciation of an Ampex 351 tape deck

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
Hello,
I'm afraid I no longer have that person's contact information, sorry. I can very highly recommend Dave Dintenfass at Full Track Productions located in Seattle, WA. www.fulltrackproductions.com is his website. He is an authority on Ampex equipment and offers skilled rebuilding services on motors. He rebuilt the capstan motor I use and it is quiet and seems completely new.
The faceplates on the electronics can be resurfaced by a competent machine shop. As I understand it the printing is not applied to the surface. Rather it is stamped into the metal and then paint is applied over the top filling in the graphics. This means that minor surface scratches can be removed by a very light surface removal. I chose a different approach, I carefully polished the surface using Flitz metal polish using cotton balls several times. Then I used a good quality car wax to seal the surface and allow easy fingerprint removal. I also bought a third complete electronics chassis and chose the two best looking faceplates for the final assembly. Along the way I bought a NOS electronics faceplate, but the graphics for the speed control setting were different from the version I was using so I didn't use it.
Thank you for advices! Flitz already bought will see how it will work! Do you selling this NOS electronic faceplate? Maybe it was from 350 or 400 model. I have both need to renovate.

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
My Ampex rebuild project progression: Reel motors on the place everything aligned and working good.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    754.5 KB · Views: 17

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Beautiful! I'm also working with Dave Dintenfass on a 351 project. I am a musician and trying to convert a 300 pr 351 transport to 1/2 inch, using 351 electronics.

Jerome Sabbagh

Reactions: tapepath

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Jerome,
Thanks for your comments! Dave is certainly an authority for all things dealing with Ampex plus he's a generous person. Good luck with your project, are you planning to record yourself with the converted 351?

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Hi Jerome,
Thanks for your comments! Dave is certainly an authority for all things dealing with Ampex plus he's a generous person. Good luck with your project, are you planning to record yourself with the converted 351?

Yes, I am! That's the plan. If all goes well, before the end of the year. Dave has been amazing to work with.

Jerome

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Since the playback electronics of the 351 uses an output transformer to provide a balanced output and to reduce distortion I wanted to find out what improvements could be made using a different transformer. I ordered two transformers from the Electra Print company using silver wire for all of the primary, secondary and feedback windings. I also wanted to reposition where the transformer would be mounted, moving it as far as possible from the AC transformer. I used Cardas shielded cable for the output connections to reduce any noise.

Attachments

• DSC_0340.JPG
    DSC_0340.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0341.JPG
    DSC_0341.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 12

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Thank you, I appreciate your comments. To answer your question, sigitask, yes there are conventional steel rack type rails attached to the insides of the enclosure. I was very fortunate that the bottom section was exactly the needed dimensions for mounting the two electronics sections and that the mounting holes lined up.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Great beast, and really nice burl - that was a good move!

How much, do you think this machine weighs? I would guess about 150lb?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing