An argument for NOT spiking speakers to floor

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding the townsend vid ,
What he uses is some kind of absorption In the feet I suppose , I think all those visco elastic /elastomer/rubber vibration absorbing devices dont really solve the problems within an incorrectly designed speaker , it also absorbs energy which I dont want .
I want my speakers dynamic .

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Vibrations arise also in a loudspeakercone membranes
There it also needs to be stiff with high internal dampning just as in the LS housing , plus also light off course which aint a problem in a housing
Funny thing is in both occasions I end up with paper composites as the most dampned natural sounding to my ears
A Mid unit membrane ( takes the important part of the FR range ) paper composite .
Hpl is strong paper sheet layers drenched in phenolic resin and then heated pressed into a plate.

P s I have tried my share of ceramic - diamond cones

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Imo one should never couple to the floor,
Always use something like finite element , spikes.
My understanding is that spikes are a form of coupling to the floor, just at a different amplitude than without spikes.

The question doesn’t really work...

Then allow me to try to re-context the question.

Which is going to benefit from floor spikes the most, the very heavy speaker or the very light weight speaker?

The preposition I am putting forth is that there is a possibility that heavy weight speakers benefit more with speaker spikes than lightweight speakers.

Back when most loudspeakers were lighter weight than they are today nobody spiked them. Spiking became necessary as the weight increased. Question is why?

Alsyvox (light - respective of energy output)

Bafflex (heavy - respective of energy output)

Why would they need the same solution if their circumstances differ?

I don't have a personal mandate in this game, but I once built some very light weight speakers and I never felt the need to spike them.

The heavier the speakers I made, the more I fell back to spiking them.

Would that be a matter of bass energy output or just the ratio of weight to overall energy output?

I don't know if I've stated the situation any clearer as I do not know which part Folsom is taking objection to.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Off course its a form of coupling but with spikes you make the contact surface with the floor as small as you can , hence the term decoupliing.
Bass energy gives the most vibrations so it takes more requirements to control it.
Why not hang them from the ceiling lol, let the neighbours deal with them.

Thanks for the watertest video comment and how strange it may seem the woofers were hardly moving with the cat at 11 oclock.
Cant wait to have a treated demo room to open these babies up.
They can make the earth shake believe me.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I sometimes went to a local dealer and heard the latest magico S 5 or other speakers in my pricerange .
Although the magico s sound refined mine are a different ballgame .
I bet the magico s get afraid and go stand crying in the corner lol the sound impact /dynamics is complety different.
Great for movies as well

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Bass power is like putting gun powder in either rolled up paper( firecracker /mdf) or in a steel casing ( phenolic resin cabinet ).and explode it , same gun powder but sounds quit diferent.
Magico has the housing material right but still no bass impact , I dont know what they are doing there lol.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I think referencing this other thread and post by christensenleif@msn.com, #4 post and #6 post in particular to be of interest.

Vibro meter
https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/vibro-meter.29013/

The product mentioned.

RUBLOC - TRISOLATOR
http://www.fmtacoustics.com/index.htm?doc/rubloc/trisolator.htm&Main

RUBLOC Trisolator is a double pad system with an internal damping mat. The external sheets are hard and the internal is a soft elastomer mat which have spherical damping profiles which increase the vibration insulation capacity. The total height of the Trisolator is 28 mm. There is a hard, soft and ultra soft type.

More, this time on the pads, not the mats but they look the same to me.

http://www.fmtacoustics.com/index.htm?doc/rubloc.htm&Main

When the pads are subjected to vibrations they respond by simultaneous compress and flex and the vibration energy is transformed into heat. The pads has a irregular shape and this improves the insulation properties by introducing internal wave tension into the pad

They make some glue for plywood floors too.
http://www.fmtacoustics.com/index.htm?doc/vibradamp/dlv2000.htm&Main

Getting good now...........................

DAMPING BEAM
http://www.fmtacoustics.com/index.htm?doc/vibradamp/dlv2000.htm&Main
The damping beams are designed to damp the resonance of first and second order bending waves on the treated construction by constraining the panel motion. The reduction is effective across a broad frequency range, because of the used damping material in beams. Treatment with the damping beams provides energy absorption even for the higher frequencies born in the construction.
FMT acoustics - beam.jpg

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Reactions: Ron Resnick

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
My understanding is that spikes are a form of coupling to the floor, just at a different amplitude than without spikes.

Somewhat untrue even though both may fall into the same methodology camp. Unless we're talking an object weighing thousand of pounds, there is little direct correlation between a potentially superior coupling method vs just placing a large flat surface on the floor even when both weigh the same. Moreover, spikes or cones are indeed a form of coupling the speaker to hopefully the subflooring. But when of inferior quality, materials, and/or installation methods, will offer little or no sonic benefit over no spikes / cones.

Then allow me to try to re-context the question.

Which is going to benefit from floor spikes the most, the very heavy speaker or the very light weight speaker?

The heavier speaker just as your own experience seems to substantiate. For the same reason, a 3-point soution allows for potentially more performance over a 4-point solution. Not to mention that 3 points make a plane and 4 points leads to rocking and instability. Moreover, the lighter speaker is more easily excited by unwanted energy than a heavier speaker. Just like a feather vs a brick. And the liighter / less dense a speaker the more opportunity for the speaker to vibrate in sympathy with vibrations captured. On the other hand, a heavier / more dense speaker better damps the energy within. When an object consists of of reasonable or better materials the object has greater opportunity to sufficently damp the resonant energy. And when an object is sufficiently-or-better damped, it's well on its way to becoming a superior mechanical conduit allowing mechanical energy to continue its travels.

The preposition I am putting forth is that there is a possibility that heavy weight speakers benefit more with speaker spikes than lightweight speakers.

You are correct. The heavier the speaker the more superior the connection with the fooring system and the more superior the mechanical conduit to more freely allow unwanted energy to exit the speaker rather than remain trapped and wreak a little havoc within as it releases its energy there.

Back when most loudspeakers were lighter weight than they are today nobody spiked them. Spiking became necessary as the weight increased. Question is why?

True, but back then fewer people did any experimenting, didn't give much thought to types of materials, fastening methods, etc. But I'd guess that you already answered this question that heavier speakers seem to respond better to coupling to the flooring system.

(light - respective of energy output)

Bafflex (heavy - respective of energy output)

Why would they need the same solution if their circumstances differ?

The material you shared regarding the Bafflex is pretty accurate regarding the grounding part even though I just glimpsed over it. However, to the best of my knowledge, mechanical conduits generally work the same in both directions. I think where some claim a mechanical object to be directional or 1-way, they are forgetting that energy seeks first and foremost to travel away from its point source i.e. the speaker. So their geometry most likely means nothing even though the energy is essentially traveling 1-way but only because its traveling away from its point source. Also, brass is a soft metal and really too slow so I would consider it an inferior material when compared to other metal materials that more expediently allow energy to travel. And it makes a big difference. Common folklore is that because they make instruments out of brass, that it must make for an excellent footer too. And of course "audiophiles" just gobble that up. Brass is slow as molasses but obviously superior to softer materials.

I don't have a personal mandate in this game, but I once built some very light weight speakers and I never felt the need to spike them.

I'm guessing you have a pretty good idea why.

The heavier the speakers I made, the more I fell back to spiking them.

Yup.

Would that be a matter of bass energy output or just the ratio of weight to overall energy output?

Primarily the weight. Every speaker, whether bookshelf or 7ft tall full range, is essentially its own little epicenter of unwanted energy and it doesn't take much to completely saturate an object with unwanted energy when its ability to escape is hindered. Quantities and depths of bass really have little to do with much of anything. I mean, how saturated can saturated get?

I don't know if I've stated the situation any clearer as I do not know which part Folsom is taking objection to.

Dunno. But basic laws of energy behavior seem to dictate that energy seeks first and foremost to travel away from its point source i.e. the speaker. Secondarily, when trapped or restricted it seeks to release all of its energy within and usually at the most easily exitable objects, like a crossover perhaps or maybe a driver.

If true, there is no valid reason to isolate or decouple a speaker from the floor. No matter what some may claim.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
IME Alsyvox is correct, and they also make some of the best speakers in the world so I do trust their judgement.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Thank you all for the replies.

I re-read the thread and looked at the original diagram and it seems that I may have overlooked a rather obvious implication.

The speaker forces in question are lateral, not vertical.

This has me questioning if there are any turntable manufacturers designing to counter the rotating mass of the platter, which is another form of a lateral or sideways force.

Would flexible or rigid coupling then be preferred ignoring all other forces?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
IME Alsyvox is correct, and they also make some of the best speakers in the world so I do trust their judgement.

Interesting, DaveC. So you're saying your experience was much like Alsyvox?

I've never heard the Alsyvox but recently a friend was this close to purchasing the Botticelli's but decided on another brand at the bottom of the 9th. He ranted and raved at how musical the Alsyvox speakers that he recently heard at several shows and he's gotta' pretty good ear so I wouldn't dispute that.

Anyway, I went out to Alsyvox' website again and from what they share on their technology page, exactly what is it that you agree with? That all speaker cabinets resonate? If I told you, everything at and within a speaker, boxed or framed, continuously resonates with unwanted energy perhaps even when music isn't playing, would you agree with that?

Are you saying because the Alsyvox speaker is a fabulous performer resonant energy's basic behaviors no longer apply? Or are you saying because their speaker is a fabulous performer, it's not possible or at least not reasonable to think Alsyvox was shortsighted about any aspect of their execution, or at least in the way of controlling vibrations?

Are you saying you agree with Alsyvox that intentionally trapping all resonant energy at the speaker and then releasing all that energy within the speaker is a good practice? Can you explain how all that energy trapped within the speaker which also must release all of its energy within have little / no impact on their speaker's performance? Or is it possible for their speaker to be pretty fabulous in spite of a possible imperfection or two?

Since you've experienced results similar to Alsyvox, would you say that you exhausted every reaonable variation of vibration controlling possibilites when mounting your speaker to the floor? And in so doing would you say you applied the absolute most vigorous and fullest extent possible before settling on your current method? Presumably you performed several experiements with various methods and matherials. Would you care to you briefly explain your most extreme effort at managing vibrations at the speaker and what materials you settled onj and why? And would you share the amount of time spent "waiting for the paint to dry" before reaching your conclusions?

BTW, maybe I overlooked it but I don't recall Alsyvox claiming to be vibration mgmt experts or that they thoroughly and extensively exhausted all variations of vibration controlling materials and possibilities before settlig on the materials and methods for their speakers. However, it seems clear to me they are attempting to share, as nice and concise their description is, what they think works best for them based on their limited experience. My translation. And if they don't make such claims, why do you suppose others might consider them vibration mgmt experts?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I think Alsyvox claims lateral energy of the driver is transmitted with intentional sideways motion via rubber feet.

Their diagram is similar to a building suffering from high winds and or earthquake.

Yes, buildings in earthquake zones may have large rubber like dampeners to control motion and fundamental frequency for motion in all directions (oscillation).

I see this as a sprung wood floor solution common in residential housing.

I think the best method is to design and build a speaker so that it can be placed on either a bouncy wood floor or solid concrete floor, in which case either a Brightstar like energy absorbing base needs to be part of the design, or speaker is supplied with both rubber feet and metal spikes.

As I do not trust people to have common sense my latest design sketches for a loudspeaker feature a built-in mass base of such depth to ensure that the speaker will not be shoved flat agaist a wall. Idiot proof - I hope.

Interesting, DaveC. So you're saying your experience was much like Alsyvox? .................

Are you saying you agree with Alsyvox that intentionally trapping all resonant energy at the speaker and then releasing all that energy within the speaker is a good practice? Can you explain how all that energy trapped within the speaker which also must release all of its energy within have little / no impact on their speaker's performance? Or is it possible for their speaker to be pretty fabulous in spite of a possible imperfection or two?

I think that DaveC and others were attempting to answer my questions in a very simple and non-confrontational manner. This may have lead to some unintentional vagueness that I trust you can work around stehno.

I am now of the mindset that both rubber feet and metal spikes are the right choice, rubber on sprung floor, spikes on concrete ground slab. However the "rubber" I've used in the past was actually hard plastic so I have some experimenting to do to verify current mindset.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I think Alsyvox claims lateral energy of the driver is transmitted with intentional sideways motion via rubber feet.

Their diagram is similar to a building suffering from high winds and or earthquake.

Yes, buildings in earthquake zones may have large rubber like dampeners to control motion and fundamental frequency for motion in all directions (oscillation).

I see this as a sprung wood floor solution common in residential housing.

I think the best method is to design and build a speaker so that it can be placed on either a bouncy wood floor or solid concrete floor, in which case either a Brightstar like energy absorbing base needs to be part of the design, or speaker is supplied with both rubber feet and metal spikes.

As I do not trust people to have common sense my latest design sketches for a loudspeaker feature a built-in mass base of such depth to ensure that the speaker will not be shoved flat agaist a wall. Idiot proof - I hope.

I think that DaveC and others were attempting to answer my questions in a very simple and non-confrontational manner. This may have lead to some unintentional vagueness that I trust you can work around stehno.

I am now of the mindset that both rubber feet and metal spikes are the right choice, rubber on sprung floor, spikes on concrete ground slab. However the "rubber" I've used in the past was actually hard plastic so I have some experimenting to do to verify current mindset.

Kach, I understand quite well what others were attempting to do with their responses. I also was not aware that you’re designing speakers. I wouldn’t wanna' waste any more of anybody's time if the topic was trivial as many seem to think. But based on my limited experience, I’d venture that speaker construction, materials, and how it’s connected to the flooring system one can easily realize on average a 10 – 15% overall performance improvement and I’ve done this multiple times. If taken to the extreme (I have not with speakers anyway), I would not be surprised in the least if performance increased to the 25 – 35% range and if so, that’s nothing to sneeze at.

Also, as I’m sure you know, anything that bucks the mainstream mindset is in and of itself confrontational and at some point basic laws and principles must come into play, especially when they are violated.

Anyway, I think the key to your response is your use of the phrase common sense. Which as you seem to imply ain’t so common.

If I was assigned the task to build 48 cubic foot dog house and given a budget of $200 and the only other requirement was that it had to last 50 year minimum, I’d apply my common sense to my design, acquire materials, assemble, paint, and then collect my $200. And perhaps all my family and neighbors would commend me on a job well done.

Then somebody like yourself with an architectural / structural engineering or even a construction background comes by to inspect the dog house. Now your common sense kicks in and you tell me that I’d be lucky if this dog house is still standing in just 1 or 2 years at the most. You list my shortcomings including my use of indoor paint, lack of galvanized nails, untreated wood, no shingles, no corner bracing, no anchoring to the foundation, all the while concluding that I gave this project nothing more than a token effort – from your common sense perspective. But I love this dog house and all my family and neighbors love it too and it even got published in the local newspaper and the feedback there ranked it among the best. Why do they all love it? Could it be because their common sense is much like my own and not like yours?

The point being, we all have varied levels of common sense regarding a subject matter depending on application, requirements, execution, and industry and what we have here is no different.

For example. You choose to use a small high-rise building and how it ought to be anchored to the foundation to make it earthquake proof as your example of performing due diligence.

A high-rise building being a massive load is intended to be anchored in some fashion to a superior foundation (as opposed to an inferior one) which in turn is anchored in some fashion to the earth. The hope being to preserve the building structure and contents in the event of an earthquake by providing some type of energy-absorbing buffer to shield it from the earthquake’s potentially violent and catastrophic energy e.g. rollers, absorbers, etc.

Comparing your model to designing a speaker and anchoring it to the flooring system is IMO comparing apples and oranges with few if any similarities and here’s why:
  • The unwanted energy source is in the earth vs in the speaker.
  • Even low magnitude earthquakes can be violent enough to collapse some buildings vs no amount of music energy has ever collapsed a speaker’s structure that I’m aware of. That said, to use violent earthquakes and buildings as your model or methodology for designing a speaker is more along the lines of shock and impact vs continuous resonant energy. Shock and impact has nothing whatsoever to with high-end audio and playback performance (leaving TT’s out of the equation), is another subject matter entirely that requires entirely different remedies.
  • Unwanted energy should remain in the earth so it cannot induce its catastrophic harm to the building (think isolation) vs unwanted energy at the speaker should transfer to earth before it can induce its harm on the sonics (think energy transfer). Unless one thinks trapping unwanted energy at the speaker is a good thing.
  • When oscillation occurs, the building as a whole should move to counter and balance vs we want the speaker to be rigid and unmoving since it’s intended to be a large conduit for mechanical energy to transfer to the earth.
  • The building’s integrity should be rigid and structurally sound for unchanging longevity / performance vs the speaker’s integrity should be rigid and structurally sound so as to act as a superior mechanical conduit for which mechanical energy is more free to travel away from the speaker.
  • Unwanted energy in the earth seeks to travel away from its point source - stop it vs unwanted energy in the speaker seeks to travel away from its point source - let it. That's what energy wants to do more than anything and is a completely natural behavior. Even if you thought you could win (you can't), why fight it? Let it travel.
In summary, you’ve presented a classic case of isolation vs resonant energy transfer and the two methodologies have nothing in common whatsoever. Can a speaker sound quite musical if inferiorly designed? Happens all the time. Can a speaker sound significantly more musical when superiorly designed? We may never know. But as I’m sure you know, a misapplication of common sense regardless of industry generally guarantees performance opportunities will be kept to a bare minimum at best. And that’s what we’re really talking about here, performance opportunities. Or lack thereof.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
stehno

Comparing your model to designing a speaker and anchoring it to the flooring system is IMO comparing apples and oranges with few if any similarities and here’s why:

I am asking you to take a step back from the canvas and loosen your grip on the brush.

The GIF posted is representational, not literal.

I ask that you use your imagination and ability to think in reverse or mirror image reflectively and picture the buildings as loudspeakers, speakers that are the source of all the commotion.

Yes, this is 180 degrees opposite of the building under earthquake scenario, but in the past your brilliant mind has mastered calculus (I assume) so this should be a breeze.

https://www.askamathematician.com/2...gralantiderivative-the-area-under-a-function/
Physicist: If you’ve taken calculus, then at some point you learned that to find the area under a function (generally written
) you need to find the anti-derivative of that function. The most natural response to these types of theorems is “wait… what?… why?”.

This theorem is so important and widely used that it’s called the “fundamental theorem of calculus”, and it ties together the integral (area under a function) with the antiderivative (opposite of the derivative) so tightly that the two words are essentially interchangeable. However, there are some mathematicians who may take issue with mixing up the two terms.

The below is perhaps more concise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/222reo
....an integral reverses the operation of a derivative and vice-versa.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I am asking you to take a step back from the canvas and loosen your grip on the brush.

The GIF posted is representational, not literal.

I ask that you use your imagination and ability to think in reverse or mirror image reflectively and picture the buildings as loudspeakers, speakers that are the source of all the commotion.

Yes, this is 180 degrees opposite of the building under earthquake scenario, but in the past your brilliant mind has mastered calculus (I assume) so this should be a breeze.

https://www.askamathematician.com/2...gralantiderivative-the-area-under-a-function/

The below is perhaps more concise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/222reo

Kach, based on your last response, I get the feeling when you posted your OP you were really just seeking affirmation and not potential critiscm. But one thing seems pretty clear, common sense means different things to different people.

Wish you the best with your new speakers.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Kach, based on your last response, I get the feeling when you posted your OP you were really just seeking affirmation and not potential critiscm. But one thing seems pretty clear, common sense means different things to different people.

Wish you the best with your new speakers.
Not seeking personal criticism would be correct.

Seeking to explore why two different manufactures use two different approaches would also be correct.

And about sketching loudspeakers, that is what I do, I draw - a lot, over a thousand sketches a year (never counted them).

Not only am I currently sketching up building plans and details as part of my profession, I'm doodling turntables, speakers, stereo equipment of all kinds, hovercraft, aircraft, aerodynamic automobiles and so forth.

I usually get fixated on a subject until I get a little burnt out or bored, then move on to the next topic of interest.

Right now I am sort of attitude biased (following a personal theory) that for one to create an audio component including loudspeakers with little regard for how they may react on different floor conditions or shelf conditions is passing the buck to the purchaser to solve a problem via a vendor of let's say an platform or something.

You can say, but that's the way it's always been.

And you would be right.

I try do more than just identify problems, I also do my best to solve them.

No one hires me to just identify their problem, although that's part of it, they also expect a solution.

Reactions: Dentdog

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Curious what the thoughts are of implementing a sort of Hybrid approach to spiking and isolation. I suppose this is what I am doing now by using a set of Herbie Audio Lab Cone Spike Decoupling Gliders in combination with my in-built Magico SS spikes that are attached to outriggers on the bottom of the speaker cabinets which are of course made of aluminum?

My floors are wood raised over a crawl space so considered "bouncy". To my ears the Herbie gliders result in a much preferred sound then spiking them directing to the bouncy floor. I won't rule out possibly smoking crack here in what I hear and am open to changing the setup if its just not possible from a science standpoint for the speakers to sound better when not being directly coupled to the bouncy floor. I know that is Magicos stance on the subject but I sometimes wonder if they are living in the real world or just their own world when making such decisions.

@stehno...I always enjoy reading your input on these sorts of topics. You seem to have a very solid understanding of how this stuff works...Thanks

Reactions: Dentdog

tkoslek

Oct 15, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Just thought I would offer my two cents. I have Legacy Aeris speakers and have used spikes on a suspended wooden floor. Recently I was able to snag a pair of the Townshend Podiums and have been impressed. The corner feet are adjustable and have some sort of air suspension in them that you adjust as far as stiffness. Anyways, without the podium, the Aeris sounded great - dynamic and powerful. With the Townshend the speakers have a much greater ability to disappear and get out of the way. In particular, female voices seem noticeably clearer and have more air around them. The bass is still fantastic, but lost some heft to it. It seems a little faster, most likely due to not having resonance so prevalent in the output.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing