An evening with Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi NorthStar,

This design has underwent several iterations. Initially we were looking for a material to extend the Tana (modified tablestable/herzan active platform) attenuation up to high frequencies, we then "discovered" panzerholz, or tankwood to have some very unique damping characteristics. This material is mainly used for bullet proofing armoured vehicles and for reducing vibration in large transformer cores (powerplant sized).

As with all objects with defined physical characteristics we discovered it had some dominant modal nodes dictated by material properties and physical dimensions. We then went through a lot of trial and error trying to eliminate those to get an even frequency response from the board and we came up with the cnc machined spiral pattern visible on the photo's above.

Next we wanted to be able to use them as standalone boards and we came up with the footers which have a strong deliberate "impedance mismatch" between board and surface it's placed on, floor, rack, other shelf, it does not matter much.

This is the version we've been selling up till a few months ago, we have now revised the footers (this is actually version 25 or so), which surprisingly at least doubles the entire platform's performance.

The whole setup converts a significant amount of vibration induced energy to heat, mainly by friction and is about as devoid of self colouration as it gets. We have not come across other products doing the exact same thing so far, so I feel it's safe to say it's a somewhat unique product.

It very significantly reduces vibration induced distortion in components removing annoyances like smear, harshness and imaging instability. It improves dynamic range and reveals previously covered up micro detail, texture and recording venue cues.

One word of warning, especially for digital systems, it is advisable to take note of your volume control setting before using them as when you remove this much distortion from your system you will be inclined to increase your volume to get the same "loudness" feel, combined with the increased dynamic response this can increase strain on your loudspeakers. I generally advice to adjust yourself to the new sound for a few days after which you will not feel the need to increase volume anymore. Especially the removal of distortion induced sibilance and upper mid and high frequency harshness, a common problem in aluminium housings, will make the system volume appear to be set lower.

3 pucks are better then 4 or more, but with increased weight loading the differences between them become very small.
That's interesting Emile. If I'm not mistaken, Steve W commented I believe on the effects of Centre Stage Footers seemingly causing an immediate INCREASE in volume.

Btw, are the footers fixed in the Daiza?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
That's interesting Emile. If I'm not mistaken, Steve W commented I believe on the effects of Centre Stage Footers seemingly causing an immediate INCREASE in volume.

Although you might be inclined to think their mode of operation is similar, it's really not. If you wanted to combine these you would place the Daiza on your floor / rack and use these footers between component and Daiza.

This is also not a Stacore or Herzan replacement product, also a different mode of operation, if you wanted to combine these you would place the Daiza on top of the Stacore or Herzan with the hi-fi component sitting on top of the Daiza..

The footers are not fixed, fixing them would interfere with their mode of action.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Although you might be inclined to think their mode of operation is similar, it's really not. If you wanted to combine these you would place the Daiza on your floor / rack and use these footers between component and Daiza.

This is also not a Stacore or Herzan replacement product, also a different mode of operation, if you wanted to combine these you would place the Daiza on top of the Stacore or Herzan with the hi-fi component sitting on top of the Daiza..

The footers are not fixed, fixing them would interfere with their mode of action.

Is a Daiza size and weight dependent?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is a Daiza size and weight dependent?

No weight dependency. Size somewhat, the center of the board is the "worst" performing section, therefor placing a 4*4" device in the centre of a 19*16" board would be suboptimal. It's furthermore advisable to have like a 1" difference between length and depth.

Reactions: bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

Is this the whole set with wooden board? Under what component did you initially try under?

Kind regards,
Tang

I have done my phonostage, linestage, linestage power supply and power amp. Going to do TT, speakers, phono power, TT power over time.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Mike,

I just looked at the video with you making presentation. In the video, I hear your voice has a lot of sibilances. Maybe you need to tune the vta of your vocal cord a little more to please a visitor like Ron. Did he complain about your sibilances during his visit btw. :D

Joking aside. I would like to congratulate you for your success keeping that tall body of yours very strong and healthy. With this kind of health you will be listening to your stereo for a century. MayI ask what pressing you were playing on that Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I only have the Mofi OMR 45. It is not as quiet as yours...cant believe it is a 45! Yours has a red label indicating it is different. The piano notes at the beginning is also quite different from the record I have. Or Maybe it is the video. Anyway, great to see you and hear your fantastic system although it was just a video.

Kindest regards,
Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No weight dependency. Size somewhat, the center of the board is the "worst" performing section, therefor placing a 4*4" device in the centre of a 19*16" board would be suboptimal. It's furthermore advisable to have like a 1" difference between length and depth.

"the center of the board is the "worst" performing section"

Why is that?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, what is your favorite music genre?

I have a preference for recordings creating a believable atmosphere/experience, like actually being there, I don't have a favourite genre.

"the center of the board is the "worst" performing section"

Why is that?

It vibrates more.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have a preference for recordings creating a believable atmosphere/experience, like actually being there, I don't have a favourite genre.

I really like that answer; you must have thought about it with accurate consideration? :)

It vibrates more.

The center is not solid; it is carved in.

Call me certainly intrigued ...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, a quick few Qs.
On this recent video w Mike, there are three circular white blobs installed in the spiral grooves.
First, these are not the footers?
Two, the platform is installed spiral-side down? Ie gear on the non-inscribed side?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I really like that answer; you must have thought about it with accurate consideration? :)

The center is not solid; it is carved in.

Call me certainly intrigued ...

The best answer I could come up with :)

Feel free to try one, we have a money back guarantee, full refund including shipping costs.

EDIT: the above only applies on standard sizes, custom sizes are not refundable.

Reactions: NorthStar

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, a quick few Qs.
On this recent video w Mike, there are three circular white blobs installed in the spiral grooves.
First, these are not the footers?
Two, the platform is installed spiral-side down? Ie gear on the non-inscribed side?

Yes to both questions. The video with Mike shows the platform underside without footers, Bill's photo shows it with. The circular blobs are part of the design.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Dear Mike,

I just looked at the video with you making presentation. In the video, I hear your voice has a lot of sibilances. Maybe you need to tune the vta of your vocal cord a little more to please a visitor like Ron. Did he complain about your sibilances during his visit btw. :D

Joking aside. I would like to congratulate you for your success keeping that tall body of yours very strong and healthy. With this kind of health you will be listening to your stereo for a century. MayI ask what pressing you were playing on that Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I only have the Mofi OMR 45. It is not as quiet as yours...cant believe it is a 45! Yours has a red label indicating it is different. The piano notes at the beginning is also quite different from the record I have. Or Maybe it is the video. Anyway, great to see you and hear your fantastic system although it was just a video.

Kindest regards,
Tang

I would love seeing Mike investing time exploring microphones and their positions for homemade music youtube videos.
He said in the past that it is not his thing; live audiences is more reel/real.

But me I sense a great potential for online audiences. In the video above I bet it's from a cell phone's camera and mic.
The level is low, certainly. With just some extra judicious effort the reach, the rewards we can all benefit.
Of course it won't be perfect, but it could be best for what's possible. And my instinct tells me that it would be closer to "magic" in Mike's superb music listening room.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Emile - everyone should know your recent test on the weight capacity since it made me laugh:

> Emile tested the Daiza for weight bearing and used a 12 tonnes (yes you read that correctly) pneumatic press. The Daiza was fine lol. Tank wood doing its job well then.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile - everyone should know your recent test on the weight capacity since it made me laugh:

> Emile tested the Daiza for weight bearing and used a 12 tonnes (yes you read that correctly) pneumatic press. The Daiza was fine lol. Tank wood doing its job well then.

Haha, to be fair, the footers did shrink a little, 0.5mm :)

IMG_1748.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Interesting also is that four Center Stage Footers are preferable to three. Here, three seem preferable to four.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Interesting also is that four Center Stage Footers are preferable to three, which is not the case here.

It depends a little on their mode of action, there are more footers which work better in fours, usually the preferred placement for these is on the most outer corners of the device sitting on top.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It depends a little on their mode of action, there are more footers which work better in fours, usually the preferred placement for these is on the most outer corners of the device sitting on top.

Thank you. Do you plan to sell these footers, or some modified version, as a separate product without the platform?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing