An evening with Mike Lavigne

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Thank you for posting all this....over many years on this and other forums, this is one of my favorite systems to study, learn
new things and hear stories about. I've talked with Mike several times and he's a great music lover and audiophile, always
willing to spend a lot of time talking and answering questions. This system, room and setting is an ultimate example of 'if only...'

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
o_O

seriously; i struggle with my diet every day to try and maintain my health. my father died of congestive heart failure and diabetes at the age of 76. so that's my alternative.

my 'KOB' is the 1995 Classic Records 4 disc 45rpm reissue. i have a shrink-wrapped identical backup too for 'lifetime coverage'. agree it's amazing. jazdoc prefers his KOB OP white label mono. i have OP stereo and mono pressings (not the white label) of KOB but personally the 45 trumps all to my ears.

so there is that.

but i would say that if i need to mainline musical goodness this is a good place to start.

i have 2 different KOB 15ips 1/4" master dubs of unknown provenance. they are pretty good. my 4 disc 45 smokes both my tape dubs.

. . .

The next time I come up to visit I will bring my tape of KOB and we can compare it to the 45rpm!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The next time I come up to visit I will bring my tape of KOB and we can compare it to the 45rpm!

i hope your tape is better, much better. i'd love to advance my reference for KOB.

but i'm skeptical that's it's better. but i do hope to see you up here soon....and if this helps motivate for that to happen then good.

and i listened to the Classic 4-disc KOB last night....awesome.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i hope your tape is better, much better. i'd love to advance my reference for KOB.

but i'm skeptical that's it's better. but i do hope to see you up here soon....and if this helps motivate for that to happen then good.

and i listened to the Classic 4-disc KOB last night....awesome.

I would love to have the details about how each version that is being referred was exactly mastered ... I know how it was recorded, but little else. IMHO it is what distinguishes the many versions of KOB.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would love to have the details about how each version that is being referred was exactly mastered ... I know how it was recorded, but little else. IMHO it is what distinguishes the many versions of KOB.

i have no idea about the provenance of the 2 master dubs i have.

so many KOB reissues over the years, as well as the speed issue. interesting subject.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
i suppose if ever a recording was worth stepping up for the best example, this would be that one....with a bullet.
Sawasdee Mike,

You have more Classic Record one sided 45 than most people. Do you have ones on the Belafonte at Carnegie? How are they?

Kindest regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tang,
i have,are 8 lp and is really fantastic,more transparent and Dynamic than 33 rpm
I have also Weavers in 5 LP

Now there is Belafonte in AP with 5 45 rpm,i think is also good

Ciao
Gian

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpg
    IMG_6574.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6575.jpg
    IMG_6575.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: bonzo75 and Tango

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I Heard this 45rpm Vinyl of Harry at Carnegie in Serge's setup....so palpable!

Attachments

• 20190302_152758.jpg
    20190302_152758.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • stealth_3.jpg
    stealth_3.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190302_150835.jpg
    20190302_150835.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sawasdee Mike,

You have more Classic Record one sided 45 than most people. Do you have ones on the Belafonte at Carnegie? How are they?

Kindest regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

yes; i do have the 8 disc Belafonte At Carnegie Hall. i had not played it for at least a couple of years.....so i'm listening now.

it's fantastic sounding, super low noise, with a panoramic sound stage, pulsing with micro-dynamic energy, and 'you are there' realism way over the top. i'm there in that hall sitting front and center listening. the bass presence, ease and authority smile and smirk inducing.

with your Lamm's likely Harry would be palpably there in your room with you.

my new 5th Tana platform and other recent system upgrades explodes the previous 'not low' memory of the sonics and sets a new higher bar.

i can't comment on how other pressings might compare although some years ago i pursued an original pressing of this recording, and recall that this smoked it. i'd guess the AP version is also pretty good, and the question might be if you love the music enough to step up to the Classic Box.

i would echo the mention of 'The Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall-1963' as a similar level of astonishing recording quality in a live performance. playing that one now too.

do you love the music? if so; these 2 Classic Records single sided 45rpm box sets are real gems.

Buena Vista Social Club and Royal Ballet Gala Performances are other single sided Classic Records box sets i would also add to this list.

again; do you love the music?

one additional comment. with these single sided Classic Records pressings, the sound just seems to have a sense of headroom, in that there is never any stress or strain with the music......it just leaps and flows from the grooves teasing you to dig deeper and that it will, of course, keep delivering more as you climb the mountain.

thank you for getting me to pull these out.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

yes; i do have the 8 disc Belafonte At Carnegie Hall. i had not played it for at least a couple of years.....so i'm listening now.

it's fantastic sounding, super low noise, with a panoramic sound stage, pulsing with micro-dynamic energy, and 'you are there' realism way over the top. i'm there sitting front and center in that hall listening. the bass presence, ease and authority smile and smirk inducing.

with your Lamm's likely Harry would be palpably there with you.

my new 5th Tana platform and other recent system upgrades explodes the previous 'not low' memory of the sonics and sets a new higher bar.

i can't comment on how other pressings might compare although some years ago i pursued an original pressing of this recording, and recall that this smoked it. i'd guess the AP version is also pretty good, and the question might be if you love the music enough to step up to the Classic Box.

i would echo the mention of 'The Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall-1963' as a similar level of astonishing recording quality in a live performance. playing that one now too.

do you love the music? if so; these 2 Classic Records single sided 45rpm box sets are real gems.

Buena Vista Social Club and Royal Ballet Gala Performances are other single sided Classic Records box sets i would also add to this list.

again; do you love the music?

one additional comment. with these single sided Classic Records pressings, the sound just seems to have a sense of headroom, in that there is never any stress or strain with the music......it just leaps and flows from the grooves teasing you to dig deeper and that it will, of course, keep delivering more as you climb the mountain.

thank you for getting me to pull these out.

best regards,

Mike
I love the way you describe the sound out fresh from listening.

Hey. Go big or go home right? ;)

Thank you Mike, Gian and wisnon for feedbacks.
Tang

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No problem Tang. Harry is my countryman! I went crazy afterwards and bought 10 vintage albums off my tube barn guy who is going out of business. Most were European label releases. One is LIVE in Japan and one is an Xmas album. "Mama look a boo-boo" is da bomb!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My English is terrible and very poor.
I would like to describe the sound like Mike,but i couldn't
So i am totally agree with Mike.
Also this is very good,even if Ked claim with me that the original are better,yes i know but also this are very good

Attachments

• IMG_6578.jpg
    IMG_6578.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6579.jpg
    IMG_6579.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing