An Introduction from Songer Audio

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I've a bunch of questions, although i don't want to steer the thread this early on.

(Given that my requirements are atypical. )

But I'm going to succumb and ask,
how important is bass performance to you?
What are your own preferred genres of music?

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
@songeraudio - I hate to ask but would you mind sharing the current price list?
Glad to! The S1 and S2 are both currently priced at $37,000 per pair, with power supplies. The power supplies are offered separately as well, at $3000 per pair. We anticipate some kind of price increase for the S2, but not until the new year.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
That's excellent news

Reactions: songeraudio

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I've a bunch of questions, although i don't want to steer the thread this early on.

(Given that my requirements are atypical. )

But I'm going to succumb and ask,
how important is bass performance to you?
What are your own preferred genres of music?
Interesting to think about that. Visually speaking, I obviously express myself a great deal in my work. Musically however, it is equally important to me that I not express myself at all. That part of the work is all craft, wholly meant for others, and is at it's best when I'm nowhere to be found in it. A beautifully balanced full-range presentation, both measured and perceived... that's my north star. Cheers.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Really great to see that you are innovating and creating new field coil drivers.
I think we are on the verge of an electromagnet renaissance, especially for the high end of the industry. There are no downsides, only upside (other than cost/complexity, which is not really relevant here.)

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Thanks so much, @Zeotrope. I agree with you, field coils are enjoying a much deserved renaissance in audio. I'm surprised however at how many people attending our first two shows had never knowingly heard a field coil, or had any real idea what they are. While it's unfortunate that field coils don't gain better exposure, on the bright side it's rewarding to be able to share something so unexplored for show attendees, and to watch them experience it.

I wanted to share a little good news! Just yesterday morning, Songer Audio was honored by Enjoy the Music with a "2022 Best of Capital Audiofest Award", to sit alongside our "Oasis Award" from Positive Feedback at 2022 the Pacific Audiofest in Seattle, last July. It's been such a wonderful debut year for us.

best_of_caf_2022_sepia.png

Tangent to that news, the latest pair of S1s in African rosewood were packed in crates a couple of days ago for a full review, also by Enjoy the Music. In a month or so, I'll fly out to Philadelphia for a day of listening in the reviewer's home - I'm really looking forward to that, it should be a lot of fun. Cheers, all.

IMG-0606.jpg

IMG-0608.jpg IMG-0609.jpg IMG-0611.jpg

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Congratulations!!! What a nice way to start a new year.
Will you share the reviews here when they are ready?

Field Coils - the ability to customize the sound based on the voltage is one of the unique aspects of electromagnetic speaker drivers. I also continue to be absolutely astonished at how important a quality power supply is. Just placing my power supply on an isolation base, filtering the incoming AC, and reducing the ground plane noise made a significant difference.

I like that @songeraudio has thought carefully about the power supply - other field coil speakers seem to gloss over this, and that’s a big mistake.

If you have field coil speakers, try not to use a cheap lab supply!

Also, it just seems intuitive to think that an electromagnet will be superior than a ‘passive’ magnet…

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Congratulations!!! What a nice way to start a new year.
Will you share the reviews here when they are ready?

Field Coils - the ability to customize the sound based on the voltage is one of the unique aspects of electromagnetic speaker drivers. I also continue to be absolutely astonished at how important a quality power supply is. Just placing my power supply on an isolation base, filtering the incoming AC, and reducing the ground plane noise made a significant difference.

I like that @songeraudio has thought carefully about the power supply - other field coil speakers seem to gloss over this, and that’s a big mistake.

If you have field coil speakers, try not to use a cheap lab supply!

Also, it just seems intuitive to think that an electromagnet will be superior than a ‘passive’ magnet…
Thank you, @Zeotrope! I'll be eager to share the review when it comes out! It'll be awhile - the reviewer will have them for 60-90 days. Well worth the wait though, we expect the S1 to knock some socks off. :)

You're very right about the power supply. I began driver development with lab supplies, and there just isn't any comparison between our current PS1 and anything that preceded it. I confess, I would like to try batteries one of these days as well, if only for comparison's sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Songer will you be at Axpona 2023?
We won't be at AXPONA this year @SOS, but we may well be in 2024. The next event we'll exhibit at is very likely T.H.E. Show in Costa Mesa, California in June. We'll be at Capital Audiofest again in the fall, as well. We're also looking to enlist owners over the coming year, to act as our official listening rooms across the country.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A big congratulations to you!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I'm pleased to share a simply magnificent write-up of the Songer Audio S1 just a few days ago, courtesy of Robert Ross and the Robb Report:

https://robbreport.com/.../songer-audio-s1-loudspeaker.../

We had the pleasure of Robert's company this past June at T.H.E. Show in Costa Mesa, CA. It was the last day of the show, and as the event began to wind down we were able to just enjoy good music and conversation together, with he and his friend Jay. We're grateful for Robert's thoughts, and honored that he was so captivated by the S1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing