Any negative effect using LL2.1 attenuator?

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
I am considering on getting a pair of Spatial Audio Lab X3 Premium speakers (Sensitivity is 97dB) and trying to see if I can get them to work with my main system, with the least amount of changes.

I have a Lamm LL2.1 preamp, LP2.1 phono and a pair of Quicksilver V4 mono's (newer KT150 model).

I contacted Mike Sanders of QuickSilver to find out what the gain of the V4 mono amps were, which I'm still waiting to get an exact number, but Mike told me that if I used the attenuator on the LL2.1, bringing the gain down from +18dB to +3dB I should be fine.

For some reason I thought I read somewhere only to use the LL2.1 attenuator if you had to, that it had a negative effect?
I am hoping that it does not and that using the attenuator will allow me to use my present gear and these speakers.

Suggestions and thoughts are very much appreciated!

Rick

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For some reason I thought I read somewhere only to use the LL2.1 attenuator if you had to, that it had a negative effect?
I am hoping that it does not and that using the attenuator will allow me to use my present gear and these speakers.

Not sure what you thought you read, but to my knowledge, there is no negative effect under normal operating conditions.

The switch to attenuate gain by -15dB was part of the unit's ".1" upgrade. It's specific purpose is to make the preamp more flexible for use in systems with high-voltage-gain amps or high-efficiency speakers. cf. my 2009 review

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Not sure what you thought you read, but to my knowledge, there is no negative effect under normal operating conditions.

The switch to attenuate gain by -15dB was part of the unit's ".1" upgrade. It's specific purpose is to make the preamp more flexible for use in systems with high-voltage-gain amps or high-efficiency speakers. cf. my 2009 review
Thank you Tima, just what I wanted to know :)

Reactions: tima

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
no remote :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
no remote :cool:
Lamm will never use a remote. I have no issue with that. It's the sound I care about as does Vladimir who feels a remote adversely affects the sound

Reactions: rich121

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing